• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fact or Fiction about Custom Rifle Accuracy?

cobbonthecorn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
I am still in the planning phase of a project to build a rifle for 1000+. (To be fair to myself I will not start my project until mid-next year so I can learn as much as possible and make as few mistakes in this first build as possible.) In all of my reading here, other precision shooting sites, and custom gun shop web sites it has been pretty common to hear a custom build rifle, let's say .338 LM, will be delivered with 1/2 MOA accuracy. Last evening I came across a site promising 1/4 MOA. More over, I think on this site, there was a posting showing targets and results that were sub 1/4 MOA. Now my question, what should my expectations be, and what specifications can I reasonably set and receive from a custom rifle builder? Thanks in advance!

While your planning your rifle, gathering information, go to a 1000 yard rifle match, F-Class and NRA High Power.......See how many 1/4 in groups you see on those targets. That would be 2.5 inches actual.

Most can not realize the accuracy of an off shelf rig

you can expect your rifle to perform within the limits of you skill, regardless of how much it cost

You are the lim factor not the rifle

Most can not realize the accuracy of an off shelf rig

you can expect your rifle to perform within the limits of you skill, regardless of how much it cost

You are the lim factor not the rifle

There's truth to what jedi says, but if you pay someone to build a custom rifle, with quality components, if it won't group 1/4", I'd bring it back. Any custom gun I've owned will shoot 1/4", except a snipetac, because of base and scope, I had to run a 600 yard zero, but it shot a 3/4" there.
If you're not capable of shooting 1/4", find someone who can.
And for what Kraig said, there's a little more involved when grouping at 1k, like the wind.
If you limit a custom gun to what a factory gun can do, you're just handicapping yourself from the start.

kraigWY- I did look at some scores posted on-line but assumed most of those were achieved after considerable gun tuning, not to mention load development. jedi- I would be the first to admit I will be the limiting factor for a while. milo- That is what is was looking to learn. I'm well aware that between me, the gun, the environment, etc. there is going to be variation. But if the gun sets you up for failure, there is no recovery. On another note, I have no interest in spending good money without an expectation that can be met. Again, thanks!

Misjudging basic full value crosswind by just one mile per hour between one shot and the next will result in a group no better than about 7 inches for a typical 6.5 to 7.62mm round at 1k yards.
Its nice to have a rifle that will out shoot you, but most people will struggle to maintain 1.5 MOA groups consistently at 1k whether they have a 1/8 MOA rifle or 1 MOA rifle.