• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Ammo load question

Nuttshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2008
Conway, South Carolina
I need a load that will mimic the Remington 168gr. Premier Match as close as I can.

I have 168 SMK
REM brass
Winchester primers.
Varget
H4895

If I need something different then let me know.

Re: Factory Ammo load question

1) Get some of the factory ammo you want to match
2) Shoot a box of it over a chrony during different conditions to understand how it shoots cold, hot, warm, low altitude, etc. All the conditions you would find yourself shooting in on a reasonable outing.
3) Get some starting loads for the 2 powders you have there and get an idea of how they shoot cold, hot, warm, etc. and work towards the average shooting day for you to mimic the velocity.

I'd be willing to bet that even if you can't match it exactly, you're going to find yourself with better ammo than the $2+ a round factory match.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1069614#Post1069614

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is that close to Premier match? </div></div>

Assuming your talking .308 Win?

No way to know until you work up results for yourself. Varget and RE-15 are the most common powders. But IMR 4895 and 4064 as well as several others can be part of the golden recipe too. You may get better results with match primers rather than WLR but it depends as well.

That's the fun and challenge of rolling your own!
grin.gif

The Ammo manufacturers never tell what is in their recipes: they're stingier than Ernie Keebler!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ammo manufacturers never tell what is in their recipes: they're stingier than Ernie Keebler! </div></div>

The ammo manufacturers have their powders specially blended by the rail car load to perform to a specification they give the powder maker. It usually is not a specific powder that we can buy in a jug. We can get close, especially in this day and age with so many choices being made.(when ya can find it)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And not mixed by little elves in an old oak tree... </div></div>

It could be, as hard as it is to find some powders right now. They need to push those elves a little harder. It's a long time till they will be needed for the Christmas rush!