• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F Class style rest for PRS rifle

Desert Rat

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2017
Just a random question that popped into my head, but does anyone use an F-class style rest when they are doing a load development for their PRS style rifle?

No I just use my bipod.

If you have a $$$ front rest sitting around, why not use it? Otherwise I don't think it is very critical to toss your bipod in favor of an SEB. Especially if you're never going to use it in the field.

Reactions: Desert Rat
Probably won't hurt anything, generally speaking. You will see some velocity differences if you don't shoulder the rifle the same.

Also, don't zero your rifle on the NEO or the like and then go to a match and such. Your zero will likely be different from the rest and on a bipod. As A NEO and rabbit ear back will allow the rifle to move almost perfectly to the rear, and your shoulder won't.

Because it’s heavy.
That’s why I don’t take mine out for stuff I’ll shoot off a bipod the rest of the time.

I'm very blessed that my shop, reloading benches, and shooting bench are all within 50' of my house. So it is much less of a hassle to lug around ~30 lbs of rest when it never moves.

Totally understand your position though.

I'll even add that there are days where I've shot better off of a bipod than my rest.

To each their own here.

I've strapped my gun to the bench when trying different bullet lengths to see if any of it really makes any difference by taking the shooter out of the picture , but we only used a bi pod in the front and a lab jack to adjust for the rear and come a along to strap it to the bench .

Shoot off a rest for load development all the time. Shoot matches off a bipod. Zero difference in muzzle velocity. POI shifts but I ZERO off my bipod.

Last edited:
Absolutely

Front rest, take more of the human component out of load development both vertical and horizontal.
Vertical can be seen in most instances with all variations of shooting, bipod, prone, bipod off a bench.
Horizontal is harder to identify shooting, of a bipod, prone, bipod off a bench. This is where the benefits of a front rest take over the recoil of the rifle is more linear (north south) and shows tunes that have too much horizontal.

Jack Neary Tuning Group Interpretation

Trevor