• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Failure to fire for fireforming 6 dasher

Danrobberg

Lance Criminal
Supporter
Minuteman
May 31, 2017
I have been having several failure to fires while forming 6 dasher in my bighorn tl3. Using cci 450 primers, 30 grains varget, nosler rdf 105’s jammed .030. Also used false shoulder method. Primers are dented but not igniting. Having no issues with rounds that have already been formed. Bighorn sent me a new firing pin assembly and that didn’t help. Any suggestions?

Shoot with a primer that has a softer cup. I use Federal 205's for fireforming. I just formed 200 cases the past few weeks, false shoulder + jammed 105 RDF, 29.5 of H4895, Fed 205's. No failure to fire, and got exceptional accuracy.

Hard cup primer like the 450 can push the whole case forward, either causing failure to fire or case stretch.

A friend of mine was having similar issues with his dasher and 450's, He double checked his bullet jam and changed to 400 primers. Working well now.

Funny enough I had the same exact problem 2 days ago. I switched to cci 400's and they all went off without a hitch.

Is there any reason you ain't using the Norma Dasher brass? Looks like you've got at least one good reason to try it!

The rifle is chambered for Lapua brass. I bought some federal 205 primers and will try them today.

Thank you Sheldon. The federal 205’s worked great. Got my last 60 rounds fire formed today and no misfires

Reactions: Sheldon N