• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Failure to Feed on my DPSM LR 308

wadebrown

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have had my DPMS 308 for about 18 months and have shot approximatey 1,500 rounds without a FTF. Last week it started to FTF about every third shot, one week and 100 rounds later I get a FTF every round. I like the DPMS 308 running properly, but it sucks as a single shot.

I shoot handloads and there has been no difference to the ammunition. When the FTF started I cleaned the gun throughly, relubed the gun. I thought it was maybe time to rotate a new magazine in and that did not change the FTF problems. I had a dozen brand new C-Product mags and I tried one of those and guess what, FTF.

It is a FTF not an FTE as the bolt cycles back and ejects the brass as usual but it does not pick up the next round as it goes forward.

I am kind of pulling what little hair I have out, so I thought I would ask the collective wisdom on the 'Hide to see what sagely advise would come forward.

Thanks

wade

Re: Failure to Feed on my DPSM LR 308

Does it lock open on the last round in the mag? Example, you shoot the last round, does the bolt hold back keep the action open? if not the bolt is not returning to the rear enough to pick up the last round. It may still eject ok. Look for plugged gas tube, gas port blocked or gas block loose or twisted.

Loose gas key can do that too. When you cleaned it, did you check everything? DPMS frequently has loose or unstaked gas key.

Mikee is on to something. Load 1 round in a mag shoot it to see if the bolt locks on the empty mag. If it doesn't lock back it could be your powder charge too. (unless youve chronographed your loads lately) Like he said its probably a Gas system issue.
    If the gas system checks good Make a couple dummy rounds manually cycle and watch for mag issues. Check your oal too they may be hanging up in the mag. The legth issue got me once not all bullets are exactly the same.

Check the extractor as well, in some of the early DPMS, the place I was working would have to replace the extractors between 1000 and 1500 hundred rounds. DPMS was told about it and they sent us a bunch of extractors that they had made with a different grade of steel and that helped quite a bit. I now carry a spare extractor spring kit with my DPMS SASS where ever I go.

Not a Failure to feed issue, but another Idea if problems arise.

And pull your buffer to check on debris inside the reciever extension.

It actually sounds like a gas issue more than anything, (now i read the whole post) but it could be a buffer issue.