• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Faking military service

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    My buddy owns a construction company. Hired a 35yr old who keeps cocking off about “being in a 40 man tier 1 unit” stationed in Germany. And also being a “sniper instructor” for “the units” in Utah. My buddy is convinced the dude is telling the truth but I’m seeing a lot of red flags.

What can I have my buddy ask this dude to definitively know?

Your buddy could ask for a copy of the guys DD214, but he's not required to provide it. Giving the guy the benefit of doubt, there are employer incentives for hiring veterans that meet certain conditions, your buddy could ask for info to see if he (the employee) qualifies.

Unfortunately, as long as he is not benefiting in any way from his veteran claims, not much can be done in regards to stolen valor. What specific unit does he claim to have been attached with and when did he separate or medically retire as he is too young to have a regular retirement yet. If he claims medical, the boss can ask for a DD214 for insurance purposes if he is a disabled vet.

Seems to me that an employer has to get the SSI from an employee....even if it's a 1099 type job.
    I haven't a clue why anyone would need more info than that to conduct a background check of sufficient depth.

I guess the bragging is the red flag. I've never served, but I have lots of friends in the military including my younger brother. They always are modest about their service and if you thank them for their service, they always say "no thanks is needed, I was just doing a job". As far as the stolen valor thing goes, I only have a problem with it when it's used to gain benefits. I don't have much of a problem with blowhards telling tall tales about their ghost military service.

For all I know the dude is legit. But him openly discussing his accolades is what set me off. I have a few friends who served. 3rd Bat 75th Rangers. 5th group. Seal teams. And not one of them openly discussed their history until we’ll into our friendship.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    My buddy owns a construction company. Hired a 35yr old who keeps cocking off about “being in a 40 man tier 1 unit” stationed in Germany. And also being a “sniper instructor” for “the units” in Utah. My buddy is convinced the dude is telling the truth but I’m seeing a lot of red flags.

Is is his name @TheGerman ?

Wait...Taco Bell doesn't sell good Mexican food?

2xscjb.png

What does bragging have to do with it anymore? You have hats, license plate holders, mugs, t shirts and all manner of shit now on display letting anyone with any of their senses in working order know what, where, when the service was served. It's not unusual to tell people you were in the forces, were in combat and in what capacity anymore.

Best thing to ask him is does he know the formula for shooting through a sniper hole in the wall.... that shit's closely guarded...

• Haha
    Reactions: Bender
    What does bragging have to do with it anymore? You have hats, license plate holders, mugs, t shirts and all manner of shit now on display letting anyone with any of their senses in working order know what, where, when the service was served. It's not unusual to tell people you were in the forces, were in combat and in what capacity anymore.

Best thing to ask him is does he know the formula for shooting through a sniper hole in the wall.... that shit's closely guarded...
    What secret there was a thread on it. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/loophole.6253216/

What branch was he in?

Friend retired from 7th SFG. He has a sticker, "I FOUGHT IN STUFF."

Try something easy. Ask him what caliber his "sniper rifle" was when he was in the whatever branch of service. Then ask him as many questions about things like M118, M118 LR and various sub lots or M852 or maybe MK 262 Mod 1 or maybe he has tried the new MK248 Mod 1 or did he like the old 190's better?

Always awesome to meet a sniper. We had a "real sniper" on a deployment who was later caught in the Top 3 lounge at an NCO club telling amazing "top 3 stories" about how he was the only 27 y/o E4 to ever skip a few grades and get promoted right to the top,,,lol. It went..............................................badly.

Last edited:
    We had a "real sniper" on a deployment who was later caught in the Top 3 lounge at an NCO club telling amazing "top 3 stories" about how he was the only 27 y/o E4 to ever skip a few grades and get promoted right to the top,,,lol. It went..............................................badly.

Was his name Custer, George A.?

If you have a real honest to God Vet around that was a BTDT type person he can talk to him and with 2-5 questions be able to tell you if the guy is real or not.
    Very basic questions that anyone that was actually there would know and the vernacular.
    Vets are very good at smelling rats and they hate them.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Unfortunately, as long as he is not benefiting in any way from his veteran claims, not much can be done in regards to stolen valor. What specific unit does he claim to have been attached with and when did he separate or medically retire as he is too young to have a regular retirement yet. If he claims medical, the boss can ask for a DD214 for insurance purposes if he is a disabled vet.

You can fire him.

Your buddy doesn’t want to loose his labor, he knows this guy is full of it.