• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fair price for mags?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
What is a fair price to sell used mags for? I dont want to gouge anyone but I have some used GI and new thermold mags laying around and no AR to feed them into.

They are reliable mags and if I was still running an AR I would want mags I could dump in the dirt and keep nice mags for work or serious purposes. Is $20 to much or about right?

Re: Fair price for mags?

Best thing to do is put them on gunbroker. Then both parties will be happy with the deal. Let the market decide. Its not gouging if they bid it up.

GI mags were selling for $7-10 used before the "panic" if they were of a quality make. The Thermold mags used, before panic, maybe $5 each.

Put them on an auction site and let the market decide. It's a brave new world...

I would make double damn sure you can let them go first. Availability in 5-10 years will be ??? I wouldn't dump them now unless you just had to.

"Fair" in this market is a relative term considering what kinds of prices people seem to be able to command for even barely functional, beat all to hell mags.

Assuming 30-round mags, for the USGI, I'd say around $15-20 or so would be reasonable assuming they aren't too beat up in terms of finish and they still run 100%. As for the Thermolds...I have seen them recently selling new (20 and 30-rounders) for FAR LESS than $20/mag. I just picked up several 6-packs of Thermold 20-round mags new in the bags with mag couplers (3 couplers per set) for $23/set which works out to around $4/mag and that was just over a week ago I snagged those from a commercial business (not a private-party sale).

Just remember...the market is dictating prices right now and one man's "fair" is another man's "gouging." If you are trying to be as "fair" as possible, then put them up on GB, etc., and let some of these crazed dumbass bidders determine what the mags are REALLY worth in today's market.

Thanks guys, thats what I was looking for. I am keeping some 20 rounders and was in the process of scraping funds together for an AR when all of this hit so my AR dream went up in smoke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Fair" in this market is a relative term considering what kinds of prices people seem to be able to command for even barely functional, beat all to hell mags. </div></div>

^this. As of last week a shop near me still had beat up 80's GI mags for $15 a piece. The cheapest price on armslist near me (WI) for the same thing is $20. I sold 7 mags that I wasn't using (new D&H mags) on armslist for $25 a piece and the buyers seemed ecstatic.

Supply and demand. It's the same way that because the 795 came out I can't touch marlin .22 mags under $14 a piece when before I was buying them at $10.

If I needed AR mags I would be willing to pay $25 but, no more than that.

Well to answer the question two new thermold mags, 3 used GI 30 rounders and a used GI 20 rounder were worth $75 shipped and the auction got 21 views over 7 days. I dont mind selling them off and to me the price was fair, I was a little suprised how few views there were.

If I was on the other end I would feel good about getting that price for a pair of good mags I would use for serious work and four range mags that could be beat up without concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well to answer the question two new thermold mags, 3 used GI 30 rounders and a used GI 20 rounder were worth $75 shipped and the auction got 21 views over 7 days. I dont mind selling them off and to me the price was fair, I was a little suprised how few views there were.

If I was on the other end I would feel good about getting that price for a pair of good mags I would use for serious work and four range mags that could be beat up without concern. </div></div>

I would say that the buyer should be very pleased with that purchase...especially considering some of the @#$%ing absurd prices I have seen garbage mags selling for lately (much less quality GI mags in good/serviceable condition).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, thats what I was looking for. I am keeping some 20 rounders and was in the process of scraping funds together for an AR when all of this hit so my AR dream went up in smoke. </div></div>

Keep the mags. If you want an AR, just save up and wait. The Federal ban doesn't have the votes to pass. You are in Montana, so no worries about a Statewide ban.

When people feel safer about the Federal bill not passing, demand will fall, suppliers will catch up, and flippers will suddenly want to dump their stock.

Even if I am completely wrong and the ban comes to pass, prices will only be higher at that point and you will get an even "fairer" price for them.

In short, unless you are about to be kicked out due to nonpayment of rent, I'd hang on to the mags.

Agreed with above statements, unless you have hundreds, then you are risking future availability for a couple hundred dollars. Not worth it. Hang on to them, might be a nice chunk of change in 10 years