• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Failure to fire

Valkyrie1776

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2022
Wisconsin
I’ve fired several hundred rounds through my 224 Valk AR. All hand loaded rounds
Recently, I took my cleaned AR to the range, realized I only had 20 rounds, shit them, went home. The next weekend, I took the rifle back out with 100 rounds. No Fire. Not even a primer strike. I didn’t clean it after the 20 rounds. But this was odd. Loads were the same. Function check was fine. It’s a Rise trigger that had 100+ rounds with no issue. Tried a different firing pin, same issue.

I just bought some factory ammo to shoot. If it fires, then I need to check all my loads, if it doesn’t fire, I’m out of ideas.
I was an armorer in the army and built this AR myself so I know what to look for. I’m hoping someone has a suggestion I haven’t thought of.

realized I only had 20 rounds, shit them, went home.
Did you eat them first? Or insert like a suppository?

Also, did you check the firing pin channel for obstructions like bits of brass or primer? I've also seen too much oil on the FP cause a no fire situation. Assuming you checked before firing to make sure the bolt was fully in battery? If you don't even have a dent on your primers I'm going to say it's a mechanical problem with the gun or the ammo being out of spec enough that it's not fully chambering.

Also, did you check the firing pin channel for obstructions like bits of brass or primer? I've also seen too much oil on the FP cause a no fire situation. Assuming you checked before firing to make sure the bolt was fully in battery? If you don't even have a dent on your primers I'm going to say it's a mechanical problem with the gun or the ammo being out of spec enough that it's not fully chambering

Also, did you check the firing pin channel for obstructions like bits of brass or primer? I've also seen too much oil on the FP cause a no fire situation. Assuming you checked before firing to make sure the bolt was fully in battery? If you don't even have a dent on your primers I'm going to say it's a mechanical problem with the gun or the ammo being out of spec enough that it's not fully chambering.
That’s why I bought some factory rounds. If they fire, then it’s most likely my hand loads.but I haven’t changed anything from the last few hundred. Same primers, powder, everything. It is possibly a chambering issue. But if it wasn’t in full battery, I don’t know what would have caused that. I even hit my forward assist several times after racking a new round.
What’s the suppository comment?

I’ve fired several hundred rounds through my 224 Valk AR. All hand loaded rounds
Recently, I took my cleaned AR to the range, realized I only had 20 rounds, shit them, went home. The next weekend, I took the rifle back out with 100 rounds. No Fire. Not even a primer strike. I didn’t clean it after the 20 rounds. But this was odd. Loads were the same. Function check was fine. It’s a Rise trigger that had 100+ rounds with no issue. Tried a different firing pin, same issue.

I just bought some factory ammo to shoot. If it fires, then I need to check all my loads, if it doesn’t fire, I’m out of ideas.
I was an armorer in the army and built this AR myself so I know what to look for. I’m hoping someone has a suggestion I haven’t thought of.
Do you have another BCG you can drop in?

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Ok. So… factory ammo fires just fine. And a “visual comparison” tells me that my hand loads aren’t seated deep enough. Not sure how in the hell my die got adjusted since my last loads but.. it’s apparently enough to keep the bolt out of battery. And since I could barely pull the charging handle to eject the unfired round, I’d suspect that’s my issue.

Thanks for the help guys.