• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FAL Opinions

Re: FAL Opinions

In general, accuracy is supposed to be 2-3 MOA or larger with match ammo while durability is supposed to be very high.

With the prices of 308, I personally don't see the appeal in them.

krm375,

While i respect Larry Vickers, that link you posted is an informercial for DSA.

I think the OP is looking for more objective analysis of the FAL.

FALs are fine to own if you want to add them to your collection of firearms that represent different eras and places in the world. An interesting mechanism they are, best left in stock configuration such as an STG-58 with irons. Forget about altering the barrel length, gas system length, adding rails, scopes, etc.

Lots of FAL minions here if you want to join in.

http://www.falfiles.com/index.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
While i respect Larry Vickers, that link you posted is an informercial for DSA.</div></div>

Nothing in that link is wrong though.

Accuracy is the only weak point to the FAL as far as I'm concerned. Reliability is excellent, control placement is excellent, Optics mounting is easy with the DSA scope mount, field stripping is easy, the adjustable gas system has allowed me to shoot ammo some of my other gas guns wouldn't cycle.

I'd agree with the 2-3 MOA with good ammo stated earlier. Because of this I think the best configuration is a shorter barrel and a low powered optic or red dot.

love them but it aint a precision platform. the ergonomics are reason enuf to like it for me but for pricepoint an ak does almost as good for much less...until you go long and then a boltgun or better platform is warranted. so...it is what it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been considering getting a FAL. I'm curious about experiences with:

1. Accuracy

2. Durability </div></div>

I have a Fal- paratrooper model. Accuracy wise its an honest 2 MOA rifle with decent ammo. I have done slightly better at times but I would not expect much more. Durability wise the FAL is a widely distributed automatic rifle in several countries with an excellent track record of reliability. For pure pointing ability
the FAL rifle is similar to the Browning highpower pistol. It points and feels like and extension of your hand.

A buddy of mine swears by them. He has gotten good groups but thats with a custom DSA. I like the rifle just more comefortable with the SR25 Platform. GYZ

Thin barrel, "marginally" acceptable battle accuracy (mine is honestly a 3-4 MOA gun with NATO spec M80). Great ergos and great durability.

It'll go bang every time, but don't rely on it to make precision shots at distance. Recoil's honestly pretty tame for a full-power cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're a battle rifle enthusiast an FN-FAL is a must-have. For everything else the AR platform is the way to go.
</div></div>

Agreed. The MWS recently replaced my FAL for Semi .308. I finally decided Col. Whelen was right, "Only accurate rifles are interesting". I don't see the point in the extra weight and recoil if I'm not going to be able to make hits at longer ranges than 5.56 due to accuracy issues, unless you have a really good reason for needing all that extra power at shorter ranges.

KChen is absolutely correct, recoil is very tame for what it is.

The FAL is hard to beat in almost every way, it's only shortcoming is accuracy. That's a pretty major area to fall short in for me though, you may have other priorities.

Not so fast, Grumulkin. 8yrs ago, for a total of 650.00 or so, I picked up an all Imbel parts kit, with brand new Imbel hammer forged para barrel, and dumped it on my local smith, who bragged about the FAL he built. A month later I was blown away with the accuracy of this carbine. Routinely MOA with 44gr Varget under 168 smk. Under MOA with ANY bullet 130grs & under. This gun replaced a $1750. DSA boat anchor that I was stupid enough to fall for. This thing had a 24" fluted heavy barrel and a free float handguard. After 8-10 months of spraying gold medal match at 4+ MOA & troubleshooting, I unloaded it to a guy who was attracted to its "tacticoolness" for a $500.00 loss, and still felt lucky. I even showed him the atrocious groups it was shooting. While they made no accuracy claims, the techs reassured me that it should still "shoot pretty good".
You don't always get what you pay for, but most of the time, you do.