• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition F class rules question

2Shots

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2011
So Indiana
Our rifle club is going to start shooting 500 yd F class this year. Until now the only long range rife has been my tactical shoot. I have been looking through the NRA rule book and can't figure out if any of my tactical guns are legal. Are muzzle brakes allowed? Supressors? I see weight limits, two classes, bipods and rear bags ok. Anything else I should worry about?

Re: F class rules question

F-T/R limits chamberings to .223/.308, and does not permit rests. F-Open permits other chamberings and allows rests or bipods. At 500yd and beyond, the .308 may begin to exceed the.223's performance. Some folks can make the .223 work out to 1000yd, but they are very good at what they do.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F-T/R limits chamberings to .223/.308, and does not permit rests. F-Open permits other chamberings and allows rests or bipods. At 500yd and beyond, the .308 may begin to exceed the.223's performance. Some folks can make the .223 work out to 1000yd, but they are very good at what they do.

Greg </div></div>

Greg,
FTR allows a bipod on the front and a bag rest on the back. I shoot a .223 and it will indeed hold its own against the .308's.
Rick

F-T/R = bipod in front and/or a sling.

Only other thing I can think of you may need to look into is which target you need for 500 yd F-class. The MR-65 is for use with iron sights, but I'm not sure which target you'd need for F-class at 500 yd. I'm guessing you might use the MR-63 for F-class at that range, but that is only a guess based on the X-ring diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F-T/R = bipod in front <span style="font-weight: bold">and/or a sling</span>.

</div></div>

True. I didn't mention the sling, as truthfully, I have never seen someone shoot FTR with one. I think it goes back to the old M1 days when they shot with a sling and rested on a sandbag. At least, that's what I was told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

True. I didn't mention the sling, as truthfully, I have never seen someone shoot FTR with one. </div></div>

It isn't common, but I have seen it done. Once was at the 2006 Nationals, Lane Buxton shot sling and iron sights in F-T/R class and placed very well indeed.

Darrell

2shots

You have to understand that the F Class rules are basically a subset of the HighPower rules. You need to look in both to find some of your answers. For instance "no brakes" is covered in the Highpower rules, and If I remember correctly, not specifically addressed in the F Class portion since it was already in there.(Highpower Rifle rule 3.16.1 and 3.16.1a)

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

True. I didn't mention the sling, as truthfully, I have never seen someone shoot FTR with one. </div></div>

It isn't common, but I have seen it done. Once was at the 2006 Nationals, Lane Buxton shot sling and iron sights in F-T/R class and placed very well indeed.

Darrell </div></div>

As part of recently taking over as one of the Mid-Range/Prone Match Directors at Palo Alto, I started getting refamiliarized with ALL the rules again and came across the "and/or" sling part. I mentioned that to a couple of the HM's and one who is a prone shooter said he may try FTR with a .308, sling and with optics one match. I may have to try it sometime in a practice match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Darrell </div></div>

Darrell,

Can you tell me whether it would be legal to use a bipod, rear bag, AND a sling, all at the same time? I could see how the addition of a sling to the bipod/rear bag combo may be desirable to some shooters, particularly those that have previously shot fullbore prone competitions in a category other than F-class. I really can't be certain from the rules whether you can use all three at the same time, although they could be read that way.

I think that was my problem, I was reading the F class section but I need to know the highpower rules that apply also.

I guess its safe to assume my non braked 260 or my 243 I can shoot open class. With bipod and rear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess its safe to assume my non braked 260 or my 243 I can shoot open class. With bipod and rear bag. </div></div>

Yes, but you could also use a front rest as the caliber alone would place you in Open Class where rests are allowed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Darrell </div></div>

Darrell,

<span style="font-weight: bold">Can you tell me whether it would be legal to use a bipod, rear bag, AND a sling</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">all at the same time?</span> I could see how the addition of a sling to the bipod/rear bag combo may be desirable to some shooters, particularly those that have previously shot fullbore prone competitions in a category other than F-class. I really can't be certain from the rules whether you can use all three at the same time, although they could be read that way. </div></div>

3.4.1 Rifle Rests -
(b) F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR) Rests - A bipod and/or sling are the only allowed front supports for the F-TR rifle. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">The rifle may be supported by a bipod <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span>/or sling and a rear support </span></span>which provide no positive mechanical method for returning it to its precise point of aim for the prior shot.

I would interpret this as yes.

Yes, you can use all three, but remember that the sling and bipod both count towards the 8.25kg (18.15lb) weight limit for F-T/R since both are attached to the rifle.

Thanks for your responses, that was also my interpretation from reading that section, but I wanted to hear it from someone else. Don't really want to try it myself, I need one hand for the rear bag. However, I can envision how someone used to shooting with a sling and jacket might want to stay in familiar territory yet give F-Class a try. Never hurts to promote the sport to other shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Can you tell me whether it would be legal to use a bipod, rear bag, AND a sling, all at the same time?
</div></div>

As others have noted, yes, it should be legal to run "belt and suspenders", but I'm not sure it'd be an accuracy aid.

Speaking hypothetically (as I've never tried such a thing) I would think that trying to hold all conditions equal from shot to shot would be about an order of magnitude harder with bipod loading, cheek pressure, rear bag manipulation, *and* throwing sling tension into the mix.

YMMV,

Darrell