• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Failure to feed

snakebyte922

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Texas
I just did a few mods to my AR15 including new upper and DD Lite rail and new bolt carrier. Same barrel. I also have some new pmags. My problem is when I fire the first 10 or so rounds out of the mag no problem. The rest move about 1" toward the feed ramp and jam!!!! What is wrong. The pmag feels tighter the my older ones like its just not right! I need help has anybody else had this problem?

Re: Failure to feed

Start by eliminating the changes. Old magazines, then old bolt carrier. Kind of sounds like you're over gassed, did you go to a lighter weight carrier?

Is it dirty? Try cleaning and lubing it very well. Are you using factory ammo? I had a similar issue with mine and found out my hand loads were a little under powered. Also try shooting it with the original bolt and see if the problem still occurs.

I have an older Colt Sporter II in .556 that I "upgraded". Got the DD Big Hole flat top upper receiver (what was Colt thinking with the large hole receivers?) and have had feeding issues using the old mags. The mags don't seem to seat properly....as if the receiver is too tight.

I had the gas block on mine repaired because it wasn't feeding the .223 (it's chambered 5.56) at all. After that, ran like a champ with .223. Fired some 77gr 5.56 Black Hills OTM through it, and the first two 25 round mags there were some FTF, but on the third mag none whatever. I was using P-mags like you.

After I went to clean it, the word "dirty" couldn't describe the bolt and carrier. Had to scrape off the carbon on the bolt from that high pressure ammo. I'm sure the barrel was pretty gross too, but I ran the snake through it several times at least. 2 hours later, it wasn't completely clean, but clean enough for now.