• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory Tikka feeding issues

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
I convinced my friend to buy a T3x 223. He loved the gun, but it has terrible feeding issues. The bolt just glides over the cartridge pretty consistently using the cheap factory mags. The gun is bone stock. I have several factory mags that he tried. All the mags did the same thing. He tried my bolt and it did the same thing.

What are his options? Seems like mountain tactical has some mags that are supposed to be better. Anyone have experience with these?

He should just get a KRG Bravo and call it a day, but he doesn't want to spend the money.

Is the action fully seated on the lug? That’s a very rare problem to have with “cheap” factory mags.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Make sure the lug and bottom plastic are fully seated in their respective inlets. Might be worth removing both just to make sure there’s no obvious fitment issues or obstructions that would force the mag bottom plastic to sit slightly lower than normal.

I’m assuming you already know that the factory mags can be difficult to latch sometimes, but you should hear an audible click in the front when it’s fully seated.

If you’re handy with a drill press or a dremel, you could try removing some material from the bottom inlet to allow the mag to sit higher when seated.

Finally, you could try Waters mags (this is what I use in my Sporter and they are excellent) or convert it to full AICS, however if there’s an issue with the inlet, neither are guaranteed to fix the problem.

Since it doesn't work with all the mags you tried and two bolts the problem has to be something else.

There are two things that come to mind:

1. As already mention - ensure the action is seated on the recoil lug properly.

2. Ensure the magazine is locking into the proper position. Tikka uses a funky method of retaining the magazine.

I convinced my friend to buy a T3x 223. He loved the gun, but it has terrible feeding issues. The bolt just glides over the cartridge pretty consistently using the cheap factory mags. The gun is bone stock. I have several factory mags that he tried. All the mags did the same thing. He tried my bolt and it did the same thing.

What are his options? Seems like mountain tactical has some mags that are supposed to be better. Anyone have experience with these?

He should just get a KRG Bravo and call it a day, but he doesn't want to spend the money.
Mine has done the same thing since the day I got it. About 5 years ago. I use just a little short stroke to feel and hear the round catch. But I have had fast moving situations where it is an issue. Bone stock heavy 1:8 varmint barrel 223. This is what you get when you use the same parts for all your calibers and use inserts and other work arounds. But for the money, I am still OK with the rifle.

It's interesting that the Sako S20 is known to have this issue as well. For awhile they were selling aftermarket mag floor spacers that were supposed to help and now evidently Sako is replacing mags for those that have issues. Might be worth a call to see if they've made any mag changes. That said if my experience with Beretta is any indication, I'd have a couple good stiff drinks before calling them :). It took me months just to get ahold of someone at Beretta, and they first tried to have me send the rifle to the wrong service center (all rifle/accuracy issues need to go to their own service center, evidently they have other service centers with other shops/smiths for other things). Finally got it sent in to the right place, and it's been there going on 2 months, status just says 'in que for eval". At the end of the day I don't care how long it really takes, as long as it comes back fixed, but man what a hassle.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the Sako S20 is known to have this issue as well. For awhile they were selling aftermarket mag floor spacers that were supposed to help and now evidently Sako is replacing mags for those that have issues. Might be worth a call to see if they've made any mag changes. That said if my experience with Beretta is any indication, I'd have a couple good stiff drinks before calling them :)
I hear Beretta is terrible to deal with. My friend is bypassing them and buying the mountain tactical mags. Let's see how that works out. Seems like the mags are the weak point of the T3x. Even the plastic stock isn't that bad. I bought my tikka and it went strainght into a KRG, so had no idea of the issues. I have been watching some Australian or New Zealand goat/pest control hunts. Alot of those guys are using factory stock Tikkas with the same mags we have. No feeding issues that I can see.

I hear Beretta is terrible to deal with. My friend is bypassing them and buying the mountain tactical mags. Let's see how that works out. Seems like the mags are the weak point of the T3x. Even the plastic stock isn't that bad. I bought my tikka and it went strainght into a KRG, so had no idea of the issues. I have been watching some Australian or New Zealand goat/pest control hunts. Alot of those guys are using factory stock Tikkas with the same mags we have. No feeding issues that I can see.
" I hear Beretta is terrible to deal with. " If reports are accurate, Beretta USA may have the worst after sale customer service in the firearms industry.

Reactions: ToddM
Did you confirm the action is seated on the recoil lug properly? It’s pretty easy to tighten it down with it not seated and that will cause the front of the action to sit just a little high.

Did you confirm the action is seated on the recoil lug properly? It’s pretty easy to tighten it down with it not seated and that will cause the front of the action to sit just a little high.
I reported back to him, not sure what he did. The gun was never taken out of the stock, so if it was not seated right, it would have come from the factory that way.

I reported back to him, not sure what he did. The gun was never taken out of the stock, so if it was not seated right, it would have come from the factory that way.

It's entirely possible it came that way. Recently a guy bought a super varmint in 223 or something and it came with a magnum bolt.