• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F.....g Federal Champion

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
So I have been buying this ammo for the last few months , expecting to keep the brass to reload. Well, I just found out they use small pistol primers!!!!Aaaaargh!!!

I guess I should have checked, but I just assumed they would use large pistol primers as is the norm with .45 acp.

Guess the lesson is to always doubletriple check.

Re: F.....g Federal Champion

Seeing as all my books give loads with large primers, how does using small primers effect the loads? Can I use the same loads?

Yes. Start 10% low and work up as you should always do.

Buy a box or 5 of small primers to keep on hand just for range brass and enjoy.

I noticed this with some brass I found at the range. I just tossed them. I didn't want to deal with having a separate load just for those pieces of brass. If that's the only brass you will be reloading..load em up!

Federal, Speer, and all the other ATK companies have been making SP .45 brass for the past year. Some folks believe that eventually all manufacturers will make SP .45 brass so they can stock one type of primer and make the environmentalists happy.

It doesn't shoot any different that LP brass. I use the same loads and it chronos the same. When I switch my 550 over to SP to load 9mm I just break out my SP .45 brass.

Small primer .45's are the scourge of my loading operation. Talk about bringing your Dillon progressive to a halt! I shitcan every piece I run across! Took me a couple of hangups to figure I had a few mixed in with my good brass. CKruse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckruse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Small primer .45's are the scourge of my loading operation. Talk about bringing your Dillon progressive to a halt! I shitcan every piece I run across! Took me a couple of hangups to figure I had a few mixed in with my good brass. CKruse </div></div>

You get the feel of it after a few, though, and it doesn't stop you for long...

I definitely give the brass a good luck before throwing it back in my bag. I would actually prefer to use small primer 45 brass, but I have so much large primer brass stockpiled, I can't make the switch. I use small primer for rifle, so I could load both on my Dillon 650.

The other advantage of small primer pistol is that the primers are semi-interchangeable with small rifle primers. Small rifle is a lot hotter, but it will fit in the hole. Large rifle primers will protrude from a 45 and shouldn't be used if you are concerned about safety.

small primers 45 is a bit touchy, I have noticed that with the same powder charge as with large primers only loads with 230 gr ball will cycle my kimber, sig 220 and S&W MP.
hope this helps.