• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Face full of gas

XLIV

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2002
Bonner County Idaho
Any idea what caused this?

I got a faceful of hot gas. Factory FGGM in a Steyr SSG69 P1.

Third to last shot in a 300 yard prone match. It threw me just out of the score ring to drop 10 points and finish last place. Checked the rifle all seems ok..

Re: Face full of gas

from what i have read around here federal brass is pretty soft. i have had the same thing happend to me but it was 3 rounds out of the same box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send it to the manufacturer, complain = free ammo...... Maybee.... </div></div>

This seemed like a decent idea at first..then I realized he would be getting more ammo like the ammo above, which doesn't seem to be a good thing at this point!

OP: I am glad that things are alright with you though and nothing too serious happened to you or your rig. I would contact the company and tell them what happened but I would do this from a safety point not a free ammo one. Maybe there were problems with this batch and they would need to be recalled or something?

Was it a reload or brand new?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it a reload or brand new? </div></div>

Looks like a reload to me. You can see where the full length sizer stopped on the casing.

Factories reload ammo all the time. Even Lake City. M855 Factory, XM855 Reloaded Factory.

I would absolutely contact the company if you yourself didnt reload this ammo. They may have some issues on their hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I got a faceful of hot gas. Factory FGGM in a Steyr SSG69 P1.
</div></div>

That says factory ammo there. I would be on the phone with Fed and I would bet they hook you up with a coupon for some cash off or some free ammo. I complained about a couple boxes of 223 ammo that was blowing primers in 3 diff rifles and they took what I had left and doubled what I originally purchased in return.

I would also check that rifle for excessive head space.
If you plan to reload for that rifle, brass life could be very short.

Also does this rifle have a fluted chamber?

Case rupture. At first I thought this might be caused by an extractor-This would only be caused in an auto-loader-I think.
This has to be shit brass.

It's factory white box 168 that CMP was selling last year. The base soot is from the gas that shot back. Some of the gas blew out the magazine and most came back at my face. I will now seriously think about glasses when shooting.

Headspace is good, the lugs held the bolt (thank you Jesus) and a quick inspection showed no damage other than confidence and having my name called last in the match.

I will send the box with this case to manufacturer so that the lot # can be recorded. I'd not want this to happen to a junior shooter if some of this lot went to a CMP shooting club. Thanks for your comments. First failure for me.

Been my experience that companies take this very seriously. Had some (very) bad BHA in .223 that just wasn't going off, 3 out of 50rd. Company said, of course, they couldn't understand why this was happening, blamed the gun (of course) but were happy to send me several hundred rounds to replace the ammo I sent them, and then some. They actually sent 200 rds of .45 acp at first, I called, then they sent the .223. Gun never misfired with homebrewed ammo before or since. I cooked up a load that is more consistent than BHA match for that gun and have stuck with it.

Had factory PMC ammo squib screw up an HC P7M8 a few years back. I weighed out an entire box of 9mm on video, about every 10th round was light. They paid for HK to rebuild the gun (had to mill out the barrel as the second round kind of jammed things up), and sent me another 1000 rds to replace the bad ammo. Interesting thing was it was something like lot # 000001, really.

FGGM is supposed to be some of the best. They'll jump on this.
I (almost) only ever shoot reloads now.

PMC is some cheap stuff, I was at the range a few weeks ago with a guy i work with, and he couldn't get a round to chamber.... turns out PMC had jammed, and then crimped the ever-living shit out of a .270 bullet in a .30-06 case... i know the cases are basically the same with a variation on the shoulder, but this was store bought ammo. I told the guy to send it back but it was the last round out of a 20 round box so he didn't feel like screwing with it. The brass was even stamped .30-06.

You should def call the manufacturer and have them take care of this for you. Also it is good for any reputable manufacturer to know when they have quality issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLIV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will now seriously think about glasses when shooting. </div></div>

I was wearing glasses when I blew up a 1911 yrs ago, if I hadn't been I'd wager that I'd have probably lost some or all of the vision in my right and some in the left.

The other thing is you don't know what the guy next to you is shooting.

seeing > blind

therefore

Glasses = good

yes ,..have seen this recently. Its caused by crap case/corrosion on case. This can occur when the glue in the cardboard packaging attacks the surface of the case. It sometimes is obvious as a "blue" pigmentation on the effected area. It is one reason why bulk lots of otherwise excellent ammo come up as surplus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it a reload or brand new? </div></div>

Looks like a reload to me. You can see where the full length sizer stopped on the casing.

Factories reload ammo all the time. Even Lake City. M855 Factory, XM855 Reloaded Factory.

I would absolutely contact the company if you yourself didnt reload this ammo. They may have some issues on their hands. </div></div>
Your just seeing the contrast between the chamber and the unsupported base.

Huh...federal supplies my agency. Over the past year I have seen dozens of primers being blown out (poss due to over pressure). And some of it has been on match grade stuff. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Don't know how the chamber could have survived without having a big dose of gas cutting.

Bore Scope time.