• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor load

hdfoxguns

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
texas
I tried some of the Hornady Factory 6.5 Creedmoor, 140 A Max load today. I am seeing some signs of preasure, little dimples sticking out on primer. The temperature was 98 degrees and I got an average volicity of 2913, 28" barrel in an auto. Based on the temperature that I tested in should I be concerned? I am wanting to try and duplicate the load myself. The load shot just under .50" for 5 shots at 100 yards. Would post pictures but do not know how at this time.

Re: Factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor load

Post a picture but it sounds like what you are talking about is natural primer flow into the firing pin hole and not pressure.

Nominally, just try 41.5gr of H4350 under the 140 Amax at 2.810" long. That's the suggestion on teh back of the box and while Hornady doesn't stick exactly to it each time (from what I've read) it's been close enough that you should be "in the zone" pretty quickly.

Work up from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the suggestion on teh back of the box and while Hornady doesn't stick exactly to it each time (from what I've read) it's been close enough that you should be "in the zone" pretty quickly.

Work up from there.</div></div>

As I have posted before, Hornady loads to a pressure/velocity spec. Some lots of powder are different so the listed 41.5grns on the box might not be what is in the case as people have reported up to 42.5grns but it is still safe as far as pressure with that lot of H4350. 41.5grns as mentioned is a good place to start if loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the suggestion on teh back of the box and while Hornady doesn't stick exactly to it each time (from what I've read) it's been close enough that you should be "in the zone" pretty quickly.

Work up from there.</div></div>

As I have posted before, Hornady loads to a pressure/velocity spec. Some lots of powder are different so the listed 41.5grns on the box might not be what is in the case as people have reported up to 42.5grns but it is still safe as far as pressure with that lot of H4350. 41.5grns as mentioned is a good place to start if loading. </div></div>

Yep, I thought you posted it but I was unsure and didn't want to incorrectly attribute it to you. Thanks for clarifying.

I shot a match last weekend with the factory 140-grain AMAX ammo. It was 105F when my squad finished. No problems with the ammo. That lot averaged ~2850 ft/sec. from my 24" factory bbl at somewhere between 105 and 110F, which was ~80 ft/sec faster than the previous lot of that ammo I had.

You'll have to choose whether you want to try to duplicate factory ammo velocity, or book velocity, with handloads. Hornady's manual lists less powder and lower velocity (with H4350 and their 140s) than what they print on their ammo boxes, and I have found their manual data to track very well with my gun and lot of powder.

I suggest starting at 41 grains of H4350 or a little less.

The reason has nothing to do with pressure but everything to do with accuracy. I had to change powder lots and was loading around 41.5 with the old lot. When I changed, I worked UP from there up to 42.8 and found pressure but no accuracy. I went back to the drawing board and started at 41 and that's exactly where I found the most accurate load. Velocity was 2810 fps.

Here is a 4 shot, 200 yard group:

200scenar.jpg

Funny thing I found as well is that substituting either the A-Max, Scenar or the new Hornady BTHP bullet resulted in the same great accuracy and no vertical stringing at long range.

664cb37e.jpg

4a5b4fd1.jpg

I thought that was interesting that the load didn't change.

I'm at 41 with the BTHP, too. Not as speedy as the factory AMAX stuff, but tighter-shooting.

I tried to duplicate the Hornady factory load, everything but new brass. All measurements on length etc. I cronographed and got 2815 average volisity from 28" barrel at 98 degrees with 41.5 H4350. I am shooting an AR platform. I had some primers blow out completly and some with holes priced in them and others that looked normal. I am not sure if this is because of the brass being fired several times or what. Standard devations and extreame spread were will with in normal range. I am not sure what to do, the load was very accurate, but do not know what is causing the weired pressure issues.

So you have a 28" gas gun? Have you found any load that works without pressure? Just wondering about the way the gas system is set up with such a long barrel.

Well, just finished the breakin on my GAP 10 6.5 creedmoor. First of all using 2.81 OAL proved to be a bit long and would not feed/extract. I checked this with the facotry ammo and it would not cycle either without seating it deeper. Magic depth/OAL was 2.79 OAL. It's looking like I had two good accuracy nodes at 39.7 and 40.3, but I am still testing. This is a 22inch 1:8.5 twist barrel. More to follow.

I have been running RL 17 40.4 grains with a 140 A Max and getting 2760 no preasure. Shot the factory Hornady A Max load 2912 average volisity, no signs of preasure. My gun smith is Carlton Chapman he owns Precision Matters in Plano Texas 972-838-6543. He builds awsome guns, especially gas guns by doing some trick and different stuff that no one else does to my knowledge. I spoke to him and my issue is that my brass has been fired too many times, probally 5 each or more guessing. I will probally stay with 41.5 H4350 with A Max at 2812 avgerage volisity for now. I would love to shoot factory but have componets to load 500 plus on hand. I need to buy some new brass now and all is good.

Should add that I am using h4350 powder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wanabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried to duplicate the Hornady factory load, everything but new brass. All measurements on length etc. I cronographed and got 2815 average volisity from 28" barrel at 98 degrees with 41.5 H4350. I am shooting an AR platform. I had some primers blow out completly and some with holes priced in them and others that looked normal. I am not sure if this is because of the brass being fired several times or what. Standard devations and extreame spread were will with in normal range. I am not sure what to do, the load was very accurate, but do not know what is causing the weired pressure issues. </div></div>
I had a DPMS 260 Rem and it would blow out the primers, put a adjustable gas block and it quit.

I had one also, 260 in a gas gun does not work as well as the Creedmoor. I am able to get better volisity with alot less preasure, adjustable gas block is defenitly the way to go.