• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes F-Class Training With a 22lr and a Nightforce BR

lee1000

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2011
I’ve never shot further than 300 yards and would like shoot F-Class TR at 1000 yards with a 308. Other than what I’ve read on the internet I don't have a lot of experience with rifle marksmanship. I have an AR and have shot it with a 2-7 Redfield scope but the crosshairs are too wide to shoot well at 300.

A gunsmith at local shop in Tulsa recommended that I get 22 to practice with. I’ve bought a Savage Mark II BV and now I need a scope. My plan is to mount a Nightforce 12-42x56 BR on it with a 20 MOA rail. This same scope will eventually be mounted on my future 308. Using this scope on a 22 will allow me to become familiar with it and learn windage etc.

Does this plan make sense? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Is there anything I’m missing? One thing I do know is I’ll need to shoot subsonic rounds. Once I’m familiar with my setup (ie scope adjustments, basic wind reading) I intend to get formal one on one training.

Anyone know of a gunsmith in Tulsa that has experience in building custom 1000 yard rifles? I’ll probably buy a 308 from a pawn shop just to get the basics down with the new cartridge. Keep in mind I don’t reload yet. That will be a different thread hahaha.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a NF in Tulsa?

Thanks in advance

Re: F-Class Training With a 22lr and a Nightforce BR

You can put a Nightforce on a 22 but you will need more then a 20moa rail. You may want to start with a 30moa rail. This is assuming you are looking to practice at 200 maybe 300 yards. The BR has only 40 min of elevation. Besides that there is nothing wrong with using the NF on a 22.

Caveat, you may find some handling issues as the NF is 32oz sitting on top of a 5 lbs rifle.

I have a NF 12x42 Br model on my F/TR rifle and my 22 trainer has a weaver T24 I can comfortable practice out to 200yards. The weaver has 1/8 min turret with 9min revolution while the NF has 1/8 turret with 6min revolution.

Ammo… target ammo is best which one is up to the rifle. You should by several different makers and lots to see which one your rifle likes best and then go buy as much of that lot as you can. A good starting point would be to get Lapua, Eley or RWS others, like Wolf or SK have also proven themselves.

Good luck
Trevor

You could also use a 2 minute rail and Burris Signature Zee rings w/ the offset inserts to help buy yourself some extra elevation. It might be tough to find a 30 minute rail-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could also use a 2 minute rail and Burris Signature Zee rings w/ the offset inserts to help buy yourself some extra elevation. It might be tough to find a 30 minute rail- </div></div>
^^^^^ THIS if you can get it

Good trigger control should be in grained in you before you attempt 1000 yard shooting of any type. Once you have that you can compete in many rifle events. Without it your goofed in all events. The 22lr will help for that but the truth to getting a 308 to shoot at 1000 yards is 75% reading the wind and 25% load development.

training with the 22 in my opinion is a good tool. we have been using them for a few years now to shoot past 200 as practice with wind and elevation. i never thought such little wind could effect point of impact so much at 100 yards.

Excellent way to start. Using a .22 will force you to master every aspect of marksmanship as it applies to F-class.(Position behind the rifle/trigger control/bipod use) Mostly due to the fact that the in barrel time for the projectile is longer. Every small mistake shows on target.

Initially, you will want to focus on these basics at relatively close range before moving out farther. Once you have the basics down, and you have seen your groups shrink, then you can challenge yourself at 100yds on out.

If you plan on using the NF in your .308 F/TR rifle in the future, buy a dedicated scope for the .22 now and be done with it.

I had egw make a 30moa rail for my mk2, cost me $65 shipped and was ready in about a week or so after ordering. May have to go with some taller rings with the 56mm objective, the 30moa slopes down more than you realize. I have a 50mm on top of my 20moa rail on my other mk2 and it is tight. I run a 40mm obj on the 30moa and warne low rings on both setups.

EGW makes nice stuff, didn't know they would make a custom piece.

If you use the NF or any other scope with minimal travel (many target scopes, especially with 1 inch tubes), then go with the 30moa rail. But, that may get unwieldly with regard to check weld. I know there are many folks who shoot the .22 at longer than usual distance, but beyond 100yds, the feedback that I get on target is diminished.

For me, a setup that gets close to my competition rifle is the best compromise. Setting up a .22 to shoot at 2-300yds is a very specific setup.