• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory brass 300WM ammo. Do I shoot it or pull the bullet, and reload it?

Beiruty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2014
I have Mostly Remington/Federal and Some Herters Brass Ammo.
Do I shoot it or pull the bullet, and reload it?

This is what I was doing. I reloaded my first 100 rd. Shot some 80rd and now I reloaded 46rd. Here is what I cooked:
1) Hornady A-max 208gr over
2) 70gr of Alliant 4000 MR
3) Bullet seated at COAL length of 3.350" or Spec +0.010"
Groups with this load is 0.6" at 100 yrds. All impacts are touching.

Factory ammo was Herter's 180gr PSP and groups where 1.5-2.0" at 100 yrds

One issue I faced, is the neck sizing, out of the last batch some 10 rds where the bullets sunk in the case. I reloaded them and learned that neck sizing is not easy and needs extra tension AND I should try to hand seat a bullet to check if I neck sizing is good enough.

Are you using a bushing neck sizing die? If not, you might want to consider one if you're planning to keep reloading different brands of brass. Redding bushing neck sizing dies are particularly nice and will allow you to fine tune your neck tension with a good selection of bushings. I get my dies and bushings from Sinclair. Their tech guys are very helpful. Give them a call.

throw the FC brass away (after you shoot it). Its too soft to reload.

Last edited:
Shoot the brass. Dont throw it away. It'll last longer than hard brass. Why you think Lapua lasts so long? Its soft. Ive got 3-4 reloads MAX out of rem brass before the necks split. Im going on my 6th reload of my current Lapua.

Primer pockets open up after the second loading, and sometimes after the first loading with .223 and .308 FC brass, the new stuff. I have to assume its the same with MAG brass. You will know if the brass is junk if the primer pockets open up after one reloading. As such, its not worth the effort for me to reload any of the new FC brass and have to scrap the brass after one reloading. I still have some old .223 FC small etched print brass that's great, loaded it 10+ times. Do what you want, check the primer pockets to see if the brass is any good. Lapua brass is not as soft as FC.