• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory .223 Bolt Gun Decision

s11033

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Hey guys,

I’ve been wanting to pick up a .223 bolt gun to punch paper out to about 200m. I want to save the barrel life on my 6CM RPR for longer range shooting, and I’d like something with less recoil than my .308, because I take friends who have never shot to the range often. I find it easier to teach fundamentals using lighter calibers.

Since this will primarily be a range toy / trainer / teaching gun, I’d like to spend about $500 on the rifle itself. Heavier barrels are preferred, and I’m a sucker for a good factory trigger. The top three contenders I’m considering are the following:

CZ 600- seems to shoot well, but very limited aftermarket support currently. I’d hope for 10rd mags to become available eventually. I haven’t felt the trigger, but I’ve read that it’s good. I’m not sure if the factory stock offers a decent free float or not. If not, I’ll be hoping the aftermarket catches up and offers an upgrade. If someone develops an aftermarket stock that will fit the Alpha, but accepts AR mags like the Trail, that would be my ideal rifle. I think the receivers and bolts are the same for both of these models.

Howa Mini- this one also shoots well for many, and is better supported than the new CZ. I got to feel a HACT trigger last weekend and thought it was very good for my needs. My biggest issue with this one is that the magazines seem super cheesy, and the only real alternative is abhorrently expensive. If I got one, I might install a hinged floorplate. I assume the factory Hogue stocks are good enough for my needs, but would love some input.

Ruger American Predator- I think this one probably has the worst factory trigger of these, but I know the trigger spring mod has made a real difference for many. I really like the idea of using my stockpile of AR mags. I won’t be loading heavy bullets for 200m plinking, so max COAL isn’t a factor for me. I’d likely throw it in a Magpul Hunter stock, which I think offers very good value when on sale.

By the time I’ve upgraded the stock and trigger on a Ruger American though, it might be worth increasing my budget to meet rifles like the Savage Axis II Precision, which comes in a nice chassis and seems to offer solid value. If I want to stick to my budget, I could probably sell the chassis and throw it in an Accustock.

What say ye? I’m open to suggestions.

Lawndart

Last edited:
I`ve had great luck with my Savage rifles. My 110 Storm in .223 has been a very good rifle, but is a hunting rifle in all respects. Very accurate. It`s a little above your budget, however. The Savage Axis II is probably the most common hunting rifle at our range come zeroing time prior to deer season.

I have a CZ 527 and really enjoy the thing. Sad they don't make them anymore and I can't comment on the new offerings.

That has been a great little rifle.....and me being me I have a story about it.

I had just got the rifle hung a scope on it and went to shoot it. It flat would not calm down, it was just all over the place. Did I forget to snug up a screw somewhere, nope....what the hell? A screwed up gun?

I pull the scope and give it a go with irons. Ok you seem to be shooting par for the course for me with iron sites, is there a cracked ring somewhere....don't think so.

So I go back up to the house, and look for another scope I can stick on this thing. I have a Tasco I just took off one of my pellet rifles, lets do that. I go back down there and what do you know, it is the scope. A new out of the box scope. I have read about this happening but never figured I would see it first hand. In box back to the store and they send it back to Leupold it goes. I ended up leaving the Tasco on that rifle and putting the "new" scope on the pellet rifle.

Reactions: s11033
I really like my Howa Mini rifles, but that cheesy plastic DBM sucks. Didn't used to be a problem, just order in Jefferson Outdoors or DIP aluminum DBM. But then you're still stuck with the grossly overpriced Howa plastic mags. I will say that none of the factory mags of my five Mini rifles has ever given me a problem, but they don't exactly inspire confidence with their thin plastic bodies. For as long as the Mini has been on the market, I'd hoped to see more support for them in this area, but as bad as covid dinged the supply chain - worldwide - perhaps it's to be expected. I know Jefferson & DIP DBMs were out of stock for some time due to this issue, and Jefferson stopped making their DBM because of lack of demand, relative to the demand for their hinged floorplate design. They tell me that they're still making limited seasonal runs of the DBM though.

I have done custom Bartlein & Krieger bbls for all my Mini rifles, in 20 Tactical, 223AI, 22 Grinch (wildcat cartridge based on Grendel case - looks like a miniature Dasher), 6 RAT (even more like a smaller Dasher), and a 6.5 Grendel. Never left a factory bbl on any of mine long enough to find out how they shoot. They have the same HACT 2-stage trigger as the full-sized Howa 1500, easy to clip a bit more than one full coil off the spring and get the break down to a safe 1.25lbs. I've got the 20 Tactical in a Boyds pro varmint, the 223AI in a B&C sporter, the Grinch & Gendel in B&C M40s, and the 6 RAT in a McMillan Game Scout.

Seeing the Tikka mentioned above, I ordered one in to try, and am not that impressed with the trigger, the accuracy, nor the magazine. But all the guys out there that are happy with their Tikka T3s lead me to believe that I should put some effort into working on mine to see if I can get better results out of it.

I have the Savage Axis II Precision in .223

This is my first centerfire rifle (other than my old Swede) so take what I say with a grain of salt..

The ranges I belong to only go out to 200 yards.
The rifle has a 1:7 twist - it shoots 77gr SMKs very well and handloads using 77gr SMK great. When I say very well and great i mean sub MOA or sub 1/2 MOA.

The lighter bullets (factory or handloads) can be kinda a crap shoot...(not that great)

The bolt lift STINKS (VERY HARD) but the available bolt lift kits and aftermarket handles have made mine actually pretty good. It no longer is an issue for me..but those two items will be 100 bucks total with shipping.

Trigger is fine.."accutrigger" from the factory, unadjusted by me, is just under 3 pounds.

If I could change one thing...it would be the buttstock bottom...it isn't designed to ride a rear bag all that well.

Am I happy with the purchase? On balance yes...if I had to do it over again would I purchase it? Maybe. If other offerings were readily available..maybe not..but at the time of purchase picking were slim and the price wasn't outlandish

I really like my Howa Mini rifles, but that cheesy plastic DBM sucks. Didn't used to be a problem, just order in Jefferson Outdoors or DIP aluminum DBM. But then you're still stuck with the grossly overpriced Howa plastic mags. I will say that none of the factory mags of my five Mini rifles has ever given me a problem, but they don't exactly inspire confidence with their thin plastic bodies. For as long as the Mini has been on the market, I'd hoped to see more support for them in this area, but as bad as covid dinged the supply chain - worldwide - perhaps it's to be expected. I know Jefferson & DIP DBMs were out of stock for some time due to this issue, and Jefferson stopped making their DBM because of lack of demand, relative to the demand for their hinged floorplate design. They tell me that they're still making limited seasonal runs of the DBM though.

I have done custom Bartlein & Krieger bbls for all my Mini rifles, in 20 Tactical, 223AI, 22 Grinch (wildcat cartridge based on Grendel case - looks like a miniature Dasher), 6 RAT (even more like a smaller Dasher), and a 6.5 Grendel. Never left a factory bbl on any of mine long enough to find out how they shoot. They have the same HACT 2-stage trigger as the full-sized Howa 1500, easy to clip a bit more than one full coil off the spring and get the break down to a safe 1.25lbs. I've got the 20 Tactical in a Boyds pro varmint, the 223AI in a B&C sporter, the Grinch & Gendel in B&C M40s, and the 6 RAT in a McMillan Game Scout.

Seeing the Tikka mentioned above, I ordered one in to try, and am not that impressed with the trigger, the accuracy, nor the magazine. But all the guys out there that are happy with their Tikka T3s lead me to believe that I should put some effort into working on mine to see if I can get better results out of it.
Tikka is an easy fix system, trigger spring is option.( web search) You can also adjust the factory setting on your trigger, very easy to do and several videos that show you how. I have three Tikka rifles, All shoot and feed very nice. Varmint hunting is my hobby so, .22-250, .223 and .243 are my calibers of choice. I use stock mags and no issues even in the low temps, my .223 is a CTR model, the rifle is a little heavier and runs the steel mag. All good!!! My shots run max range 250-300, alot of times 200 yards and under. I hand load, but loading is a hobby for me, the Tikka rifles shoot very good with factory loads. Just my experience,,, your mileage could vary… I forgot to mention the stocks, ruff and tuff, easy to clean mud and other stuff off of them, but plenty of stocks out there if you think you need one… the torque specs are very important when removing your action and cleaning, not following the specs will lead to feed issues…Charlie112

This 100%. My Varmint is a tack driver and the trigger and action are better than any factory rifle out there.
Not factory anymore, but it had a YoDave spring and CDI AICS bottom metal in the factory stock when I bought it. I run the 75gr ELDM and have taken it to 1400 yards on steel. This coyote took a 65gr SGK at 3200 fps.
Phone pictures 6-16-21 176.jpeg

I have the Savage Axis II Precision in .223

This is my first centerfire rifle (other than my old Swede) so take what I say with a grain of salt..

The ranges I belong to only go out to 200 yards.
The rifle has a 1:7 twist - it shoots 77gr SMKs very well and handloads using 77gr SMK great. When I say very well and great i mean sub MOA or sub 1/2 MOA.

The lighter bullets (factory or handloads) can be kinda a crap shoot...(not that great)

The bolt lift STINKS (VERY HARD) but the available bolt lift kits and aftermarket handles have made mine actually pretty good. It no longer is an issue for me..but those two items will be 100 bucks total with shipping.

Trigger is fine.."accutrigger" from the factory, unadjusted by me, is just under 3 pounds.

If I could change one thing...it would be the buttstock bottom...it isn't designed to ride a rear bag all that well.

Am I happy with the purchase? On balance yes...if I had to do it over again would I purchase it? Maybe. If other offerings were readily available..maybe not..but at the time of purchase picking were slim and the price wasn't outlandish
My 110`s bolt lift was stiff when brand new. It`s smoothed out considerably with use. An enlarged clam shell type bolt knob really helped considerably with the leverage gained. The actions on Savages are not as smooth as a Tikka, no question. Just depends on how important that is to the individual shooter, I suppose. My 110 is almost boringly accurate, but that`s common with Savage rifles. The Accutrigger on mine was a shade under 3 lbs. out of the box and is crisp.

I have stayed with Savage rifles with their heavier profile Varmint barrels since they all shoot good for me. Plus Savage rifles are easier to find in left handed version for me. The Savage Varmint barrels do tend to be accurate in centerfire and rimfire calibers. A far as the stiffness I bolt lift, that usually will smooth out with use. I know it has with my 308 Model 12 and with my MkII rimfire rifles.

My older Savage Model 12 FVL 308 has the stagger feed blind magazine and Accu-Trigger. I can cover a 5 shot groups at 100 yards with a quarter when I do my part.

I would love to find a mini action but no one makes them in left hand versions that I have been able to find as a factory option.

Hey guys,

I’ve been wanting to pick up a .223 bolt gun to punch paper out to about 200m. I want to save the barrel life on my 6CM RPR for longer range shooting, and I’d like something with less recoil than my .308, because I take friends who have never shot to the range often. I find it easier to teach fundamentals using lighter calibers.

Since this will primarily be a range toy / trainer / teaching gun, I’d like to spend about $500 on the rifle itself. Heavier barrels are preferred, and I’m a sucker for a good factory trigger. The top three contenders I’m considering are the following:

CZ 600- seems to shoot well, but very limited aftermarket support currently. I’d hope for 10rd mags to become available eventually. I haven’t felt the trigger, but I’ve read that it’s good. I’m not sure if the factory stock offers a decent free float or not. If not, I’ll be hoping the aftermarket catches up and offers an upgrade. If someone develops an aftermarket stock that will fit the Alpha, but accepts AR mags like the Trail, that would be my ideal rifle. I think the receivers and bolts are the same for both of these models.

Howa Mini- this one also shoots well for many, and is better supported than the new CZ. I got to feel a HACT trigger last weekend and thought it was very good for my needs. My biggest issue with this one is that the magazines seem super cheesy, and the only real alternative is abhorrently expensive. If I got one, I might install a hinged floorplate. I assume the factory Hogue stocks are good enough for my needs, but would love some input.

Ruger American Predator- I think this one probably has the worst factory trigger of these, but I know the trigger spring mod has made a real difference for many. I really like the idea of using my stockpile of AR mags. I won’t be loading heavy bullets for 200m plinking, so max COAL isn’t a factor for me. I’d likely throw it in a Magpul Hunter stock, which I think offers very good value when on sale.

By the time I’ve upgraded the stock and trigger on a Ruger American though, it might be worth increasing my budget to meet rifles like the Savage Axis II Precision, which comes in a nice chassis and seems to offer solid value. If I want to stick to my budget, I could probably sell the chassis and throw it in an Accustock.

What say ye? I’m open to suggestions.

Lawndart
Christensen Arms MPR 16.5” .223…

Last edited:
You might want to look at the Ruger American lineup. A couple of different barrel and stock lengths to choose from and can be found in your budget.

Can you get one new ( or used, for that matter ) that fits the OP`s stated budget? Tikka`s are fine rifles, no question. They need to be, saddled as they are with Beretta USA service.

Used, non-stainless, around $600, but hard to find because people hold onto them. New is just a bit more and sooooo much better than the competition in that price point. $750 or less all day on GunBroker. Buy once cry once. Stainless can be had new for under $800 (I paid $790 for a new stainless T3X in July).

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the honest and detailed responses.

Not one person has mentioned the CZ600, which kinda makes me want to get one so I can report back on it…

I would definitely consider the CZ600 or Howa mini actions for myself but they aren't available in left hand.

Our son put together a .223 for Brenda using a Savage action, a Bugnut barrel and an Envy Pro Magnesium chassis. Though he and the action are lefties, and Brenda is a rightie, it shoots pretty darned good for her. I have also shot it with pretty good results.

One problem I have with the .223. Using 77 grain Sierra MK’s I have trouble seen hits beyond 300 yards, and especially 500-600 yards. Might be just me, and I know the OP was going to use it for targets under 200 yards, but I thought I would throw this out.

1694227735257.jpeg

Not one person has mentioned the CZ600, which kinda makes me want to get one so I can report back on it…
There's probably a reason for it

They are also a pretty new rifle

Tikka is a good choice I also vote tikka. A ctr ideally, but the regular lite model is also great mine shot some very small groups and rarely ever over .75 at 100.

You can also find various models of remington 700 in 223 very commonly and for a decent price, with a little tuning they can shoot excellently.

Everyone should have a 223 bolt action

Reactions: 260284
I would just sock the money away and spend in on 6cm ammo and another barrel, it’ll be cheaper usually than buying a new rifle and scope just for this purpose. If you really want a new .223, I’m with the other dudes, the Tikka .223 is worth the money. Occasionally I’ve heard of Tikka .223’s that don’t shoot but it’s the exception and not the norm. My 6.5cm Tikka with 1,000 rounds on it shoots like a stuuuud. I built a Bighorn Origin .223 on a Manners LRH and triggertech with a Shilen stainless barrel, shot it, and was disappointed in how much less I liked it than my Tikka in a Manners T4A. Sold the Bighorn, kept the Tikka. I didn’t see that coming. Also, having a drop safe rifle counts for big points for me since I hunt with my tikkas.

I can't speak for the others but since you set your budget at $500 and I couldn't find any that low I didn't. If you want the CZ600 you're going to have to up your budget.

Reactions: Charlie112
you might give the cz 600 a look. pretty much an MOA gun to 600 for me. trigger is adjustable from outside and min setting is 2#s and i have no problem controlling it with some front rest add ons. a lot of down sides: they come with only 1 5r mag which are hideously expensive to add one; forends are thin ala hunting rifles; tupperware stock which works fine for me; there is no and never will be much or any after market.
people here dis savage but despite being rough every one i have had shoots. the mod 12s are a different thing from affordable 110s. also,way expensive for me. howa is another good choice in whatever config you can like or can find. everything i have seen lately is well > $500 except cz 600. of course tikka is the boss out of the box. but none are close to $500 these days. seems to me used would be the way to go. on line here,other sites or local show if you know what stuff is supposed to cost. i saw an older 110 HB at a local show that could be had for a bit < $400,so deals happen but you have to dig. used at dealer or pawn shop usually = insane prices.

I would just sock the money away and spend in on 6cm ammo and another barrel, it’ll be cheaper usually than buying a new rifle and scope just for this purpose. If you really want a new .223, I’m with the other dudes, the Tikka .223 is worth the money. Occasionally I’ve heard of Tikka .223’s that don’t shoot but it’s the exception and not the norm. My 6.5cm Tikka with 1,000 rounds on it shoots like a stuuuud. I built a Bighorn Origin .223 on a Manners LRH and triggertech with a Shilen stainless barrel, shot it, and was disappointed in how much less I liked it than my Tikka in a Manners T4A. Sold the Bighorn, kept the Tikka. I didn’t see that coming. Also, having a drop safe rifle counts for big points for me since I hunt with my tikkas.

This is actually a very valid point. I do have an AR upper with an SPR profile 20" barrel that could fill the role. My primary lower has a decent LaRue MBT2 trigger and UBR stock. I think the main reason I don't shoot it more is that the barrel is just a 1:10 twist, and it doesn't like the stuff I load on my single-stage press. It does fine with the fodder I load on my progressive, but nothing spectacular, given that I use cheap FMJs for that.

If I developed a load for it with a decent 55-62gr bullet and loaded it a little more carefully, this might be the most efficient approach.

But having said that, I still just love the idea of a bolt gun in .223...

Ask for advice.

Totally ignore it.

🙄😎

Noo, I think that got misinterpreted. What I meant was that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of opinions on the CZ600, and I was saying that it makes me want to pick one up and assess it so that I can contribute something!

I can't speak for the others but since you set your budget at $500 and I couldn't find any that low I didn't. If you want the CZ600 you're going to have to up your budget.

I can get the CZ600 on GaG for $410 shipped after the rebate they're running. The Ruger American can be had for $450, and the Howa in a Hogue stock is about the same.

you might give the cz 600 a look. pretty much an MOA gun to 600 for me. trigger is adjustable from outside and min setting is 2#s and i have no problem controlling it with some front rest add ons. a lot of down sides: they come with only 1 5r mag which are hideously expensive to add one; forends are thin ala hunting rifles; tupperware stock which works fine for me; there is no and never will be much or any after market.
people here dis savage but despite being rough every one i have had shoots. the mod 12s are a different thing from affordable 110s. also,way expensive for me. howa is another good choice in whatever config you can like or can find. everything i have seen lately is well > $500 except cz 600. of course tikka is the boss out of the box. but none are close to $500 these days. seems to me used would be the way to go. on line here,other sites or local show if you know what stuff is supposed to cost. i saw an older 110 HB at a local show that could be had for a bit < $400,so deals happen but you have to dig. used at dealer or pawn shop usually = insane prices.

It seems like it has good bones. Are you able to load a bipod up without the forend contacting the barrel? Also, see my reply above regarding pricing on the RAP and Howa.

If I got a CZ600, my first project would be to develop a 3D printed 10rd mag. It seems like the original is fairly chonky, which makes it conducive to accepting printed parts. I'd make sure to use Magpul guts for it.

Bolt gun in .223 is the bomb.

Go to Gunbroker and buy a 6 digit era R700.

If it hasn’t been abused the factory barrel will shoot fine.

Even better if it’s shot out buy a varmint or fatter Krieger or Bartlein in carbon steel at 7.7 twist and you won’t be able to stop touching yourself.

Reactions: 2c1fr
Bolt gun in .223 is the bomb.

Go to Gunbroker and buy a 6 digit era R700.

If it hasn’t been abused the factory barrel will shoot fine.

Even better if it’s shot out buy a varmint or fatter Krieger or Bartlein in carbon steel at 7.7 twist and you won’t be able to stop touching yourself.

Is there any info out there on how much the Anderson Remington 700 clone will cost and when it will be available? I believe in the poverty pony!

Is there any info out there on how much the Anderson Remington 700 clone will cost and when it will be available? I believe in the poverty pony!
30 pages of opportunity.

I know Remington has its haters in favor of custom clones but it’s just a tube of steel to attach a barrel to.

All that shit they may be effed about them we change anyway.

Look for G or earlier.

Offer $600 for this one even if RR…...never know they may take it.

Reactions: DJL2
I have a howa mini-action 223 and like it very much . I was going to swap out stocks but decided to just keep the houge stock .It is not as flimsy as you think . there is nothing wrong with the 10 round magazine they don't cost any more than every other polymer magazine out there . just wait until you got to run the bolt on a bergara B14R and every round comes flying right out the top of the rifle . The price is the same by the way . The big deal is the cheese dick plastic magazine and trigger housing , you can't put proper torque on it and not break the plastic . I changed out to a DIP bottom metal and all the ugly went away . My rifle shoot's hornady 55 grain match very well and 77 grain match kings hover around .5 moa .

I know Remington has its haters in favor of custom clones but it’s just a tube of steel to attach a barrel to.
Yes and no. I’ve owned at least 9 Remington Bolt Actions firearms. (not counting a beautiful 541S that was a wedding present to my wife that she still cherishes 50 years later)

The Remington’s of my youth and young to medium adult years were fine rifles, well made and well finished. However, my experience of Remington’s as they were entering their death spiral, is a company that is producting products worthy of a death spiral. (I hate that the employees were treated to management that was so bad)

Not just a tube to attach a barrel to. Not one part of that action worked as it was supposed to. It was not much better than the 1880’s Beaumont Vatalli that hangs on my wall. (At least the Beaumont can load shells from its magazine as it was supposed to).

Still own the 700 in .243 that she purchased in 1975 (Old style with pressed checkering, metal work is as good as any found today, accuracy as good as or better than any off the shelf, hunting weight rifle produced today and has a beautiful piece of wood attached. The pressed in checkering…well maybe not so good but its a fine rifle) Also, three custom XP-100’s. So, I know Remington, paid my money and now, makes my choices. (And very likely have purchased my last Remington).

I have a howa mini-action 223 and like it very much . I was going to swap out stocks but decided to just keep the houge stock .It is not as flimsy as you think . there is nothing wrong with the 10 round magazine they don't cost any more than every other polymer magazine out there . just wait until you got to run the bolt on a bergara B14R and every round comes flying right out the top of the rifle . The price is the same by the way . The big deal is the cheese dick plastic magazine and trigger housing , you can't put proper torque on it and not break the plastic . I changed out to a DIP bottom metal and all the ugly went away . My rifle shoot's hornady 55 grain match very well and 77 grain match kings hover around .5 moa .

Thanks for the input on the Howa. It’s definitely appealing to me. Does the Hogue stock let you load up the bipod without contacting the barrel?

I just got a DIP a trigger guard for my Marlin 795 and love it.

So you think the magazines are sturdy enough? The one I found locally was a 1500 with a hinged metal floorplate, so it was not representative.

Yes and no. I’ve owned at least 9 Remington Bolt Actions firearms. (not counting a beautiful 541S that was a wedding present to my wife that she still cherishes 50 years later)

The Remington’s of my youth and young to medium adult years were fine rifles, well made and well finished. However, my experience of Remington’s as they were entering their death spiral, is a company that is producting products worthy of a death spiral. (I hate that the employees were treated to management that was so bad)

Not just a tube to attach a barrel to. Not one part of that action worked as it was supposed to. It was not much better than the 1880’s Beaumont Vatalli that hangs on my wall. (At least the Beaumont can load shells from its magazine as it was supposed to).

Still own the 700 in .243 that she purchased in 1975 (Old style with pressed checkering, metal work is as good as any found today, accuracy as good as or better than any off the shelf, hunting weight rifle produced today and has a beautiful piece of wood attached. The pressed in checkering…well maybe not so good but its a fine rifle) Also, three custom XP-100’s. So, I know Remington, paid my money and now, makes my choices. (And very likely have purchased my last Remington).
Yeah, I’ve heard super mixed reviews. I’m hesitant to buy a used 700 unless I can find one locally. I think I’d rather buy something new.

I've owned or bought for friends around eight Rem 700s ranging from manufacturing dates of 1972 - 2000, ADL to Custom to BDL. All have been excellent. But Tikka is a better gun for the money you will spend IMO (and I'm basically a Rem. 700 bigot, so it hurts to say it). Tikka, however, is NOT a more beautiful rifle.
700 BDL2.jpg
700 BDL.jpg
700 Stainless.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on the Howa. It’s definitely appealing to me. Does the Hogue stock let you load up the bipod without contacting the barrel?

I just got a DIP a trigger guard for my Marlin 795 and love it.

So you think the magazines are sturdy enough? The one I found locally was a 1500 with a hinged metal floorplate, so it was not representative.

Yeah, I’ve heard super mixed reviews. I’m hesitant to buy a used 700 unless I can find one locally. I think I’d rather buy something new.
I have no issue with the magazine . it's plastic just like Mag-Pul aics magazine's , MDT magazines and who ever else that has a mold . I have had no issue's when loading the bi-pod

Last year I purchased two Rem 223’s NIB when Rem went out of business,
Plus a matching 700 5R in 308.
One was a 700 5R barrel and syn stock, stainless threaded barrel and action
and the other was a Model 7 223 but in all camo, I think called ‘Coyote’ on the box.
They are fine shooters and accordingly scoped with Leupold’s I purchase off eBay.
I will be adding Timney Triggers.
There are lots of these 223 Rem Model 700’s available on GB.
Or buy a new one from RemArms with Timney Trigger already installed.
-Richard
BTW the two Model 700’s have the same scope so the only problem is when you try to insert a 308 cartridge into a 223 chamber! Glad it wasn’t the other way around!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5589.jpeg
    IMG_5589.jpeg
    783 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5204.jpeg
    IMG_5204.jpeg
    848.1 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Mike Islander
They need to be, saddled as they are with Beretta USA service.

No, they don't

Gunsmithing, LTD.
2530 Post Road
#3 Lacey Place
Southport, CT 06890
Region Served: Northeastern United States
Phone: (203) 254 0436
Fax: (203) 254 1535

Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, UGB25s & Premium Grade Shotguns
Specializes in: rust and hot bluing, resoldering, oil stock refinishing & checkering, pistol and shotgun point of impact issues.
Average Repair Turnaround Time: 2-3 weeks
Midwest Gun Works, Inc
1101 Mason Circle Drive South
Pevely, MO, 63070
Region Served: Central United States
www.midwestgunworks.com
Phone: 636-475-7300
Fax: 636-475-7303

Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns. Parts and service for Beretta vintage model firearms.
Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Ave.
Westminster, California, 92683
Region Served: Western United States, Alaska and Hawaii
Phone: (714) 894-9100
Fax: (714) 898-9164

Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns

No, they don't

Gunsmithing, LTD.
2530 Post Road
#3 Lacey Place
Southport, CT 06890
Region Served: Northeastern United States
Phone: (203) 254 0436
Fax: (203) 254 1535

Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, UGB25s & Premium Grade Shotguns
Specializes in: rust and hot bluing, resoldering, oil stock refinishing & checkering, pistol and shotgun point of impact issues.
Midwest Gun Works, Inc
1101 Mason Circle Drive South
Pevely, MO, 63070
Region Served: Central United States
www.midwestgunworks.com
Phone: 636-475-7300
Fax: 636-475-7303

Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns. Parts and service for Beretta vintage model firearms.
Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Ave.
Westminster, California, 92683
Region Served: Western United States, Alaska and Hawaii
Phone: (714) 894-9100
Fax: (714) 898-9164

Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns

Well, that`s good.

Well, that`s good.

It's amazing how many people don't know that you do not send your shit to Beretta to get fixed.

You send it to one of the service centers, and if someone needs to deal with the Mothership they do it.

I've owned or bought for friends around eight Rem 700s ranging from manufacturing dates of 1972 - 2000, ADL to Custom to BDL. All have been excellent. But Tikka is a better gun for the money you will spend IMO (and I'm basically a Rem. 700 bigot, so it hurts to say it). Tikka, however, is NOT a more beautiful rifle.
View attachment 8224990View attachment 8224991View attachment 8224992

Beautiful rifles. I’ll definitely consider increasing my budget into the Tikka range, but I'm deliberately trying not to. This is a range toy / teaching rifle, and I just don’t need to spend much on it.

Anything for $500 is going to be a total POS anyway, so let him find out the hard way.

Are they really? Keep in mind my intended use. I think there are rifles in that range that are adequate, or that could be made adequate with limited upgrades. I essentially want something with a decent trigger, a relatively heavy barrel, and a stock that won’t contact the barrel.

I have no issue with the magazine . it's plastic just like Mag-Pul aics magazine's , MDT magazines and who ever else that has a mold . I have had no issue's when loading the bi-pod

Okay, cool! I don’t have any qualms with plastic magazines. I’ve just read the Howa ones are particularly flimsy. If they’re decent, that’s good enough for me. Glad to hear on the stock. If all I have to do is upgrade the bottom metal, this puts Howa in the lead for me.

I definitely want to own one at some point. If not in .223, then in .308 with the hinged metal floorplate that comes on them.

Last year I purchased two Rem 223’s NIB when Rem went out of business,
Plus a matching 700 5R in 308.
One was a 700 5R barrel and syn stock, stainless threaded barrel and action
and the other was a Model 7 223 but in all camo, I think called ‘Coyote’ on the box.
They are fine shooters and accordingly scoped with Leupold’s I purchase off eBay.
I will be adding Timney Triggers.
There are lots of these 223 Rem Model 700’s available on GB.
Or buy a new one from RemArms with Timney Trigger already installed.
-Richard
BTW the two Model 700’s have the same scope so the only problem is when you try to insert a 308 cartridge into a 223 chamber! Glad it wasn’t the other way around!!!

I’ll definitely look through them. I’ve always been intrigued by R700s, but it’s always seemed to me like there are other platforms that tend to be better out of the box for less money. I may just have biased friends, but a few replies on here from R700 enjoyers seem to echo that sentiment.

Which trims would you recommend I look into?
The lites as mentioned would be fine but will need to be threaded. I went with the Varmint and mailed it off for threading.

Maybe try one of our site sponsors to see if they will sell you a new one and thread it before shipping to your local FFL.

The ctr and super varmint models are threaded but much higher in costs. The CTRs were 1:12 and 1:8 twists..

Reactions: s11033
I just built a .308 rifle from an old Savage blind mag long action I had kicking around, and after playing with it tonight I've decided I want my .223 to be mag-fed.