• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Failures with drop in triggers

owtlaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
How many here have actually had a drop in trigger fail on them? What failed? How much use before it failed?

Way back in the day I had a Timney drop in that failed a hammer spring. I believe at the time I had to send it in, and they repaired it. Not too many places offer replacement parts for drop-ins. I have a couple of the AR Gold triggers, I think I have 6 of them, that came in Larue rifles, they have never had an issue yet, knock on wood.

i had a timney long ago that has a disconnector spring or engagement fail. they fixed and i sold it. never went back to any of those.

Back in the 2000s, one of the only options was the Rock River 2-stage, unless you wanted to shell-out for KAC or Jard.

The RRA 2-stage would hang-up on DPMS LR-308s, arresting the BCG in the rear position until you let go, so a half semi-auto. The sear engagement in them also wore out quickly.

Also, on the Geissele adjustable NM High-Speed triggers, you really need to dial-in your sear engagement to prevent them from doubling. This is true for any adjustable trigger that allows you to set the take-up to be right near the bleeding edge of release. If you ride that edge, you will likely have doubles. Not a failure per se, but an incorrectly-adjusted/set-up trigger.

Some of the hammers made with lightening cuts or skeletonizing can break in extreme cold or even low round counts.

Imitation hammer and trigger pins can crack, especially the hammer pin.

80% lowers that haven’t been anodized will slowly egg out the hammer pin holes, which is why anodizing is part of the design/TDP.

The companies that use certain tool steels and have a culture of holding to very strict tolerances and production QC are the ones I lean on.