• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

fake scout sniper?

jeffm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2001
West Virginia
New guy at church claims to be a retired scout sniper with 235 kills. I think that is a bunch of crap. I know he is retired military and spent time in a VA hospital from a road side bomb, but 235 Kills, really? is there a way to see what his real service was?

Who counts anyway??? I was an Airborne Ranger with 1/75 from 1991-95. Its always interesting when people find out, especially after I hear some of the BS stories. Hey, My squad leader told some chick i was a door gunner on the space shuttle and she believed that crap and asked me about it. It was hard to keep a strait face.

Maybe he read too many of Dick Marcinco's books.

Under 30 generation has no problem being posers. They play dress up and use toy airsoft guns and photograph themselves wearing badges and tabs they've never earned. The under 20 generation are too lazy to even do that. They just sit in front of an XBOX or Playstation and play Battlefield and they pose. I even saw one dude who used photoshop and blue screen to fake pictures of himself in Iraq. They have no shame. I know there are some decent kids out there, but honestly I see a lot of losers.

Last edited:
Most of the individuals I have met, who were required to take another person's life in conflict, don't usually speak about it much.

Who counts anyway??? I was an Airborne Ranger with 1/75 from 1991-95. Its always interesting when people find out, especially after I hear some of the BS stories. Hey, My squad leader told some chick i was a door gunner on the space shuttle and she believed that crap and asked me about it. It was hard to keep a strait face.

Maybe he read too many of Dick Marcinco's books.

RLTW! brother 3/75 2006-2010

235 kills, this guy must also think hes the door gunner from full metal jacket.
Full Metal Jacket- Get Some - YouTube

Ask him to explain some basic type information to you, telling him you don't understand mildots or something and see how he explains it. We had a guy that claimed to have been a Seal (don't they all), and we left some parachute rigging equipment laying around to see what he said. He picked it up and played with it and asked us what it was used for. He then had to come clean with us.

I knew a guy that claimed to be an army sniper. He had very, very detailed stores. So I kind of believed him. At the time he was working at a pawn shop behind the gun side. They had a huge gun dept. He called me one day telling me be just picked up a M24 for $300. I drove over there and it was just a regular 700 S/A with a heavy barrel. I told him there is no way you were ever an army sniper. Turns out, I was right.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

23127d1386299814-fake-scout-sniper-bsmeter1.jpg

Folks who have been overseas and specially those who have been deep in sh1t rarely talk about what is done overthere and never to strangers.

Get his name and look him up, check into him. I usually just disregard anyone that tells me they were SF, Ranger, Seals (the new popular wanna bees), unless they are close to someone in the family then I will do a little checking and call them out on it, just the two of us (one on one) so as not to embarrass them into doing or saying something even dumber. Have done this twice, those people are no longer close to family members.

+1 to catswithguns post, those who have had to take a life, rarely if ever talk about it and never brag about it! He's full of shit if you ask me.

Get his name and look him up, check into him. I usually just disregard anyone that tells me they were SF, Ranger, Seals (the new popular wanna bees), unless they are close to someone in the family then I will do a little checking and call them out on it, just the two of us (one on one) so as not to embarrass them into doing or saying something even dumber. Have done this twice, those people are no longer close to family members.

But I really am a Ranger. I was with 7th ID for like 9 months before I went to Ranger Indoctrination Program and onto 1/75. I was with HHT 2/9 Cav. I say that because Im assuming you were with the 7th ID given your avatar and all.

I will have to tell you that i do get people who come up to me and say they heard i was Marine, SEAL, Green Beret, etc. as people always fuck up as i was a Ranger.

Back at you brother. My old 1st Sgt ran the regiment back during that time frame. Michael Hall. Sure you've heard of him. Good dude.

Must of been before my time at Regiment I remember a CSM Inman and at 3d Battalion was CSM Merritt, you might know him as he was a long time 1/75 guy. Take care.

One of my units yep, Bayonet man here, got to do some good stuff in this division, other divisions too but not like the 7th. Am not a Ranger, Green beanie or anything Gucci, just a plain old badass light fighter. When people come to me and ask if I was a marine I always pause and reflect on my recent actions, I ask myself if I was doing anything retarded or talking too much imaginary bullsht, then I correct them.

But I really am a Ranger. I was with 7th ID for like 9 months before I went to Ranger Indoctrination Program and onto 1/75. I was with HHT 2/9 Cav. I say that because Im assuming you were with the 7th ID given your avatar and all.

I will have to tell you that i do get people who come up to me and say they heard i was Marine, SEAL, Green Beret, etc. as people always fuck up as i was a Ranger.

Last edited:

What's the difference between Ranger Indoctrination Program and RASP? Just asking out of curiosity.

So check this out...

I have been going to couple of clubs local ranges for a number of years and I have seen almost everything.
One day I am all set to meet whit one of my buddies over there. So one day I am opening the door and right behind the door there is a guy in fatigues but with the whole
gear on, including a surplus military helmet from WWII.
Now this is no special occasion, reenhancement or anything. Just a regular Sunday afternoon. He had on a mix of surplus stuff between modern German army, US army WWII,
Romanian surplus, you call it! .. including a bayonet, canteen, etc... I think you get the picture! LOL
So this is the middle of April and I tell him... Darn I hate I missed Halloween this year. The guy is not getting it. Then I realize the guy has not all the marbles with him.
...you know a mix between Jerry Lewis and Forrest Gump sort of deal.
Then he is there on the ground shooting prone with a jamomatic 22LR of some kind shooting at 25 yards and I am feeling a little sad for the guy ... you know about the roof top situation.
Then my buddy comes in sees the deal and later we are talking to him and telling him you cannot really come to the club like that, I mean we love it but some people and the kids we coach
at the leagues are going to be scared they are being setup for boot camp and all that!

So you know. The lord has his ways to tell us there is room for everyone on this world but some they just... I dont know...

I am not sure if it is Holliwood and the movies or the video games or what....

Some other day I will tell you some other anecdotes from other outing adventures.

I've killed well over that many groundhogs. Did he say "human kills"?

Senior, that's nasty and I doubt most on here even know what that is:) To the OP, the only way to be sure is to see a dd214. We had plenty of these over the years and they appear to be escalating. All you can do is call them on it but some have been living the lie for so long that it becomes their reality and even people around them don't challenge them too often. I had one at my last command on green side (Marines) that had recon jump/ dive, 4 purple hearts, 2 CAR's, and three warfare pins just to name a few. Needless to say, I had to get his retirement paperwork together and in getting his 214 ready, found out the whole thing was a lie.

Last edited:
Under 30 generation has no problem being posers. They play dress up and use toy airsoft guns and photograph themselves wearing badges and tabs they've never earned. The under 20 generation are too lazy to even do that. They just sit in front of an XBOX or Playstation and play Battlefield and they pose. I even saw one dude who used photoshop and blue screen to fake pictures of himself in Iraq. They have no shame. I know there are some decent kids out there, but honestly I see a lot of losers.

Gosh... that's a great idea!!!! So let me get this right! I can earn the respect of others by faking service to my country by utilizing the latest in computer graphic technologies! Oh shit! I could fake a Doctorate degree in quantum physics. But.. I'm sorry, it's called (call of doodie) Not battle-ship or whatever? Jokes aside, I don't think it's an affect labored upon the latest generation, it's an ailment that has always existed.

"concern of the ills of todays youth is a sigh of old age"
Plato.

So far none of the posts are very helpful. Some ask why where we talking about this in church. It was part of a Christian based addiction recovery program I help out with. I am afraid that this guy has issues far beyond what we can help him with; I’m just trying to find out what we are dealing with. He is a veteran that served 20 years and was in the VA for a head injury that he claims was from an IED. Is there any way I can check his service record to see what his real story is?

I would just simply ignore him. it's not worth the time. Anyone who spits out a claim like that to some one they are not lifelong friends with is just another poser. You usually know the ones who were really in the shit as they do not talk about it.

So far none of the posts are very helpful. Some ask why where we talking about this in church. It was part of a Christian based addiction recovery program I help out with. I am afraid that this guy has issues far beyond what we can help him with; I’m just trying to find out what we are dealing with. He is a veteran that served 20 years and was in the VA for a head injury that he claims was from an IED. Is there any way I can check his service record to see what his real story is?

Does he talk to himself?
Does he see "things"?
If he is that bad unless you are closely related to see if you can talk about some issues or ideally a Doctor with authorization to intervene then leave it to a professional.
Best thing you can do is to discuss with a professional or organization you think might be able to help him, if he wants to be helped.
If you think he is a danger to himself or others call 911 and ask for an ambulance.

Last edited:
i have a tattoo shop so i hear this kind of crap all the time,,,,,,some guy claiming he was ex-SF and this and that...

one of my friends has the best war story ever..

i knew he was in the army so i asked if he had seen any combat..he says.." the closest i came to combat was in Somalia before all the black hawk down stuff. i drove a truck with supplies and some times rode on the back because the skinny's would climb up on the sides and try to steal shit and i would hit them on the head with a stick...kinda like wack a mole. that was my combat experience." LOL.....

fake scout sniper?

Lately I have taken to smiling and nodding. But with the well-timed application of flattery sometimes they will even pay for a round of beers before things get ugly.

Last edited:
Lately I have taken to smiling and nodding. But with the well-timed application of flattery sometimes they will even pay for a round of beers before things get ugly.

hahahaha....exactly!! I visited a chiropractor the other day for the first time. As he was fixing me he was telling me how he just retired from the Guards after 30 + years and started telling me about all his "stories" Half way through the session he noticed one of my tattoos and when he realized what it was he changed his tune very quickly. Up until then he didn't know I had served and I never brought it up. Always makes me laugh.

I have a theory about this type thing. It extends into the whole video games/movie discussion which is to much to get into right now but the bottom line is I have come to the conclusion that Batman, Superman etc etc have been replaced with DEVGRU, Ranger, Sniper etc etc. These are the new superhero's that many want to emulate or in worse cases delude themselves into believing they are. The military is about the only place left with ideals and personalities worth emulating. Everything else is tainted in some way. Cant swing a dead cat by the tail without smacking into some story of Olympics, rigged, athletes drugging, movie stars going off the rails etc etc. Add to that what movies and vid games do for the image for people growing up during the last 25 years and its no wonder the poser #'s continue on the rise. Of course they all miss the concept of earned honor, but I think in their minds its the equivalent of comic con or Renaissance fair.

New guy at church claims to be a retired scout sniper with 235 kills. I think that is a bunch of crap. I know he is retired military and spent time in a VA hospital from a road side bomb, but 235 Kills, really? is there a way to see what his real service was?
You met him at Church? Maybe you could get your preacher to have a sermon on the 10 commandments.....just saying.

get this i met one of my wifes friends bf and she had told me that he was a scout sniper... so when i get to her house i meet the guy told me he was a marine and i was like cool , i noticed he had a hogs tooth around his neck so i told him, " i see you got your hogs tooth" he replied with my what.... said again your hogs tooth... looked at me with a blank face then i realized this guy doesnt know what im taking about... so i told him that bullet you have around your neck.... his response was oh u call it a hogs tooth.... i was like yeah isnt that what it is i thought when you guys finish sniper school you are hogs, hunter of gunmen, still looked at me funny . pulled my wife to the side and told her this guy is full of shit im not even in the military and i know that shit ...... funny that she even told me he didnt know what the bullet around his neck was called... having explained to her what it was watching the movie shooter.... why do guys to that shit at least research about it if your going to lie

Good one, G

If this guy really is going around bragging, maybe it is time for you to have a sit down with the preacher. Start there and see what he says. Maybe it is better to let the preacher deal with it. I mean why would anyone bring up such service in church? Fine on Veterans Day to stand up as there is some type of recognition. Sad so many congregations are so gullible. One doesn't want some fund raiser, collection or even worse, a TESTIMONY told on the false basis. People are scum everywhere, even in congregations. If this guy even was a Marine is in doubt.

When I was a kid, there was a man in my church who's ears where all messed up. He had a lot of scars all over. I knew him 10 years before I found out he did spend some time in a concentration camp being tortured.

Perhaps this guy who brags in your church has some significant personal issues of ego. The pastor has the ability to put that one in check.

There are more Scout Snipers and Recon Marines out of the Marine Corps than were ever trained in the Marine Corps. I just nod my head and use some lame excuse to exit stage right.

I can remember hearing a "SEAL's" tale about fighting in Vietnam, so I doubt that it's limited to any generation in particular.

I'm sure that there are some who have claimed to have been a parachute regiment during World War 2, or in the Pacific with the Marine Corps as well.

Heck, there might even be some motherfucker during the Roman Empire who claimed to be some type of elite Roman soldier, and never got passed changing out the chamber pot for a Senator.

I knew a guy that was deep undercover with SOG. His code name was Agent Orange. He was in Ben Gay in '69. Said things got pretty hot.

Last edited:
I new a guy that was deep undercover with SOG. His code name was Agent Orange. He was in Ben Gay in '69. Said things got pretty hot.

Balls deep in Ben Gay doesn't sound like a situation any guy wants to be in.

I saw a lot of action in Poon Tang province myself.........

Heck, there might even be some motherfucker during the Roman Empire who claimed to be some type of elite Roman soldier

Don't be making jokes about my unit.

But on a serious note. I remember taking to this older gal and she was talking her husband up big time and i was a little guarded, because when people find out I was a Ranger, i get so and so was a Ranger, Seal, SF, etc. here it all the time. The Spec ops guys know what i'm talking about. Anyway, she wants me to meet her husband and I eventually meet him. When i see him, he is obviously quite a bit older that me. For those of you who don't know, being a Ranger is a young man's game. Most guys are 19-20. Not like Delta or SF. So, I typically listen just listen and don't say much. After talking with him, i ended up finding out that her served with Doc Donovan (which for anyone in 1st Bat, he's a legend) and he checked out. Now, he wasn't tooting his horn, his wife was.

Now, I don't go around talking about my military service often. I will answer questions when asked about what I did while in the Army. But I tell you what, once someone finds out you were a Ranger or any member of SOCOM, they tell everyone and then you become "I have this friend who was a Ranger ....." You get the drift. When people talk about being a Ranger, there are 2 types. Someone who just went to Ranger School and someone who is a bat boy, i.e. In a Ranger Bat. So when i here so and so was a Ranger at the 101st, means he just went through misery for 3 months or however long Ranger School is these day (it Was 58-72 days when i was in) plus if they spent anytime in gulag or stalag. There is a saying that went around when i was in, which went along the lines of "anyone can get their tab, but the scroll is the way of life."

By the way, my credentials can be verified by looking at the Ranger Memorial

https://www.rangermemorial.com/virtual_stone.aspx?ID=4217

RLTW!

Last edited:
But on a serious note. I remember taking to this older gal and she was talking her husband up big time and i was a little guarded, because when people find out I was a Ranger, i get so and so was a Ranger, Seal, SF, etc. here it all the time. The Spec ops guys know what i'm talking about. Anyway, she wants me to meet her husband and I eventually meet him. When i see him, he is obviously quite a bit older that me. For those of you who don't know, being a Ranger is a young man's game. Most guys are 19-20. Not like Delta or SF. So, I typically listen just listen and don't say much. After talking with him, i ended up finding out that her served with Doc Donovan (which for anyone in 1st Bat, he's a legend) and he checked out. Now, he wasn't tooting his horn, his wife was.

Now, I don't go around talking about my military service often. I will answer questions when asked about what I did while in the Army. But I tell you what, once someone finds out you were a Ranger or any member of SOCOM, they tell everyone and then you become "I have this friend who was a Ranger ....." You get the drift. When people talk about being a Ranger, there are 2 types. Someone who just went to Ranger School and someone who is a bat boy, i.e. In a Ranger Bat. So when i here so and so was a Ranger at the 101st, means he just went through misery for 3 months or however long Ranger School is these day (it Was 58-72 days when i was in) plus if they spent anytime in gulag or stalag. There is a saying that went around when i was in, which went along the lines of "anyone can get their tab, but the scroll is the way of life."

By the way, my credentials can be verified by looking at the Ranger Memorial

https://www.rangermemorial.com/virtual_stone.aspx?ID=4217

RLTW!

That's what I've never really understood. What's the difference with those who have a tab and those who are really Rangers, those that went to Ranger school, the bad ass Rangers who are 75th Rangers? Sorry, just don't understand?

I'm not a ranger, never been to ranger school nor been assigned to a ranger bat.

But its my opinion a ranger is a ranger, as long as he has the tab (completed Ranger School). Whether he is in a bat. or not, is the luck of the draw.

A ranger in a line (infantry) company is every bit as much a ranger as one in the ranger bn.

I met that "door gunner" at a gun show...he was trying to sell his autograph...he was in the movie for ten seconds and he thinks he's a big movie star.
I didnt see one person go near his table the entire time I was there. ...