• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Facial Hair Dilemma

ISBe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2010
Madison, TN
So I'm having problems with my CTR stock pulling out my facial hair. Anyone else have this problem? What are you doing about it?

Re: Facial Hair Dilemma

Just shave the one side of your face
laugh.gif

20110129125441croppierc.png

I have the same issues, but if I can deal, I'm pretty sure that you can, too. I roll mine up and use bands to make a "goatee-tail," and I may or may not slick it up a bit with some sort of gel stuff to keep stray hairs from popping out. The more beard, the harder it is to avoid tangles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL...I just have a goatee. </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOxDzBmyzbM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOxDzBmyzbM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That shit hurts! I look down and see like 4 hairs stuck between the stock and tube. Figured I'd better do something about it before I have a bald spot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bukakke mask? </div></div>

Maybe Savage 110 might oblige you. Me, I'm sort of promised to the old lady, you know?

Regular M4 stocks did that to me too. The UBR doesn't grab my beard though.

The Vltor are much worse, try one and you will never complain about the CTR again. All those stupid notches down the entire length
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vltor are much worse, try one and you will never complain about the CTR again. All those stupid notches down the entire length
mad.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, I run an EMOD, I know.

Wow, for once I'm grateful I can't have a beard at work. The things I miss...

No, but the charging handle on the SCAR sometimes gets caught in my ball fro when a shoot it from the hip with no pants on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That shit hurts! I look down and see like 4 hairs stuck between the stock and tube. Figured I'd better do something about it before I have a bald spot! </div></div>

Think thats bad?

I woke up a few months ago and overnight a patch of my facial hair just up and dissapeared!

Alopecia Barbae... its a mthfkr!

never had trouble with a rifle, I did have some snatched out while shooting archery.

Yes, I have had that problem many times with collapsable stock M4s. The best and most dangerous way to release your face without pain is to fire one more round at the same time gently remove your face from the stock. This has about a 95% success rate, and while this technique is generally not to frowned upon overseas, local gun ranges may not see the humor in this.
Another alternative is MagPuls UBR butstock.

Does anyone else see the crazy loyalty to gear as a psychological problem?

I see this as similar to when I go to my Dr and say, "doc, it hurts when I do this", to which he usually replies "don't do that".

Not too many ways around it:
-get a different stock.
-shave.
-pull your skirt up and deal with it.

Me, having CTR's, Emods and 6 position stocks has just made me realize that I like A1 and A2 stocks.
If I were slated to run a carbine as a tool of employment and the situation proved a CTR to be the best tool and It really bothered me I'd shave.

I admit that at times I do wear a skirt, usually only on halloween or other special occasions, but the beard question is viable. Sometimes I don't even hike it up, it just rides up on its own.
However, in some operational enviorments shaving is not always an option or even sanitary.So I consider the question valid. Remember that this is a sniper forum and some of the military on here, especially the regular forces, don't have the option to modify or purchase aftermarket equipment. They have to make do with what they are given.
Having your face welded to your stock by your beard in a stressful situation sucks, and even momentarily, even for just a slit second, it can be a combat distractor.

Perhaps try the LMT SOPMOD stock.

Ripping face hair off a stock (VLTOR, Larue RISR, etc.) is akin to putting your cheek (shaved or not) against a metal retracting stock or stock extension (M4, SAW, G3) in sub-zero Alaska, Canada, Norway, or the Hindu Kush.

You know it's REALLY cold when instead of a bang you get a click because you've just broken a cold-embrittled firing pin.

Ah, AR stock hair-grabbage is nuthin', really. Wait until the wind comes in from your left and picks your beard up and shoves into the action of a pump shotgun while you're tryin' to shuck shells and jive ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, but the charging handle on the SCAR sometimes gets caught in my ball fro when a shoot it from the hip with no pants on. </div></div>

I was teabagging the ejection port on my Garand when the slide released...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah, AR stock hair-grabbage is nuthin', really. Wait until the wind comes in from your left and picks your beard up and shoves into the action of a pump shotgun while you're tryin' to shuck shells and jive ...</div></div>

This is all for amateurs.

For a serious beard-removal technique, try shooting a Bushmaster M17 Bullpup left-handed. There's nothing like frantically trying to rip a rifle off your cheek while the ejected brass is simultaneously branding your face and burning your hair.

Some mistakes only happen once...

My dad once told me that he would beat me if he ever heard me complain about anything that makes me a man....

To answer your question... beat yourself.

LOL yea my CTR does this all the time, just smile and appreciate the fact that you are able to grow a beard.

When I had a full beard and needed to trim I'd just go shooting. Remember to shoot weak-side for an even trim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regular M4 stocks did that to me too. The UBR doesn't grab my beard though. </div></div>

+1, got tired of that and bought a UBR myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remember that this is a sniper forum and some of the military on here, especially the regular forces, don't have the option to modify or purchase aftermarket equipment. <span style="font-weight: bold">They have to make do with what they are given</span>.
</div></div>

Looks like that would be the answer in the situation you allude to.
While I respect your experience, and I appreciate the knowledge available on this forum-to infer that this thread would be an training q&a for a troop in harm's way is borderline laughable. Are our forces really going to search a forum online to find out how to deal with a snagged beard hair, really?
This is a sniper forum, and the slated guys I know would let fire ants move their queen into their ball fro without it compromising their mission or position. Talk to Magpul if you think their CTR is liable for troops dying....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remember that this is a sniper forum and some of the military on here, especially the regular forces, don't have the option to modify or purchase aftermarket equipment. <span style="font-weight: bold">They have to make do with what they are given</span>.
</div></div>

Looks like that would be the answer in the situation you allude to.
While I respect your experience, and I appreciate the knowledge available on this forum-to infer that this thread would be an training q&a for a troop in harm's way is borderline laughable. Are our forces really going to search a forum online to find out how to deal with a snagged beard hair, really?
This is a sniper forum, and the slated guys I know would let fire ants move their queen into their ball fro without it compromising their mission or position. Talk to Magpul if you think their CTR is liable for troops dying.... </div></div>

That retort on your part was quite valid. And I don't think that getting your beard stuck in your stock is going to get you killed. Chances are slim to none of that happening. I've had it happen stateside and over seas and although it'll get your attention, it's a relativly small matter. I was merely trying to impress that while I love to have fun and joke, little things that increase your comfort and ability to focus add up. And just as someone can momentarily pause or flinch at the thought of heavy recoil they could do the same thing if everytime they pull the trigger on their M4 they rip out beard hair. But the truth is we are really just bitching and whining about nothing because that's what we do when we are happy. That and be argumentative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps try the LMT SOPMOD stock. </div></div>

This has worked well for me.

I shoot Service Rifle, So when I am shooting standing I get a few mustache hairs pulled out, I just put a length of black electric tape over the stock and lower receiver meet.It works ans is cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot Service Rifle, So when I am shooting standing I get a few mustache hairs pulled out, I just put a length of black electric tape over the stock and lower receiver meet.It works ans is cheap. </div></div>

unbelievable, after all these posts someone actually put up a solution

I use a similar but more permanent cover for the hair grabbing joint, I put a sheet of moleskin on the stock with a doubled over flap 1/8 to 1/4 inch over the front of the stock, thin enough to allow the charging handle to pass over the top. Also covers the holes smoothing out the cheek weld area and when shaved in the summer soaks up the sweat and skin oil. I also use moleskin on wood stocks that get slippery from oily sweat. When it gets nasty peel it off and change it, 1 $ per sheet and works for blister care also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wear a light-weight bandana or facemask of some sort? </div></div>

I wanna see the looks you get wearing a bandanna at the range.

Would not be a problem for me. Chemo made my hair, beard and eye brows all fall out.
So, I wish I had the opportunity about something pulling my hair out.
As for the UBR, I had one on a REAPER and did not care for it much. One of the few Magpul pieces of kit I can say that about.

I consider my hair and beard a billy ghillie.
If it gets caught then so what.
Try to keep your upper lip kinda trimmed, as that hurts more when it gets ripped out.
Gets your attention though don't it?

Haha, I've tried several stocks and the SOPMOD is the only one that doesn't give me a nasty surprise when I move face off the stock.

On a positive note, the hair sticking between the stock and tube helps my cheek weld because I'm afraid to move...

Maybe we should "accidently" let a bunch of these stocks made for AK's be stolen by the Taliban. ALALALALALA!

Kinda like the saying in golf.
Keep your head down.
Got a fix for that too, but more painful.

Not really a problem with fixed stocks.
Never been "caught" in a handgun.
Guess we made it one when trying to find that happy medium.

Form and function over brand or buying.
Two words.
Got leather?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather

Let's keep this kinda on track.
Longbow arm gaurd is actually my rifle cheek piece.
No hairs caught.

Not in the wiki.
http://braintanner.com/
Thickness is what you have.
Hair can be removed by ashes and water.
This method never invovled buying, or going to the store.
It was all in one simple package.

Added above content.

I say you braid that sh*t up, wear a tri-corn hat, and say 'arr' alot.

You can be blackbeard the range pirate.

Bonus points if shooting black powder....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a solution for you hairy bastards..SHAVE
laugh.gif
</div></div>

don't piss me off....
DSCN1048.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah, AR stock hair-grabbage is nuthin', really. Wait until the wind comes in from your left and picks your beard up and shoves into the action of a pump shotgun while you're tryin' to shuck shells and jive ...</div></div>

This is all for amateurs.

For a serious beard-removal technique, try shooting a Bushmaster M17 Bullpup left-handed. There's nothing like frantically trying to rip a rifle off your cheek while the ejected brass is simultaneously branding your face and burning your hair.

Some mistakes only happen once... </div></div>

This made me fucking giggle like a girl..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlterEgo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say you braid that sh*t up, wear a tri-corn hat, and say 'arr' alot.

You can be blackbeard the range pirate.

Bonus points if shooting black powder.... </div></div>

More like Jack Sparrow the Raging Queen of the Spanish Main

jacksparrow.jpg

Maybe adjusting the stock length to where your hair does not meet the stock and the tube?