• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory 6.5 PRC Ammo

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FGAprecisionrifle%2Fposts%2F1545952775469802&width=500" width="500" height="510" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

$38/box on GAP's website, available now. Costs about $30/box to load your own with new brass. Either way, my rifle can't get here soon enough!

Last edited:
    I see the velocities listed in LL's post; does anyone know what barrel length was used to achieve those numbers?

What magazine will these run out of? Can they be ran out of the new ARC mags? The max coal is 2.97 but didn’t know if the feed lips would need to be adjusted and wonder how many rounds could actually be stuffed in there.

This might be a dumb question, but I'm not familiar with the PRC case. If you have a 6.5cm barrel could you re-chamber it to 6.5 PRC? Also is the bolt face of the PRC the same as the 6.5cm?

This might be a dumb question, but I'm not familiar with the PRC case. If you have a 6.5cm barrel could you re-chamber it to 6.5 PRC? Also is the bolt face of the PRC the same as the 6.5cm?

Not sure on the chambering, but the PRC uses a magnum boltface.

I'm not 100% positive but I do recall reading somewhere that the PRC is based on the RCM case... Anyone else read that?

t

FB_IMG_1489719248004.jpg
    6.5 SAUM(right) is based on Remington SAUM Case and has a rebated rim

6.5 PRC(left) is based on the Ruger Compact Mag Case and in a Non Rebated rim.

SAUM is about 50-60 FPS faster

Last edited:
    I dont own one, i shoot the 6.5 saum. That was a copy paste from George Gardners facebook page.

The bolt face of 6.5 PRC is larger than 6.5 Creedmoor. 6.5 PRC is mid to long action magnum cartridge. I think Hornady invent this cartridge simply because of the limited capacity of 6.5 Creedmoor. If you want to push .264 bullets faster, large powder capacity is essential. Just wondering the barrel life of 6.5 PRC...I think the barrel life of 6.5 PRC should be close to .260 Rem...

Back to your question, you can re-chamber any 6.5 CM barrel to 6.5 PRC, but you also need a longer action and a new bolt face.

The bolt face of 6.5 PRC is larger than 6.5 Creedmoor. 6.5 PRC is mid to long action magnum cartridge. I think Hornady invent this cartridge simply because of the limited capacity of 6.5 Creedmoor. If you want to push .264 bullets faster, large powder capacity is essential. Just wondering the barrel life of 6.5 PRC...I think the barrel life of 6.5 PRC should be close to .260 Rem...

Back to your question, you can re-chamber any 6.5 CM barrel to 6.5 PRC, but you also need a longer action and a new bolt face.

Wait i thought Hornady said the PRC was designed for short or medium actions. Does this mean a Bighorn TL3 with a bolt head swapped to magnum can't use this cartidge?
    Forgive my noob question. Ive never ventured beyond short action standard calibers before lol.

At least the PRC requires a larger bolt face than 308.......so lets just say you have to do something on your rifle :3
    I cannot find an accurate length of PRC cartridge, so I think more information is required.

There are three basic Remington action lengths. A Rem model 7 short action, Rem 700 short action, and Rem 700 long action. You want the Rem 700 short action or clone, like a TAC 30, TL3, Axiom, etc. Defiance calls their 700 Short Action clone a "medium" action, and their model 7 clone a "short action", which is about 1/2" shorter. You don't want the model 7 clone, it's too short. Hope this makes sense.

There are three basic Remington action lengths. A Rem model 7 short action, Rem 700 short action, and Rem 700 long action. You want the Rem 700 short action or clone, like a TAC 30, TL3, Axiom, etc. Defiance calls their 700 Short Action clone a "medium" action, and their model 7 clone a "short action", which is about 1/2" shorter. You don't want the model 7 clone, it's too short. Hope this makes sense.

Ooohhhh that makes some sense. Thanks!