• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fair price for GAP?

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Is it ok to ask a question about how much my rifle maybe worth that i am thinking of selling? I won't post any details or pics without confirmation. Thanks.

Re: Fair price for GAP?

Nothing wrong with that. You have also met the requirement for placing the ad in the for sale section. Youre going to need pictures and specs. to get an accurate estimate.

I'll give you $10 for it
wink.gif

^^^Thanks.

I have a custom GA Precision .308 with AICS chassis with 26" 5R Mike Rock barrel, FTE brake, tuned trigger, and all the other goodies from GAP such as everything trued etc etc. 20MOA Badger base, Harris bi-pod, Nightforce Rings with NF 5.5-22x with NPR-1 reticle with Zero Stops.

The rifle also comes with the big Pelican case with the foam cut for rifle and scope. The rifle/scope package has been shot a total of 19 rounds cleaned and put away. All were with 175gr Fed Gold Match.

All work was done by GA Precision. The rifle shoots better than i do obviously but the one range session i had with 10-20mph winds i put 10 straight rounds into a ragged hole.

This is as close to being new as you can get.

Chrono data: Fed Gold 175 grain chronos ~2680fps out of this rifle:)

Here are some pics:

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

Honestly, no particular reason except the fact that I live in Jacksonville and as a busy physician have absolutely no time to shoot. Also there is no where around me that has anything more than a 200yard range which is a joke for this rifle. This stick needs to be in a hands of someone that can stretch its legs.

Nice stick. The second picture makes the muzzle brake looks a bit crooked. Is it just an optical illusion? Also, what's the twist? and are you planning to sell everything as a package? Also, it may be helpfull to know how much you spent on that, since there obviously were more customed featured that you stated. If it is like new as you stated, then you should be able to get fairly close to the price that you paid for it. BTW, why are you selling it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick. The second picture makes the muzzle brake looks a bit crooked. Is it just an optical illusion? Also, what's the twist? and are you planning to sell everything as a package? Also, it may be helpfull to know how much you spent on that, since there obviously were more customed featured that you stated. If it is like new as you stated, then you should be able to get fairly close to the price that you paid for it. BTW, why are you selling it? </div></div>

That is definitely an optical illusion:) I would like to sell it as a package since the Pelican case foam is already cut to fit it as it is. Here is what i paid for everything:

Rifle= $4900
Scope with zero stops=$1700
NF Rings=$150
Pelican case=$200
Harris-S bipod=$90

Not to mention the half a year wait time to get this the way it is now.

Alpha, it is a great set-up. Not being negative at all, in this economy you might have a hard time getting what you paid for it. Then again you never know until you try!!!!

Good Luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dag1055</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alpha, it is a great set-up. Not being negative at all, in this economy you might have a hard time getting what you paid for it. Then again you never know until you try!!!!

Good Luck!! </div></div>

I completely understand what you are saying, but this rifle is not for someone that is looking for a budget setup. This is for someone that wants the top of the foodchain and does not want to wait 5-8 months and get a decent discount. I am not strapped for cash by any means so i will not be selling this for a heft discount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might want to take a good look at what others have been selling for. Also, what action was used? </div></div>

I have but i really have not come across one that has the AICS setup. Most are the basic packages that GAP offers and not a one off custom one like this one. It is using a Rem 700 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alpha....Are you sure you paid $4900 for the rifle alone, that seems a bit high. </div></div>

Pretty sure. You gotta consider that the AI stock by itself and work to glass bed is a large chunk to begin with. Also, i am sure i am missing a bunch of other little mods and goodies that GAP did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alpha....Are you sure you paid $4900 for the rifle alone, that seems a bit high. </div></div>

+1

Easy way to solve it........post the invoice...........and ask for BEST OFFERS by PM's only.

You KNOW what the least you will let er' go for.

And judging my your gorgeous home,Profession, <span style="font-weight: bold">I would keep it for no reason other than you may never ever be able to get another.............soon.</span>
But, that's just me.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy way to solve it........post the invoice...........and ask for BEST OFFERS by PM's only.

You KNOW what the least you will let er' go for.

And judging my your gorgeous home,Profession, <span style="font-weight: bold">I would keep it for no reason other than you may never ever be able to get another.............soon.</span>
But, that's just me.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I appreciate the suggestion. And i may just keep it:) I dont keep receipts for anything. I am horrible about that but it is what it is i have given the details and wanted to get an idea of what would be fair.

I understand that some people dont even like the AICS stock for what ever reason i dont know. This rifle is for someone that is looking for a top of the line rifle with all the bells and whistles and happens to want it the way it is being sold and does not want to wait a very long time. I will not sell this for more than a 10% below what i paid for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will not sell this for more than a 10% below what i paid for it. </div></div>

Sorry but you aint gettin over $4k for the rifle alone man. Hell you aint gettin over $3k

I'm not flaming your post, truly I'm not, but you need to find your records. You didn't pay $4900 for that rifle alone, I guarantee it.

Oh, and no matter what you paid, if you're not selling it for more than 10% below what you paid then you'll own it for a long time. Rifles are like cars, you take them off the lot and put even a couple of miles on them....their value goes down.

I'm guessing if you looked into it, you might have paid $2900 for it....and have $4900 into the package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will not sell this for more than a 10% below what i paid for it. </div></div>

Sorry but you aint gettin over $4k for the rifle alone man. Hell you aint gettin over $3k </div></div>

I appreciate your input but can you please explain? A Crusader rifle is going for $3500+ from GAP. So you add AICS, Badger Brake, Bipod and it wont sell for even $4k or $3K with no wait time. I am confused.

AICS is cheaper than a McMillan. AICS is $800....McMillan is $650 plus bottom metal, making it about $1000. And AICS costs less to bed too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will not sell this for more than a 10% below what i paid for it. </div></div>

Sorry but you aint gettin over $4k for the rifle alone man. Hell you aint gettin over $3k </div></div>

I appreciate your input but can you please explain? A Crusader rifle is going for $3500+ from GAP. So you add AICS, Badger Brake, Bipod and it wont sell for even $4k or $3K with no wait time. I am confused. </div></div>

Its a used rifle, they loose their value. Granted yours is basically new but it still falls into the "used" category. Nice stick btw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alpha....Are you sure you paid $4900 for the rifle alone, that seems a bit high. </div></div>

Pretty sure. You gotta consider that the AI stock by itself and work to glass bed is a large chunk to begin with. Also, i am sure i am missing a bunch of other little mods and goodies that GAP did. </div></div>
These prices are guestimates, close to what most of the smiths on the hide charge.
stock is about 800 bucks
250 ish to bed - most AI stocks I have seen aren't bedded.
barreled action 1500-1600ish
thread and install brake 200
paint 200

That should put it around 3K, nowhere close to 4900. For 4900, most people would get a AIAW and have some money left over.

And the Crusader rifle has a custom action....so MAYBE that's a wash for your brake and bipod...but not really even a wash.

Call GAP, I'm sure they have your info on file, ask what you paid.

Plus a Crusader uses a custom action IIRC. A trued Remmy is worth a lot less than a custom action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alpha....Are you sure you paid $4900 for the rifle alone, that seems a bit high. </div></div>

Pretty sure. You gotta consider that the AI stock by itself and work to glass bed is a large chunk to begin with. Also, i am sure i am missing a bunch of other little mods and goodies that GAP did. </div></div>
These prices are guestimates, close to what most of the smiths on the hide charge.
stock is about 800 bucks
250 ish to bed - most AI stocks I have seen aren't bedded.
barreled action 1500-1600ish
thread and install brake 200
paint 200

That should put it around 3K, nowhere close to 4900. For 4900, most people would get a AIAW and have some money left over. </div></div>

I will try to pull up my credit card statements from last year. I know that i paid for the rifle separately cause the scope had to be ordered with the zero stop. I will double check and post if and when i find. I know for sure it was not $3k.

Let me do a break down.

Action with trigger $450
Rock fluted barrel $420
Badger brake installed $210
AICS stock $800
Bedding for AICS $175
Chamber and true the action $350
Badger knob installed $95
Rifle coating (paint) $265

Total for rifle $2765 give or take

Bipod w/podlock $120
Base $150
Rings $150
Scope 1700

total for package $4885 again give or take.

I knew I forgot something, the Pelican case, but Im sure that its not more then $200?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me do a break down.

Action with trigger $450
Rock fluted barrel $420
Badger brake installed $210
AICS stock $800
Bedding for AICS $175
Chamber and true the action $350
Badger knob installed $95
Rifle coating (paint) $265

Total for rifle $2765 give or take

Bipod w/podlock $120
Base $150
Rings $150
Scope 1700

total for package $4885 again give or take. </div></div>

Based on the above then mine is costing even less than a Rock rifle? Something does not make sense? So a 26" Rock 5R fluted barrel costs $400? Is this a smith's cost or what they charge the end user? I am just asking? There is also the Badger 20MOA base etc.

$4900 is a bit high for that rifle. With that kind of money it should include extra mags, the pelican be a 2.0 folder, and have a Surgeon action and it would still be a bit high.

<span style="font-weight: bold">EASIEST WAY.......................</span>
Why discuss it to death?.
Can if you want........but this removes all doubts.

just check with GAP- its basically a base rifle with a few add-ons. The rifle starts at $3000 from GAP then add a bit for the extras and you can see where you are at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/prices.htm

I included the base, its under the bipod. </div></div>

I truly appreciate the feedback. I am not taking offense to this. I am just trying to figure out how this rifle based on your estimation costs less than even a Rock rifle or barely over their base rifle? Something does not add up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a Rock is $3k- yours has to be less in order to sell. </div></div>

The conversation is over what i paid for it new.

I am not strapped for cash by any means. I just dont think i will be using it and someone who will have a better use for it might want it. At this rate i might end up keeping it:)

Im sure GAP keeps records, give them a call and see if they can dig it up, thats the only way you are going to know for sure.

Edit: Also, Im sure there are other things GAP charged you for, like milling out the recoil lug are on the AICS, and adjusting the trigger that I didnt include in my estimate, so it could be a bit more, but no where near the price you think you paid.

Anyway, good luck.

3k minus optics and you will have a little trouble getting that, if you throw in everything minus the optics you should be able to get it. tight economy etc will throw a monkey wrench into a quick sale though.

"With respect,I've got a question? Being a doctor,this is pocket change,why worry?"

I would have trouble throwing 1500 into a fire, which is essintially what he will be doing if he paid what he thinks he paid for this rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a Rock is $3k- yours has to be less in order to sell. </div></div>

The conversation is over what i paid for it new.

I am not strapped for cash by any means. I just dont think i will be using it and someone who will have a better use for it might want it. At this rate i might end up keeping it:) </div></div>

looked like this was a discusion as to what yours could sell for- hence the title of the tread. It is clear that the rifle could not have cost $4900 by it self and I was simply stating what a new Rock rifle sells for from GAP. Keep it- sell it- makes no real difference to me and I did not question your finacial abilities.

At least it was fired.... I have seen plenty of customs go for sale without a single round through it. Everytime I get something new, I couldn't wait to go to the range to shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least it was fired.... I have seen plenty of customs go for sale without a single round through it. Everytime I get something new, I couldn't wait to go to the range to shoot it. </div></div>

Thats' true, I couldn't have a custom rifle built and not even fire it.

Without a doubt GAP can email you a copy of your build sheet. That way not only will you know what you paid but also will avoid alot of headaches if it sells and your description (because of faulty memory) wasn't 100% accurate. I once sold a GAP rifle here (I was the 2nd owner) and before I listed it I contacted them with a serial # and got a response in 24 hours (Iirc it was a question about the twist rate).

I remember looking at a rifle just like that at Gun Gallery and allmost bought it but what they wanted for it was more than what you could of had one built for.Please dont take this the wrong way but since its just a remy action and the way the economy is right now I think it would be hard to sell and I would just keep it. It is a nice rifle.

You ask a question on the Hide you're gonna get answers.