• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory 700 Freebore .223

gasrat

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2019
SE Kentucky
Question about factory Freebore on a 700 Varmint model in 223. Found one in a shop with surprisingly, a 1-8 twist, 26” heavy barrel.

I called Remington. However, the guy said he didn’t know, and even if he did, he couldn’t tell me that information.

Basically wanting to know if they are known to make Linda Lovelace happy, or if it’s around say .069 thou, which I know will work excellent for 75 ELDm’s.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

My 700 xcr long range didn't have a lot of freebore. Is it new or something. I have never seen a factory Remington with a 1 in 8.

My 700 xcr long range didn't have a lot of freebore. Is it new or something. I have never seen a factory Remington with a 1 in 8.
I hadn’t either. Must be a new thing. I normally shoot 1-7 custom barrel in a long range match we shoot. Gonna see if I can hurt some feeling with a factory rifle this season. lol

This is the first I have heard of a 1/8 factory Remington . My .223 Varmints are 1/12 , and my police/tacticals are 1/9 . 1/8 would be cool to try out .

The factory can use SAAMI min spec on the chambers and or factories will use what is called production reamers/chambers. If it’s a production or a modified reamer/chamber they will most likely not give you the information.

If it’s a SAAMI min spec chamber I can give you a copy of the print of the reamer. For a quick reference if you seat a 69gr SMK to 2.260” o.a.l. The bullet will be real close to touching the lands or right at touching depending on the lot of bullets. So if it’s a SAAMI min spec chamber it’s a short throat on the 223 Remington.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

The factory can use SAAMI min spec on the chambers and or factories will use what is called production reamers/chambers. If it’s a production or a modified reamer/chamber they will most likely not give you the information.

If it’s a SAAMI min spec chamber I can give you a copy of the print of the reamer. For a quick reference if you seat a 69gr SMK to 2.260” o.a.l. The bullet will be real close to touching the lands or right at touching depending on the lot of bullets. So if it’s a SAAMI min spec chamber it’s a short throat on the 223 Remington.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Thanks Frank. I always used .069 thou on the ones I used to shoot and was happy with them. I ran 75 ELDm’s in those with great success. I still have some loaded rounds I ran in the other barrels I had with 69 thou. I’ll see if they will chamber in it and go from there.

Thanks Frank. I always used .069 thou on the ones I used to shoot and was happy with them. I ran 75 ELDm’s in those with great success. I still have some loaded rounds I ran in the other barrels I had with 69 thou. I’ll see if they will chamber in it and go from there.

Here is kind of a clump of drawings. The first one #0514 is the Saami min spec.

Later, Frank

Attachments

• .223 chamber drawings.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: gasrat