• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Faint Reticle US Optics

Seventy 1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2007
Canada
Hello,

just curious on thoughts about a reticle issue with a US Optics scope.
Purchased a SN-3 SSDS over a year ago and aside from fondling, never had used or mounted, as was still waiting for a build for it. Basically the scope remained in the white shipping box it came in with the bubble wrap. The few times I held it up to the light and noticed that the thick edges of the MIL DOT reticle lines seemed transparent as if not enough of the burn in image was done. Areas almost look cloudy brown not solid black. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Re: Faint Reticle US Optics

Have you contact USO? I would think that is the first thing to do, and very certain that they will take good care of you.

Scope is in focus and no problems.
I didn't contact US Optics because of two reasons,
1) Even thought it's never been used or mounted or out of the box, it's been well over any warranty coverage.
2) I'm Canadian. When I purchased the scope it was a deal to hide members and I had to get IMPORT/EXPORT paperwork to satisfy U.S. federal state laws just to get it across the border. Apparently us canucks are still considered terrorists and it would be a headache to return it for service.( probably get seized at the border!)
PS , I do agree that US Optics are indeed awesome to deal with. First class!
So just was wanting some views as to the possible problem. Thanks

If it says USO on it they will take care of you.

I've seen what you are describing before and they fixed it with no issues, unfortunately you will have to fill out the proper forms.

Odd, I know of an SSDS with this exact issue. The service at USO is second to none. But I was wondering if this would be under warranty or not.

Spent too long saving to build a rig for it. When the Hide offer from US Optics came up I jumped on it.

I would still recommend an email or a phone call to USO first. At least you know for sure the recommendation is from "the maker", and know what action(s) is necessary.

If USO says the only option you have is to send it back in for service, I wouldn't try to mess with trying any other method.

Truth is I hate to bother them with such a petty issue. Considering the fact that these optics are combat worthy I should probably order up a set of NEAR base and rings and suck it up. I say petty because millions are wondering if they will have food to eat tomorrow and I'm concerned about a rifle scope.

Just curious, but did you have a light behind you? I've noticed something like this will happen if there's a higher contrast light behind me with certain scopes.

No, simply looking out a window with it being brighter outside.
It's like this at any viewing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seventy 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The few times I held it up to the light and noticed that the thick edges of the MIL DOT reticle lines seemed transparent as if not enough of the burn in image was done. Areas almost look cloudy brown not solid black. Any thoughts?
Thanks </div></div>

My ssds was the same way, the edges were still sharp and defined, though the transparent dark brown that you described. The scope worked flawlessly, so I didn't worry about it...

I think I'll go that route. Thanks for the feedback guys.

This is normal, the fact that the reticle is an etch and fill type made to be lit. The lines are actually white when you look at them under a microscope. The Titanium Dioxide is what the etching is filled with.
John III