• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Factory stocks...! Another HS precision B!#ch.

joelsa58

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
ft. bragg, nc
I just had a successfull day at the range shooting my Rem 504 22 lr.

Tonight it accured to me...

Why is it that I can get a relatively inexpensive target rifle that has a factory stock with a raised cheek piece.
Then for nearly twice the money I get another Rem product that has no raised cheek piece.

While I know most of you are thinking, "if you're serious about shooting just get a after market stock". You are right! I will. However WTF does HS make a stock knowing full well no matter what the shooter's prefrence, optics, or mounting options, etc...it is imposible to achieve a propper stock weld (do to sight height) with the factory stock on a Rem 700.

Can I get an Amen?

Re: Factory stocks...! Another HS precision B!#ch.

not sure what hs stock your refering to pss or ltr? i find both of these fit me very well . i guess they figure better to low than to high .

I have an ltr and a 5r(stock is virtually the same as the 700p or pss). Both are inches to low.

What I'm running into is neck tension. I find the more I can rest my cheekbone on the stock the less neck tension I get. Iduno maybe its just my style.

Both guns shoot great! BTW

It's not just HS, it's the rifle industry as a whole aside for a few select target or adjustable options. Factory rifle stocks are still designed for a cheek weld using open sights, on rifles that haven't even had the option of open sights in years. It's even worse now that most people are using at least 50mm objective scopes these days.

The problem is usually compounded even on those people that can get an okay check weld on rifles if they use a small dia. objective scope and super low mounts. Because then unless you don't have a neck you are either cramming your neck forward and down to keep the gun in your shoulder, or the butt stock ends up way too high in the shoulder.

Like most things, it's cheaper to do what they've been doing for years, and 90% of the people that buy rifles have no idea how to shoot, or how their rifle should fit, so until the masses complain about it, I wouldn't look for it to change anytime soon.