• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Rifle - Bergara vs Tikka

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
Looking at picking up a .308 in either a Tikka T3x stainless, gray laminate or in a Bergara B-14 Terrain Wilderness. What ya'lls thoughts on these two rifles when compared to each other? Not debating caliber, just the two rifles themselves.

• The Bergara B-14 Terrain Wilderness comes with a cerakoting, AI mag, and adjustable comb stock with flush cups. It also has a 1:10 twist barrel.
  • The Tikka is stainless and has a 1:11 twist barrel. I would probably look at dropping it into a krg bravo chassis. So this option would be more money overall as I would probably leave the Bergara in the factory stock for now.
  • From what I have read the triggers on both a pretty decent from the factory. I'm not sure if either one has an advantage over the other in regards to their factory barrels.
  • I might would look at the Bergara HMR Wilderness as I like the grip angle on the stock better, but I think it would be too heavy for a hunting rig.
So what say you?

i pick tikka regardless

but that the purpose?
OK can you elaborate on why the Tikka? Just curious on what others reasons are. From what I can tell most would say Tikka on here.

Purpose would probably be for hunting mostly.

One item to think of is that from what I understand the Bergara can fit most aftermarket Rem700 stocks (with a little inletting) so gives quite a few options for customization later I think.

I like tikka because a $10 spring does wonders for the trigger. I also like the stainless stainless option. There are lots of chassis options and options for rails.

I will agree that the options for rem clones is larger though. if they had a lower cost option for the Bergara with stainless, then that Might sway me in that direction

tikka has the same aftermarket options basically besides the trigger...but thats a $10 fix

the tikka is smoooooooth and their barrels are accurate. off the shelf prefit barrels available.

more options for hunting down the road with things like a 7MAX/SAUM or other intermediate cartridge

dont discount the CTR. it's less than 1 pound heavier than the lighter tikkas

tikka has the same aftermarket options basically besides the trigger...but thats a $10 fix

the tikka is smoooooooth and their barrels are accurate. off the shelf prefit barrels available.

more options for hunting down the road with things like a 7MAX/SAUM or other intermediate cartridge

dont discount the CTR. it's less than 1 pound heavier than the lighter tikkas
Yea, I picked up a 6.5CM Tikka CTR recently and I would probably go that route if they had one in stock in .308. I have access to see what's available at a warehouse and I don't see any CTRs available except for maybe a .260. The model I am looking at isn't the T3x Lite so it not far off in weight of a CTR.

They both will shoot and they are both smooth. It comes down to whether you’re a 90 degree or a 60 degree guy. I pick Bergara.

Reactions: Oldmauser
They both will shoot and they are both smooth. It comes down to whether you’re a 90 degree or a 60 degree guy. I pick Bergara.
I agree, both seem to be good offerings from what I have researched and held. Any particular reason you pick the Bergara? Just like the 90* better?

Both are great actions but tikka all the way. Smooth, easy trigger spring mod as mentioned, and the biggest benefit in my option is there are plenty of prefit options available for them.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
I have been very happy with my 308 Tikka Tac, smooth as silk, fast bolt, very accurate, I installed the masterpiece arms grip (err or “hold”), yoyo spring and little bastard brake, nothing but good stuff to say. I’d say if I had any thought on how it could be better, have the stock fold the other way and guard the bolt, single stage trigger, and machine a ACRA rail into the for-end. But that’s nit picking

7315-FE27-986-E-48-C1-9-ACE-E115-ADC89-FA2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, both seem to be good offerings from what I have researched and held. Any particular reason you pick the Bergara? Just like the 90* better?

yep just like them more. No other reason.

Looking at picking up a .308 in either a Tikka T3x stainless, gray laminate or in a Bergara B-14 Terrain Wilderness. What ya'lls thoughts on these two rifles when compared to each other? Not debating caliber, just the two rifles themselves.

• The Bergara B-14 Terrain Wilderness comes with a cerakoting, AI mag, and adjustable comb stock with flush cups. It also has a 1:10 twist barrel.
  • The Tikka is stainless and has a 1:11 twist barrel. I would probably look at dropping it into a krg bravo chassis. So this option would be more money overall as I would probably leave the Bergara in the factory stock for now.
  • From what I have read the triggers on both a pretty decent from the factory. I'm not sure if either one has an advantage over the other in regards to their factory barrels.
  • I might would look at the Bergara HMR Wilderness as I like the grip angle on the stock better, but I think it would be too heavy for a hunting rig.
So what say you?

Bergara.

I went with the 6.5 CM Terrain Wilderness (TW) to replace my Ruger Precision based upon the outstanding performance of my B-14 HMR in 22-250. Shoots .25 MOA and took it to 1000 yards (55 gr V-Max).

Looked at the Tikka CTR pretty hard but cannot get in the US with set trigger and adjustable comb (International only). Looked at the Tikka UPR but it looks like it’s trying to be a HMR. Would like to own a Tikka but the Bergara won out.

I also looked at going to another HMR but I don’t like to have same type of rifles-like variety and unqiness and thought the TW would be easy to handle antelope hunting.

Waiting on my scope, so have not shot my new TW yet, but so far Rifle is very nice- the grip angle is vertical, not horzitional like most hunting rifles- its almost the angle of the HMR so I think the TW will make an excellent target & antelope rifle

I have both the HMR and T3x, albeit in different calibers.
I feel the action of the Tikka is superior.
While the HMR is crazy accurate, on a par with custom rifles at 2-3x the cost, it is too heavy for hunting.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
I had a 6.5 HMR for a little while. I had binding issues with the action if pushed at certain angles but was mostly pretty smooth. The HMR had issues with certain magazines impeding bolt travel when pressed on. (specifically magpul aics) The adj. cheek piece would also collapse on me while firing somehow? I finally had the barrel loosen on my rifle somewhere around 1k rounds. Up to this point it had shot sub moa with Hornady american gunner and reloads. The factory trigger was also good. This is a sample of one, so I may have had a lemon. I decided to sell it and purchased a tikka tac a1 in 6.5 next. I am not in love with the CTR magazines (meh) but that is my only complaint. The action is superior IMO and it is also extremely accurate, but it is significantly heavier.

Both of these guns are heavy to hunt with...but it just depends on what your purpose and expectations are. I enjoyed taking both out in case the hogs came out at further distances.

Tikka all the way.
I've owned a 25-06 stainless/synthetic
stock, that was a great all round rifle.
Now I have the Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor.
It shoots just well as the TAC A1's and CTR's that my mates' own.
We've had comps against each other, out to 1500 metres on the salt flats on our family farm.
The reason I got the Super Varmint instead of TAC AI is simply I like "traditional" style stocks.
With a Vortex Razor on board, its a very good rig.
Tikka is now the top selling rifle in Western Australia, and possibly the whole country.
You see a lot of Tikka's at the ranges, and in farmers utes.
Still, choose what you like, and enjoy it.
Seriously doubt you would regret getting a Tikka.
20201119_162217.jpg

Reactions: VargmatII
as was mentioned before, both rifles are very accurate. Both triggers are decent.
Tikka's advantage:
70 degree bolt lift, smooother action
Bergara's advantage:
-built in muzzle brake, adjustable cheek piece.

Bergara.

I went with the 6.5 CM Terrain Wilderness (TW) to replace my Ruger Precision based upon the outstanding performance of my B-14 HMR in 22-250. Shoots .25 MOA and took it to 1000 yards (55 gr V-Max).

Looked at the Tikka CTR pretty hard but cannot get in the US with set trigger and adjustable comb (International only). Looked at the Tikka UPR but it looks like it’s trying to be a HMR. Would like to own a Tikka but the Bergara won out.

I also looked at going to another HMR but I don’t like to have same type of rifles-like variety and unqiness and thought the TW would be easy to handle antelope hunting.

Waiting on my scope, so have not shot my new TW yet, but so far Rifle is very nice- the grip angle is vertical, not horzitional like most hunting rifles- its almost the angle of the HMR so I think the TW will make an excellent target & antelope rifle

So what say you?

So what say you?
went to 100 yard range to break in barrel/sight 6.5CM Wilderness Terrain. Very pleased with the result

Attachments

• 659460C3-A290-4AF6-959B-4CFDCCACD5B9.jpeg
    659460C3-A290-4AF6-959B-4CFDCCACD5B9.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 72
  • 704803E5-4BB5-46AA-A957-A8BE9CE9F10B.jpeg
    704803E5-4BB5-46AA-A957-A8BE9CE9F10B.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 56
They both will shoot and they are both smooth. It comes down to whether you’re a 90 degree or a 60 degree guy.

Is this a trick question?
I can't remember the last time I though, "Gee I wish I needed to fit higher rings just so my scope eyepiece clears the bolt handle".

90° bolt lift needs to crawl into a ditch and die.

• Haha
Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
Is this a trick question?
I can't remember the last time I though, "Gee I wish I needed to fit higher rings just so my scope eyepiece clears the bolt handle".

90° bolt lift needs to crawl into a ditch and die.
Every action I've ever owned has been a 90, never had that problem. Maybe you're doing something wrong.

Tikka. So many aftermarket options, well not as many as rem clones as mentioned but still a good amount. Plus, a $20 spring to make the trigger super light or if you want a Timney they make one for like $250 but most everyone with a Tikka just gets the spring.

I have the Bergara Premier 300 WM and I absolutely love it. I also have a Tikka T3X in a .308 and it is also a great rifle. For me it would come down to what you are planning to do with the gun. IMO If you want to shoot a ton you may want the Bergara as it has a heavier barrel, while the Tikka is lighter and has a sportsman barrel. If you are wanting a light rifle to save weight on hunting trips you may want the Tikka.

I would probably pick Tikka, unless you HAVE to have a 700 clone action. The Tikka does not need blueprinting if you want to accurize later on, simply get a shouldered prefit for it and headspace it. Bolt is incredibly smooth, and has tons of aftermarket support. (not as much as R700 actions)
Also bolt throw is speedy. Did I mention smooth? The SS one even more so.