• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FAL Rifle w/Match Grade Ammo?????????

762Fundi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2006
Mods if this is in the wrong place move to Exterior Ballistics with my humble apologies.

I am taking a precision rifle class in 2 weeks and have always wanted to know what my FAL was truly capable of, so I figured I'd bring it along to the class as a backup and with the aid of some experts see what the FAL can really do.

I will be using Fed GMMatch 175SMK thru an AI and was wondering if they will work safely and successfully out of a FAL rifle? Or does anyone recommend another cartridge?

I have an original Belgian FN FAL 50.64 para marked 308Win, but have never fired 308 out of it only 7.62. This is an almost exact duplicate of my issue rifle back in the day and I have always questioned if it was safe to shoot 308 out it even if was marked 308Win just for import purposes.

Not even sure if the 175gr will create headspacing issues. Palmetto does sell 7.62 Fed GMM 175SMK, but all the smaller gr/wt cartridges are 308.

Any Experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: FAL Rifle w/Match Grade Ammo?????????

Not to sure about the FAL but IMHO that would be to heavy for that rifle. I know my HK91 doesn't like anything heavier than 168. Not that it won't work but it just is not as accurate. (not that an HK91 or FAL is a precision rifle)

Do you have any worries about shooting 308 in your HK91?

Does it shoot "WELL" with the 168? I was afraid the 175 was gonna be a poor idea, I guess I'll see if there is something match grade around 150grain.

The HK91 will shoot anything. I havnt' tried .223 in it yet but it may even shoot that. Just kidding but you get what I mean. It just will not misfeed, stovepipe, misfire, nothing it is just plain reliable. As to accuracy most battle rifles are just not what is considered accurate when you put them next to more modern designs but remember I bought this rifle in 1983. How old are some M1A1? When was your FAL manufactured? If you find one that will get 1 MOA it is a REAL keeper. Sometimes I can get that out of it but it is hard to do. Like I said the 175's will work and so will the 168's but they were all designed for 147, 150, or 155 grain stuff. IMHO

I think the twist rate on the FALs was 1/12 wich is sketchy for 175 grain bullets. Give the heavy pills a try, but I wouldn't buy more than a box of the 175s. 168s and below should run fine.
308 win is a saami spec "sporting" cartridge 762x51 should run fine in your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/12...is sketchy for 175 grain bullets.</div></div>

How so?

Only reason for asking is my GAP M40A1 has a 1 in 12 twist and is scoped with an MST100 that is BDC for 175gr.....seems OK to me

I keep recalling the "Top Tens" Service Rifle programming segment from the Military Channel which contends that the FAL was developed for 'an intermediate cartridge' (whatever that may be), then re-engineered for the then-new 7.62x51 NATO round. They further contend that the new cartridge 'about maxed out the design' in terms of energy management capability.

It makes good sense to me to refrain from employing cartridges that project more weight than the basic 147-155gr projos that are considered under Palma rules to be valid as quasi-NATO amminution.

Unless there is some compelling need to employ a higher BC bullet, I'd stay with something in the original bullet weight range. The above logic suggests that among rifles designed for the NATO rounds, the FAL is possibly the least well suited to shooting the heavier bullets.

One suggestion for a factory load would be the Hornady .308 155gr Palma Match load. Another choice would be for a more generic NATO Ball-Equivalent load. The Federal American Eagle .308/150gr ammunition is considered by some to be the most accurate among such basic loads, but don't be expecting FGMM-like accuracy.

1/12 with good velocity will stablize a 175 smk. Optimal twist rate is 11.25 for the 175s.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/12...is sketchy for 175 grain bullets.</div></div>

How so?

Only reason for asking is my GAP M40A1 has a 1 in 12 twist and is scoped with an MST100 that is BDC for 175gr.....seems OK to me

</div></div>

I would shoot a string or two with it on the 600 yard line but anything beyond that will just be throwing dollars downrange.

BTW my father had two of those rifles w/consecutive serial numbers. When the AWB passed he sold them for peanuts rather than register them
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/12 with good velocity will stablize a 175 smk. Optimal twist rate is 11.25 for the 175s.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/12...is sketchy for 175 grain bullets.</div></div>

How so?

</div></div> </div></div>

Agreed, you'll lack some long range accuracy (past 600yds) but for most shooters it won't matter. The gun/scope combination is limited to the shooter really; still, bullet under stabilization will become apparent past around 600yards.
smile.gif

FWIW;

I didn't see any accuracy advantage using match ammo out of my FAL over ball. Your's may be different.

Like others said, mine sees to like the 150 weight bullets best.

I'll see what happens.....Thanks!

Get your head space checked or check it yourself before running any hot thin walled .308. Should be fine though.

Out of a dozen or so I've never been able to beat good surplus 7.62, with 144 gr 7.62 Aussie F4 Ball generally shooting good (2 MOA +/-) in anything will good HS and a tight upper to lower fit and a not-worn-out barrel. The older 80s era South African was very good in several FALs as well.

155 SMK Palma reloads absolutely sucked and some tries with 168 gr stuff was not too good either. I got close to Aussie F4 Ball accuracy with 150 gr Hornady FMJ reloads loaded to Aussie velocity (~2,650 fps).

These are battle rifles and not well suited to long range precision. Even the Aussie gets squirley past 600 Meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep recalling the "Top Tens" Service Rifle programming segment from the Military Channel which contends that the FAL was developed for 'an intermediate cartridge' (whatever that may be), then re-engineered for the then-new 7.62x51 NATO round. They further contend that the new cartridge 'about maxed out the design' in terms of energy management capability.</div></div>

Any high-quality receiver (DSA, Imbel, or similar) will far outlast most shooters - especially in the stronger Type II or III configurations (recall that the Type I was improved upon after it failed after "only" 40,000 rounds or so of full-auto fire. So I wouldn't exactly be concerned with the FAL's robustness.

What is of real concern regarding FAL accuracy is the woefully inconsistent bolt lock-up. The combination of tilting bolt and rear-mounted locking lug makes it very difficult to achieve good shot-to-shot consistency, regardless of the ammo that is used.