• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

factory X custom

Erthal

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2005
Brasil
Hi guys, I have a question to ask about one caliber on wich I have little knowledge.
You can build a custom gun with good components(BAT action, Krieger barrel, McMillam stock, etc...) and expect to shoot better than a factory rifle recognized as of excellent quality and perfomance? (Sako TRG 42)

Re: factory X custom

Something wrong with my question?

Feel free to send a private message if we feel unconfortable to answer in the public forum.

TIA

Erthal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erthal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hi guys, I have a question to ask about one caliber on wich I have little knowledge.
You can build a custom gun with good components(BAT action, Krieger barrel, McMillam stock, etc...) and expect to shoot better than a factory rifle recognized as of excellent quality and perfomance? (Sako TRG 42) </div></div>

Um, well, I guess we need to know what the actual question is because it's not clear?

If I understand your question, basically you are asking if a custom build will be mechanically more "accurate" than a premium quality factory rifle?

AS A GENERAL RULE (to which there may be many exceptions) the answer would be yes.

On a custom build, the various operations and areas for variations in tolerances and clearances that would have a negative affect on accuracy can be more tightly controlled than on a factory production line.

As it is phrased though, your question states (more or less), "you can build a custom gun..., and expect to shoot better than a factory rifle...?" That all depends on the shooter.

Rifles are tools or machines and one can be made more precisely and to more exacting tolerances than another. Whether or not any given shooter can exploit the mechanical accuracy potential of any given rifle to its fullest potential depends on that shooter and his/her abilities.

For the most part,yes.I think the $ is better spent on a custom.TRG42 is a great gun from what I've read.

Steve

The TRG-42 is arguably one of the finest "factory" rifles that is commercially available right now. They are proven shooters if the "nutt behind the butt" is doing his/her part and the ammo used is of high commercial quality (FGMM, BH, Lapua, etc.) or handloads.

A "custom" rifle, built to your specs with the barrel (contour/profile, twist, length), stock, and other options specified as you want them for a specific purpose or purposes has the POTENTIAL to be a higher quality, more accurate, etc. rifle.

The highest quality built rifle in the world won't be any more or less accurate than a rack-grade Remington or Savage if the shooter isn't able to extract the most from the rifle.

I always get a kick out of guys that will drop $4-5k on a rifle and other $2k on mounts/rings/optics and wonder why they can't get it to shoot. Well, if they spent as much money on training, education and quality range time instead of expecting a $6-7k rifle platform to do all the work for them, they wouldn't have to ask the question.