• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Subsonic 300BLK

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hi,

Just traded into an 8.3” 300BLK upper to put on a spare lower I have. I understand the pros and cons of supers and subs. I’m leaning towards subs due to the advancements seen with subsonic expansion.

Not looking to get back into reloading, so I’m wanting to see whats my options are for a reliably expanding, factory, subsonic 300BLK loading. Not too highly concerned with price as I’m planning on only stuffing about 5-7 mags with the ammo and will live fire with it 2 or so times a year. My main gun is a 12.5” 556, this 300 is a house gun.

I’ve got a business, Callaway Ballistics, that is semi-local I’d like to support, but if there is better out there, I’m all ears.

I’m not totally closed off to supers, but I’d rather just use my 556 if I needed that.

Edit to add: I am not looking to buy from anyone, such as seen in a “WTB” ad. I am just looking for feedback on factory subsonic loadings that I can buy commercially. I understand the rules and pay my monthly membership.

Thanks,
- PB Walsh

Last edited:
I’d place this in the PX under WTB. I might be able to help if that happens.

The Black Hills 300blk subs have been fairly available recently.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Some other expanding sub manufacturers with which I am familiar include;

Maker Bullets, Gorilla, Lehigh Defense, Black Hills and Cavity Back Bullets (It looks like Callaway loads CBB’s MKX expanding subs in one of their loads)

If you’ll be using a can, make sure whichever you choose that you put some rounds downramge without a can to be sure they stabilize well so you avoid a baffle strike.

Reactions: MSTN and PBWalsh

Reactions: PBWalsh
Thanks yall for the suggestions. The more I look at it the more I think I am in the wrong going 100% subsonic. These bullets yall are showing expand great, but there is not “rifle” wounding patterns associated with that expansion. Its like watching a good pistol bullet expand.

Watching effects of a 110-125 grain bullet are pretty convincing in comparison.

Thanks yall for the suggestions. The more I look at it the more I think I am in the wrong going 100% subsonic. These bullets yall are showing expand great, but there is not “rifle” wounding patterns associated with that expansion. Its like watching a good pistol bullet expand.

Really depends upon what you're trying to do. If I wanted a hearing-safe hunting gun, subs are fine assuming that the shooter can deal with the trajectory. If I'm interested in home defense, then it's time for supersonics.

Exactly correct. It's like archery hunting. You have to wait for the animal to bleed out. Supers will give you more bruising, larger temporary and permanent cavities, and more trauma in general. Even on animals like raccoons or coyotes you'll kill them dead with expanding subsonics but it's a 30 second to several-minute process even with a good shot. The same shot with a supersonic expanding projectile gives much quicker shut down.