• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Barnes ammo

sniper79_98

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
USA
Good morning,

Does anyone have any experience with factory Barnes ammo? Specifically the 140 OTM in 6.5cm? How does it compare to Hornady ELD? Not hand loaded but seemed like it may be the best place to ask.

No experience with the match ammo. When I had to buy a few boxes of their hunting ammo in '06 I was happy with the accuracy of it. Downed a couple elk that year with it.

Nice. I’ve always heard good things about their hunting rounds. I bought the ELDs. I’m just collecting brass but wanted something decent to shoot and reasonably priced. Thanks for your response!

My only experience with Barnes factory ammo (besides .380) is their 85 grain Match Burner and the Range AR 52 (I think) grained zinc-cored budget training round. Well, nothing from Barnes is exactly budget..... but it sure is good. The factory Match Burner bested my handload with the same bullet; the Range AR load went 1 MOA when it's supposed to be econo-fodder. It also had some unexpected qualities in gel testing.

In my book Barnes and Hornady, for a long time now, have led the industry in terms of bullet R&D and busting through "the way it's always been".

I didn't even know they were loading 6.5, but now I'm on the hunt for some 'cause I bet it's good.

Not 6.5, but this will give you an idea of the quality of the Barnes projectiles.

Barnes factory loaded 85 grain Match Burner ammunition shoots extremely well from my 20” Lothar Walther barreled AR-15 with a 1:8” twist.

barnes_factory_85_matchburner_10_shot_gr-1992936.jpg

Hand-loads using the 85 grain Match Burner shoot superbly from my 24” Krieger barreled AR-15 with a 1:7.7” twist.

barnes_85_match_burner_handload_10_shot_-1992939.jpg

barnes_85_match_burner_vs_55_grain_fmj_0-1992947.jpg

Yeah, I think that’ll work. I already bought the Hornady. I knew what that would do. If I catch a deal on the Barnes again… I’ll grab them.