• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition F TR build question- bottom metal bbl channel questions

chipsfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Northeast USA
Hi,

I am going to build an F TR rifle on a 700 action. I have this stock WO an inlet- I plan on sending it off to mcmillian to be inletted http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-par...lan-f-class-rifle-stocks-prod53532.aspx?dym=y

Bottom metal- What are most guys on 700 actions doing? DBM seems silly. Are they doing BDL or ADL inlets?

Barrel channel- I'll be running a number 7- do most guys have a straight open channel so they can unscrew barrels?

Thank you

Most dedicated F-TR rifles are single feed since that's the way you have to shoot them in the matches.

This is a decision point for you. Are you building a dedicated F-TR rifle or are you going to want to do other stuff with it? My Defiance Rebel is a single feed target action, my R700 is like a lot of other guys and has a single feed follower epoxied into the cutout and all of the other feeding parts are removed.

The only reason for any kind of feed inlet is if you want to use it for other than single feed target shooting. My rifles weigh over 16 lbs w/o the bipods and have 32" barrels. They are target rigs, and I don't see that I'll use them for anything else.

edit, I just looked at your stock picture. Those are usually F-Open stocks. Not sure how it's going to work for a TR stock, maybe someone here can chime in. If you are going to use that as an F-TR stock while they are inletting the stock you probably want to get them to cut 3/8 to 1/2 inch or drop from the grip to the heel of the stock unless you are using a Seb joypod. That way you can fine tune elevation by moving up and back, otherwise you are going to be fiddling with your bipod just about ever shot, or having to squeeze your bag.

Last edited:
I have a drop box on my ftr rig. I just have the cdi single shot adapter in mine. I use the same action for other shooting so all mine have dbm in them.