• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

gcmiller04

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
North West Arkansas
Hate to flood the forums with another “help me decide.” But don’t wanna miss out on good advice. Been skimming through discussions on some rifles and leaning towards a couple but open to any suggestions.

Looking for a lightweight (carbon fiber is the hype) reliable rifle that is going to be primarily dedicated to hunting. Not looking to build it custom right now so considering factory options.

Was first eyeing the Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT. But wasn’t sure I’d like the traditional style grip on stock as compared to more vertical grips. Obviously stock can be swapped if its the right rifle. Seems that most options in my caliber of choice (300 wsm) are 26” barrels, and as I want to be able to run a suppressor on it thats a little longer than I wanted. Getting into cutting and rethreading barrel is a little further than I was hoping to go. Have also heard good things about the Seekins Havak element, Proof Research Elevation rifle, Savage 110 ultralight, as well as the Fierce CT Rival and am pretty interested in all of them. Another recommendation was the Springfield Waypoint 2020 but I’ve been reading about too many stories of poor bedding and bad customer service.

Any experience with any of these rifles good or bad is appreciated as well as other options to look into. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Seekins or proof are the clear winners there.
Definitely dig the proof rifle. Getting to stay on the origin is a big plus and I’m a fan of their CF barrels. That being said, it is on the higher price end of the options I’m considering. Haven’t decided if I want to spend that much though the quality is better. Appreciate the vote!

Proof or seekins. And I recommend that you don’t get a light hunting rifle in a “magnum” caliber. They usually kick to much for most shooters to practice much and hence not shoot well. Maybe someone like a 270 Win. at the max.
I still use light rifles, but hiking a few extra valleys or ridges isn’t a problem to get closer to an animal. That’s what works for me in Idaho.
thanks for the reply. I assumed the recoil would be pretty serious but wasn’t sure it was unbearable. I was trying to get to stay on a short action which I prefer but get a little more than a .308. hence the short action magnums being my focus. but definitely don’t want something I hate to shoot. might be smart to move to long action and get something like the .270

Proof or seekins. And I recommend that you don’t get a light hunting rifle in a “magnum” caliber. They usually kick to much for most shooters to practice much and hence not shoot well. Maybe someone like a 270 Win. at the max.
I still use light rifles, but hiking a few extra valleys or ridges isn’t a problem to get closer to an animal. That’s what works for me in Idaho.
However, it’s starting to look more and more like it’d be easier to put it together myself. Proof is still pretty limited on chamberings for their barrels and therefore the elevation rifle. I think 6.5 creed, 6.5 PRC, .308, 7 mag, and 300wm. are the only options. Most other rifles listed here are the same. I think the Havak has a 26 or 28 nosler option but they’re still limited.

Kimber Montana 280AI is working very well for me for a lightweight hunter. Leupold VX6 2-12 CDS-ZL. Just harvested three antelope in New Mexico - mine and two buddies borrowed it. Been using it in Wyoming for several years for mule deer and antelope.

See comment above on 26 Nosler. I have a 26 Nosler and ammo is hard to find, brass too. Nosler seems to have abandoned it. I used it for one year in Wyoming in a Browning X bolt with 127LRX handloads, definitely fast and devastating on a mule deer - I prefer the 280AI.

Reactions: gcmiller04
Here is what I would do, and think its the best value out there.

Buy a Tikka rifle of your choice in 300WSM. Now buy a take off tikka barrel ($200)l in 6.5PRC. You could also buy a 6.5creed take off ($200), and a LRI bolt ($375). Add an external action wrench and an internal action wrench ($200). I personally like the Veil models, as they come with a bit heavier barrel, flutting and threads.

Now for less than $2K you have essesntially 3 (or more) different rifles that can be setup for whatever you are hunting, from whitetail up to moose/bear/elk.

It will shoot every bit as well as anything mentioned in this thread, and will be lighter than most mentioned. Drop a $5 trigger spring into it and you are gucci. There is a ton of aftermarket out there from arca rails to bolts to bottom metals.

Here is what I would do, and think its the best value out there.

Buy a Tikka rifle of your choice in 300WSM. Now buy a take off tikka barrel ($200)l in 6.5PRC. You could also buy a 6.5creed take off ($200), and a LRI bolt ($375). Add an external action wrench and an internal action wrench ($200). I personally like the Veil models, as they come with a bit heavier barrel, flutting and threads.

Now for less than $2K you have essesntially 3 (or more) different rifles that can be setup for whatever you are hunting, from whitetail up to moose/bear/elk.

It will shoot every bit as well as anything mentioned in this thread, and will be lighter than most mentioned. Drop a $5 trigger spring into it and you are gucci. There is a ton of aftermarket out there from arca rails to bolts to bottom metals.
Where can you find Tikka takeoff barrels that are threaded and fluted like in the Veil models. I bought one off a man in the exchange in 6.5 PRC and it shoots very well. I would pick up a second just to have it.

See comment above on 26 Nosler. I have a 26 Nosler and ammo is hard to find, brass too. Nosler seems to have abandoned it. I used it for one year in Wyoming in a Browning X bolt with 127LRX handloads, definitely fast and devastating on a mule deer - I prefer the 280AI.
How available is 280ai? I won't reload it. Assuming there are good factory hunting loads per usual, are they readily available? Prices look painfully high, of course that is partly due to the shortage on everything.

never saw a budget... probably the biggest factor.

could go ruger american or a christensen. all depends on where you want to start, budget wise... go from there and spend as much if not double on glass.

weight goal as well?

because you mentioned carbon fiber... just gonna leave this here

Furthermore, if anybody can shed some light on other proof research rifles that'd be appreciated. The elevation is limited in calibers but is the most affordable of theirs at around $3,000. Other rifles like the glacier and glacier ti which I THOUGHT were of similar value offer more options such as 300wsm and others. However I'm having trouble seeing where the jump from $3k to $6,500 ($7,000+ on TI) happened. Same carbon fiber proof barrel. Same trigger tech trigger. Unlike the elevation's zermatt origin, the glacier and glacier ti have the lone peak arms razor action, but the lone peak action is very similar in pricing to zermatt's, and definitely isn't 3k more. Are the stocks that much different? There must be something I'm missing. All proof rifles are done with single point cut rifling as well. So I'm not seeing the 2X quality jump

How available is 280ai? I won't reload it. Assuming there are good factory hunting loads per usual, are they readily available? Prices look painfully high, of course that is partly due to the shortage on everything.
280AI is not as readily available as 270 but not extremely rare. I was shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 162ELDX but I am out and moved to Nosler 140 Ballistic Tips and Nosler 140 copper.

280 is a fucking retarded suggestion for a general purpose hunting rifle. Anyone recommending a Christenseon arms is equally retarded. There are dozens of calibers that will work just fine and plenty of off the shelf support.

Look at what is actually on the shelf in stores. 6.8 Western is in stock everywhere and is a great all around deer up to elk/bear round. 6.5 creed is a great hunting cartridge for any deer on the planet as well as Elk at reasonable distances.

280 is a fucking retarded suggestion for a general purpose hunting rifle. Anyone recommending a Christenseon arms is equally retarded. There are dozens of calibers that will work just fine and plenty of off the shelf support.

Look at what is actually on the shelf in stores. 6.8 Western is in stock everywhere and is a great all around deer up to elk/bear round. 6.5 creed is a great hunting cartridge for any deer on the planet as well as Elk at reasonable distances.
Haha. Still wanting to go with my gut and do a 300wsm. Have wanted to for so long that even if i hate it, at least i scratched that itch

Haha. Still wanting to go with my gut and do a 300wsm. Have wanted to for so long that even if i hate it, at least i scratched that itch

I whole heartedly reccomend the 300wsm. I have a semi-light hunting rifle which I love to hunt with. It's a proof barrel, mcmillan HTG edge win m70. It's topped with a nx8 and about the upper limit of my recoil tolerance. My shoulder isn't what it use to be so I sent my 30-378 and 300 rum down the road.

My 300wsm is about the perfect 1 caliber to rule them all. My M70 featherweight in 300wsm is pretty awesome. You definitely know you detonated something more than the average, but you also have legit elk hammering power.

Took one of Frank's courses up in Canada a few years back with the crew from Insite. Close to 300 rds in 2 days with a 9.8 lb 300WM, including scope and bipod, Heathen brake, easy shooting. I am 6'1 195lb so I'm not small but defineatly not a big dude.