• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Failure to fire...???

EventHorizon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
NC
so both are from the same batch. 6.5CR standard seating, Winchester large rifle primers. The left is the FTF the right was fine. I pulled the bullet and the powder measured perfectly. I've fired a couple hundred rounds with this set up and this was the first time I've had a FTF. From the same batch (75 rounds) I had 3 other FTFs and the primers were identical in their appearance to the one on the left.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

2w4icrs.jpg

Ive had a similar problem in my Remington 700 chambered in 223. I had to replace my firing pin spring. I was getting similar primer strikes, some would shoot some wouldn't. After switching my firing pin spring, the issue went away.

It is difficult to say with only one view to refer to but it appears that the primer strike on the left resulted in the primer being rounded off where the firing pin made contact (it looks dome shaped with the firing pin depression as its center). It would thus appear that the firing pin spent most of its inertia seating the primer with not quite enough energy left to cause ignition.

Thanks guys. Could this also be a seating of the primer issue rather than firing pin?

Gotcha. I'll pay extra attention to the priming during tomorrow's batch. Many thanks.

Could you post your findings? i.e, did paying more attention to your priming help in failure to fires. Thanks