• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing factory versus custom barrel using same brass

partisan1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
N. Pole, Alaska
I have been shooting a remington factory 338 lapua. I just recieved my custom 338 lapua with broughten barrel. I thought I would try and use the same load for both rifles but the completed rounds I have been using in my factory rifle won't fit in my custom rifle. Will full length resizing allow the bullet to fit in both barrels or do I need to have separate brass for each rifle? I have not tried FL sizing because I don't have a die for that.

Re: factory versus custom barrel using same brass

bro... you're comparing apples & pencil savings...

While FL sizing may allow you to use the brass in both rifles, you would be better served using different brass in each rifle... IMHO

YMMV

-Wil

Your factory rifle has a oversized chamber, as do all factory rifles. Your custom rifle has a tight chamber.

It would be wise if you did a load workup on the custom rifle and not use the same load without doing any testing.

Take Wils advice and use different brass for each rifle.

I was concerned that there was an issue with my custom rifle but it sounds like I jut need to buy new brass. Do you know who has 338 lapua brass in stock?

contact 'dfar' here on the Hide..

He has Lapua 338 brass in stock.... good guy to deal with...buy with confidence..

I'd suggest FL sizing the existing brass--and selling the factory stick. My guess is, YOU WILL NEVER SHOOT IT AGAIN after receiving the custom