• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Factorfy SBR's vs Form 1 route

J-Hon

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2006
Dry Ridge, Ky
Several times I've seen it alluded to that a factory engraved and produced SBR is preferable to a form 1 roll-your-own type.

On the other hand, I've never heard it explained "why". I can only surmise it likely has to do with some manner or perceived liability, but I'm only guessing here. Several people seem to have form 1 SBR's, without much drama (though I realize that's not always the best barometer of measure), and there are a lot of weapons that wouldn't be available from the factory as an SBR (take a 10/22, for example).

So what's the story? Anyone know what I'm talking about and want to learn me up on it?

Re: Factorfy SBR's vs Form 1 route

To me a factory SBR is the way to go because if I ever need to sell it I don't have to worry about my name city and state floating around on a weapon.

Factory SBR would be a more PITA to deal with. Like getting a suppressor, if your dealer doesn't have it in stock, he would have to order and you would have to wait for the form 3 to transfer to do your form 4. And you still have to pay a transfer fee if you didn't originally buy it from your dealer. As with all NFA items if you want to sell it out of state, you would have to pay a 200 tax to transfer the item out of your name once it's on a F4 or F1. Most of the manufacturers out there will sell you the same uppers that they use on their very own SBRs.... This is of course if we are talking about ARs. So what you have your name engraved on a 100 dollar reciever. That is most likely going to be one of the cheaper parts of the gun. i could live with keeping one gun for the rest of my life.

I prefer factory because I prefer not to put my name & address on it.

I also prefer it because it is a factory engineered solution, not a parts build.

I got Longview Class III to order me a Tactical T15 Multi-cal lower, engrave it with Longview Class III, and do the paper work for cheap. I use several caliber uppers and my info is no where on it. And I don't think I will ever sell a $100 part and loose the $200 stamp.

I've done a few SBR's on my trust. The beauty of the trust (other than not needing permission from the CLEO and fingerprints) is that you can name your trust anything you want. Like naming it "In God We" and your SBR would be engraved "In God We Trust" or what about "In Ballistics We"

I formed a corporation to hold my sbr's and silencer's same positives as the trust but officers in the corp. can use the items and my corp name is only 3 letters. The big thing is cost savings, silencer is $200 tax $30 for supplies. My sbr is going to be a sig 556, friend has a ffl so 556 pistol cost $1350, ace stock $150 and just add tax and you are out the door.

You will have an incredibly hard time ever selling a SBR with your info engraved on it.

I own LMT sbr's. If I ever have a problem with them I can call up Gene at LMT and get it replaced with another having the same serial number.

Liability is another reason. It can be argued that you as the maker are responsible in the case of an accident. With your name engraved on it, that's a hole you cannot argue your way out of.

Shall I continue?

I did a Form 1, I figured the most I could be out is my $200 tax and my $115 lower. Ether way if you sell your SBR your out your $200 tax. I looked for a factory SBR for a while. But I saved around $300 and did the form 1!

What methods are you guys using to engrave your lowers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have an incredibly hard time ever selling a SBR with your info engraved on it.

I own LMT sbr's. If I ever have a problem with them I can call up Gene at LMT and get it replaced with another having the same serial number.

Liability is another reason. It can be argued that you as the maker are responsible in the case of an accident. With your name engraved on it, that's a hole you cannot argue your way out of.

Shall I continue? </div></div>

We need to fix the system that allows the manufacturer to be at fault and not the jackass who does something stupid but that is whole other topic.
I am waiting for my form 1 stamp for my first sbr and my thoughts are guns are for shooting not for selling so I'm not realy worried about resale