• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F2000 vs Kel-tec RFB

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Any thoughts on these two. Both seem like great CQB rifles with very similar forward ejection designs...though KT is much cheaper. I've always thought of Kel-Tec as a cheap brand, but it looks like a solid rifle. Not sure about 7.62 for this type of rifle though as it seems like you'd want a lower recoil option like 9mm or 5.56 as in some more traditional options like the hk.

Anyone used either of these?

Re: F2000 vs Kel-tec RFB

All the Kel-Tec stuff I have shot has been 100% crap. If you were to place the two rifles near each other it would be hard to tell the better built one due to FNH not building the best rifle also. I always have tried to stay away from guns that are hard to get parts for. The factor here for me would be what do you want a .308 or a 5.56

I would not buy neither of them, and I'd be particularly careful before investing that chunk of cash in a KelTec firearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts on these two. Both seem like great CQB rifles with very similar forward ejection designs...though KT is much cheaper. I've always thought of Kel-Tec as a cheap brand, but it looks like a solid rifle. Not sure about 7.62 for this type of rifle though as it seems like you'd want a lower recoil option like 9mm or 5.56 as in some more traditional options like the hk.

Anyone used either of these? </div></div>

This in 6.8SPC or one the shorter versions if you are LEO would be my pick.Great guns and all the controls are in the right places.Very reliable after they are broke in.

http://www.robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlstd/index.aspx

Steve

Robinson armament wanted the Assault Weapon Ban signing Romney to win, I assume because they are both Mormon. Fuck Robinson Arms.

JMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you were to place the two rifles near each other it would be hard to tell the better built one due to FNH not building the best rifle also.</div></div>Please expand on this. I have a SCAR and it is one of the finest built carbines I have ever had the pleasure of holding. Not a rifle, but I also have an FNP 9 that is a FANTASTIC pistol, at any price, and a steal at what you can buy them for. From my experience, FNH makes some of the highest quality guns you can buy.

He was referring to the FS200 bullpup in his comments, not the SCAR. I had considered the Kel Tec RFB also, and have not heard anything bad about them, but it is hard to find reviews on it, either good or bad.

For bullpups, if money is an issue, the MSAR STGs are crazy cheap right now and I enjoy the heck out of mine.

5234.jpg

Be careful with the RFB. I have 3 friends who purchased one and all of them got rid of it within 2 months (for about half the MSRP).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk12Matt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful with the RFB. I have 3 friends who purchased one and all of them got rid of it within 2 months (for about half the MSRP). </div></div>

Why did they get rid of them?

The thing about the RFB, is I don't know of any other bullpup design that is 7.62 and affordable......would be a hog slayin' machine.

Have never fired an AUG, but have some time with the FN 2000.

AUG seems to have better "pointability" and feel to me. Don't really like the FN forward handgrip. FN trigger need to be pre-loaded to get a decent feel. AUG trigger also is not the best, but I think looking at an AUG might be the way to go. But probably would spend the few extra dollars for an real one, and not get the reverse-engineered MSAR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk12Matt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful with the RFB. I have 3 friends who purchased one and all of them got rid of it within 2 months (for about half the MSRP). </div></div>

Really? On the Kel Tec forums, most people still can't even find RFBs since Kel Tec has made like 400 so far.

I have to call BS.

I have had both the 16 inch, and 20 inch Steyr Augs. I now have an FN FS2000. It is plenty accurate enough, but like the Aug suffers from a pretty crummy trigger pull. One thing I like about the FS2000 is that the barrel and sights are removed and replaced as a unit.

Even though my Steyr Augs always returned to zero, it bothered me to remove the barrel and expect it to return to zero...although they always did. With the way the FS2000 is set up I don't worry about that.

It is a handy little rifle for enclosed spaces. You can't remove the factory muzzle brake without alot of trouble, and underneath it are left handed threads anyhow. So, don't buy one with the intent of mounting a different muzzle system on it...not easily anyhow. The brake is pinned on and the pin would have to be drilled out.

The RFB has an extremely good trigger for a bullpup, and is surprisingly well-built. With a loaded 20rd magazine the balance point is almost directly over the pistol grip. Accuracy is very roughly comparable to decent FALs, neither terrible nor incredible. Most people who handle and shoot one tend to like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The RFB has an extremely good trigger for a bullpup, and is surprisingly well-built. With a loaded 20rd magazine the balance point is almost directly over the pistol grip. Accuracy is very roughly comparable to decent FALs, neither terrible nor incredible. Most people who handle and shoot one tend to like it. </div></div>

I've been looking at some myself.... I won't be able to get it for a while (spend WAYYYY too much this year on rifles. Had a custom Saiga 12 and my custom R700 built) so it will have to be a '12 weapon...

Gunblast guy did a review on it, and he had sub moa groups with federal match ammo... so I would have to say that's pretty good... if you are a reloader and can do some good load dev, I wouldn't be surprised for 1/2 moa groups if you do you part...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Federal Gold Medal 168 grain hollowpoint was by far the most accurate ammunition tested in this RFB carbine, grouping reliably under three-quarters of an inch for three shots at one hundred yards. </div></div>
DSC09884.JPG

Shot a freinds msar several times and trigger sucks, read of ways to improve but havent tried a mod'd one.
The MSAR was decent accuracy wise and fun intersting gun.
Havent tried the RFB but friend who's a member here loves his. Maybe he'll chime in.

I have an FS2000 but no RFB. I have some other FN weapons and not one of them have any functional or build quality issues. FN builds good stuff.

The FS2000 does have a heavy trigger though. I have a neu-trigger on the way to see how it improves the situation. The rifle shoulders very well. The short OAL makes it very maneuverable.

Despite the heavy trigger, mine is suprisingly accurate. The back-up sights are just that. I run a magnified Aimpoint on mine.

It breaks down easily and is easy to clean. The "switch" that runs the forward ejection is kinda fiddly though. After a few times removing and reinstalling it it becomes second nature, however.

The front grip can be replaced by an OEM accessory rail.

decide if you want 308 or 223 first that might make your decision rather easy.

I think the FN is nice in some way, but I don’t like the way it handles, and when you take it apart the gun innards look suspiciously like innards of a super soakers. Between the two I would go with the RFB at least it’s not a glorified $2,000 super soaker. I don’t mind plastic if it’s monolithic and welded together, but the FS2000 is held tighter by a lot of little screws…

After a steep learning curve, I was able to find some decent handloads for the Keltec RFB. That said, the gun has yet to malfuction, and I am up to 200 rounds. The RFB does NOT like NATO ammo or 168g SMK's. However, here are some recent 5 round groups (Seems like I pulled a shot more than once, but I was able to call it almost every time).
The trigger is great for a BullPup, but is hard to get used too (I am a bolt-gun guy).

Anyhow, 168g Hornady A-Max COAL-2.795in, Federal once fired brass, CCI primers, Brass Full length sized to a Dillon .308 Case gauge. This rifle is not a bench gun, and shooting it off a front rest was somewhat a challenge. One point of interest, using a bag at the rear would sometimes hit the Mag release upon recoil.

This rifle is sensitive to powder changes in the 0.2g range, and would open up to 2+in groups (but I can vary my gas...).

Varget Loads were developed with help from Ormandj from the KTOG website,and I used QuickLoad to try and keep the bullet in barrel time around 1mSec

<span style="font-weight: bold">100 Yards Off Bench</span>

432gVarget168Amax.jpg

432TAC168gAmax.jpg

432IMR4895168Amax.jpg

426gTAC168Amax.jpg

I'd pass on the MSAR since they filed for bankruptcy, even though it appears that Ratworx will be doing any warranty work on those rifles.

IMO, the FS2000 feels bulky for a 223, but it is FN, so you should not have any issues.

I own the RFB and that thing is pretty awesome. The RFB feels like no other Kel Tec, which is a good thing since the cost is more than the other KT firearms. The RFB is 1MOA shooter with my reloads, but I just don't see how you can get sub MOA groups consistently with the rifle because it's a PITA to shoot off of the bench due to the mag being rearward. I have a tough time getting a good fit with my rear bag. I am sure that buying a 10rd DSA mag would help. What I like most about the RFB is that it's a true ambi rifle and when you shoot it left handed, it's not going to eject hot brass in your face. The 27" OAL doesn't hurt either.