• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FA vs DPMS BCG (308)

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
Just got a Maten receiver (okay, its in the mail to my FFL) and my next purchase will be a BCG (I'm buying things over time so as to spread out the pain). Looking at DPMS or Fulton Armory. The DPMS seems to be the choice of many, but I can't seem to find any in stock. The FA is in stock. Here are URLs to both items: DPMS Bolt Carrier Assembly LR-308 308 Winchester Matte and Bolt Carrier Group, .308 AR, with Staked Key, Includes Complete Bolt. The prices are basically the same, so are there any differences in quality? Should I hold out for the DPMS one? Any caveats I should be aware of?

They are the same thing. The Fulton Armory BCG is just a rebranded DPMS BCG. I am using one in my MaTen currently and it works just fine.

To be honest with you, I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I would say most people don't even know to look there or may think they are a different spec when building their MaTen in a DPMS pattern. When I think of Fulton, I think of M1As, not their "FAR-308" line of rifles.

Before I ordered mine a couple years ago, I called FA directly and asked them if it wad DPMS spec and they confirmed that. The fit and finish on mine was really good (I got the chrome BCG with phosphate bolt). The only complaint I had was that the firing pin retaining pin was loose and wants to fall out if i tilt the bolt that way, but that is a simple and cheap fix.

Last edited:
FA = LR-308 pattern

They both use the same 8620 steel for the carriers and 9310 steel for the bolts themselves...no difference in their specs and I suspect (unconfirmed) that the parts come from the same factory. ;)

I just finished helping a buddy assembly an SI Defense upper/lower (LR-308 pattern) using a FA BCG (Chromed...not the park'd one linked to above). They are quality parts. He's running his build with a JP enhanced bolt headspaced to his barrel in lieu of the FA bolt, but I wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with running a complete BCG from FA.

Now...as for DPMS vs. FA...unless you just HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW...the quality will be comparable (if not identical) between the two brands. If those are the options at hand...I'd buy on price point and not worry too much about the name.

FA = LR-308 pattern

They both use the same 8620 steel for the carriers and 9310 steel for the bolts themselves...no difference in their specs and I suspect (unconfirmed) that the parts come from the same factory. ;)

I just finished helping a buddy assembly an SI Defense upper/lower (LR-308 pattern) using a FA BCG (Chromed...not the park'd one linked to above). They are quality parts. He's running his build with a JP enhanced bolt headspaced to his barrel in lieu of the FA bolt, but I wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with running a complete BCG from FA.

Now...as for DPMS vs. FA...unless you just HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW...the quality will be comparable (if not identical) between the two brands. If those are the options at hand...I'd buy on price point and not worry too much about the name.

I did a quick look at FA's site and the only chrome one I see is side-cocking (of course I'm probably just missing it). Since the prices are about 6 dollars different, I'm not gonna sweat it. Is a chromed BCG something I should be considering?

I did a quick look at FA's site and the only chrome one I see is side-cocking (of course I'm probably just missing it). Since the prices are about 6 dollars different, I'm not gonna sweat it. Is a chromed BCG something I should be considering?

To each their own re: BCG coatings/platings/etc. I've never been much a fan of hard chroming carriers (externals anyway) as I have seen some that badly chipped/peeled/flaked in the past, but it damned sure makes clean-up, especially if you'll be shooting the rifle suppressed, MUCH easier/faster. A quality, park'd/phosphated BCG that is well-maintained/lubed/etc. will work just fine...been working just fine for MANY decades now...and will serve you quite well in the long run. Your call as to whether any such coatings are worth the premium to you or not.

To each their own re: BCG coatings/platings/etc. I've never been much a fan of hard chroming carriers (externals anyway) as I have seen some that badly chipped/peeled/flaked in the past, but it damned sure makes clean-up, especially if you'll be shooting the rifle suppressed, MUCH easier/faster. A quality, park'd/phosphated BCG that is well-maintained/lubed/etc. will work just fine...been working just fine for MANY decades now...and will serve you quite well in the long run. Your call as to whether any such coatings are worth the premium to you or not.

I see no reason to get one then, I don't shoot a high enough volume to make cleaning it an issue. I'll grab the FA one unless the DPMS one comes back in stock in the next few days.

I guess I should add one more to the runing, CMMG's 308 BCG. I handled one of their 223 guns (not 100% sure which) and it felt really nice. How do they compare?

The carrier I just received from FA has a "D" stamped on the side of it and has the same milled shape on the side of the bolt as my issued DPMS 308.

Matt