• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon 5.5-25x56 Menace owners question

Romeyo

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Austria
Hi folks!

I'm currently having a hard time deciding which Falcon scope to get.
The Review here says the image of the 5.5-25x56 was a little "milkly" compared to previous models what scared me a little.
Is this only at higher magnification values (~18 and up) or a general issue?
Might that also be only because the scope that has been reviewed was a preproduction model?

The 5.5-25x56 would perfectly meet my requirements, however, if image quality is not as good as on other Falcon scopes I would likely go with the Menace 4-18x56 IR even though it's no FFP design.

Thanks in advance.

Romeyo

Re: Falcon 5.5-25x56 Menace owners question

IME, when you spend less than a grand for a scope, anything above 14X or so is not gonna be great. The next question is why 25X? Mirage will be a big factor. On the cheap end I have a TruGlo 6-24AO on my 22rf. Nice up to 14X, after that resolution slips.
In the middle is Nikon Monarch 6-24 crisp but darkens a bit over 20X (not a problem here in clear air @ 7-10,000') at the top is 4-16 Schmidt & Bender Varmint which is so good, it's hard to believe it was not made by space aliens.
You did not spec. your application but I'd look at the Bushnell 6500s too.

Yeah, I know I can't expect "rocket science grade" images from a 500$ scope, however, in the review it sounded like the 5.5-25x56 would be a little milklyer overall. If the image would be as good as on any other falcon scope at (lets say) a magnification of 10x and only gets milkly at higher valuesthere would have been no worrying at all.
It just sounded like the 5.5-25's glass would be not as good as on other falcons, but I might misunderstood that and it's only due high magnification.

I was looking for a "tactical" scope for my .22 rifle for gaining long range experience at much lower costs and without the need of very long shooting ranges.

The most cruicial feature was to have MIL turrets (an reticule), thats why I have been advised on Falcon scopes.
Besides that, I was looking for a scope I would be capable of shooting and plinking with my .22 out to 300yards, even in low light conditions.

It has been discussed in the Falcon 5.5-25x56's Review thread, you should get an even better idea what I was looking for when reading the last few posts there: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1241310#Post1241310

Romeyo

Thanks, I read the posts. IMO the guy who had it right was Bob. A good mil dot FIXED 10X will be a much better scope for the same $ than any variable. In my "ute" I shot a ton of chucks with a 722 222 Remington with a Weaver K10 out to 250 yards. 10Xs today are a lot better than 1960 so unless you plan to shoot asprin, a 10X will serve you well, be lighter and have a lot less to go wrong.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-10x40-Elite-3200-Rifle-Scope-P242.aspx

Yeah...that seems to be not a bad idea either. Maybe I'll get 2 scopes and sell the one I need/like less.

The Bushnell Elite unfortunately doesn't meet my requirements since I was looking for a scope with MIL-turrets and reticle.
Thanks anyway!

Romeyo

He's talking about turret adjustments graduated in mils rather then fractional moa's.

I don't think the 5.5-25x56 falcon will disappoint you. I have not experienced significant mirage and I really didn't notice the difference in clarity some have mentioned. Mine is however a pre-production model, and my comparison is to the 3.5-18x56 falcon I had before this one. So your results may vary.

If you are concerned about it, why not get a 4-14x44 mil/mil falcon?

A 56mm objective is silly unless you live in Europe and hunt at night. And on a 22RF.... make a nice carrying handle.

As to all the whoop-de-do about mils vs inches, I notice S&B makes them both ways. If you can't learn two things well, maybe you should not be armed at all. (Of course the panic induced by a charging gopher might make you forget what you had on the rifle)

IME the bottom for a 6-20/24 variable is a Monarch or a Leupold.

If you want to try an inexpensive 6-24 Mil Dot, send me $100 and I'll send you this ANNB Tru-Glo that sits on my TC 22RF semi-auto. It works fine up to 16X, then gets a bit milky, but the reticle stays as sharp as a razor. The AO and adjustments on spot on. It's just too big. You buy it and I can then get the 3200 10X.

DSCN2822.jpg

Mr Humble wrote.
"There are a lot of riflescopes and then there are Schmidt & Benders. Ask the Marines."

The Marines who chose S&B also chose to switch to MIL/MIL as well. Its the fact that having your turrets and reticle match is far less complicated then mixing them up. This is a Tactical shooting forum not a hunting one.

I guess the guys over at Cheytac that run alot of 56mm NF scopes dont have a clue either making hits at 2500 plus yards. Its fine that you have your opinions but I assure you they are not universally applicable.

That's because NATO lives in a metric world. Does that mean we all have to? We sure killed a lot of Krauts, Japs, PRNKs. VC & NVA and other bad guys with scopes that worked in INCHES.
Most "tactical" killing is done at ranges that a fixed 6X with a duplex would work just fine.

The whole "Tactical" thing is getting to be about who can spend the most money on the heaviest rifle with the biggest scope.
As with hunters, probably 25% of the people who spend all this money can actually use the capability of the equipment.

Kinda like owning a Ford GT 40 and living in Boston.

What does a MIL have to do with metric ?? Also most scopes are MOA based not inches unless they are shooter moa. As far as a 6x duplex ranges the guys in A-stan may dispute that. You obviously have alot of dated knowledge but things change and advance it would be foolish not to use that to our advantage.
We would have killed alot more of the above with Gen4 NVGs,Preditor drones and AC130 gunships.
I will agree most people cannot fully utilize their equipment but I suspect those on this forum have a higher percentage then most.

Don't listen to humble, he's been hitting the peyote again. If you think any of the Falcon lineup will get the job done for you, then do it. If you don't, you will have no trouble unloading it on the classified board here or on sniper central.

Hey folks!

Well, I did't want to break loose a MIL vs. MOA discussion. I now both systems an non of them has anything to do neither with the metric system nor the imperial.
It just happened that 1MOA is aproxximately 1" at 100yards what makes using MOA for people used to imperial system much easier.
You can also adopt the MIL system to yards/inches. 1MIL euqals to 1" @ 1000",1foot @ 1000feet, 1 yard @ 1000yard, and so on.
The only thing I do not like about the imperial system is that in the metric system everything is based at ten. Everything is decimal. 1km = 1000m / 1M = 100cm / 1cm = 10mm and so on. So when using / swithching within different metrical units the only thing to to is to slide the comma.
When using inches/feet/yard/... you have to know the exact conversion factors to be precise what causes much more calculation effort and increases potential of errors.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to blame anybody. I now both systems and decidet for myself I want a MIL based scope since it makes using the metrical system quite easily.

I'm non of those europeans that are hating inches just because it's american, you know? I try to judge things on their practicability, giving a damn about who has invented it.
If I'd really don't like american things and attitudes, why would I register in an american forum? Why would I buy american products? Why would I love guns and why would I speak american english instead of british as far as possible?

So, peace guys!

Back to topic;
I want that 56mm objective to be able to shoot in low light conditions and thick forest too.

@bcw1284: thaks, your post helped me forget my scepticism...

With a quality scope, you don't NEED any bigger objective than 40mm to shoot during legal shooting hours in the USA. I can't think of a worse scope for "thick forests" than a 6-24x56 of any make. IMO you are trying to cover far to much ground with one scope.
A 1-4 Trijicon with the BIG glowing post is my thick woods scope on a Merkel SR-1 in 9.3x62.
For very open country and Varmints 4-16 Schmidt, 6.5-20 Loopie and 6-24 Nikon go on the 22-06, 244 H&H and 300 Weatherby.
For in between 3-9 Zeiss, 3-9 loopies, 6X loopie go on the 25-06, 6.5x55, 270 and 300 H&H (highwall)
For "crushers" a 1-4 loopie on both the 400 H&H and (modern highwall) 40-82 (400 Whelen ballistics)and a 2.5X loopie Alaskan on the 400 Whelen.

For you original application, still hard to beat that 10X bushie regardless of all the mil-dot whoopdedo.

99% of guides and outfitters will tell you the average client has too much gun and too much scope, is scared of the former and the latter is too complex to use.

How do you define quality? I know that a 40mm Zeiss would likely outperform a 56mm Falcon, but I really don't want to spend that much money. I set myself a limit of 500$.
Originally I wanted a FFP 4-14x44 Falcon until I saw there is a "bigger" Falcon FFP too. So I thought why not gettingt he bigger one? That half inch more objectiv diameter would likely help in low light condotions (cloudy, dawn) and that 25x magnification might get handy when spotting hits at paper out to 100y.
But since I don't plan on shooting high-contrast paper targets all the time, the scopes magnification and light transmission wouln't be that annoying when shooting cans and stuff out to 300y.
I don't think that beeing "overscoped" most of the time would be an issue. I'm no military sniper, I don't care of those extra weight and space.

And maybe there are better scopes than Falcons in that price range, but hardly any of them got MIL Turrets. If I wouldn't want MIL turrents there would be no reason for buying a new scope since my current one also does the job pretty well.

Regards,
Romeyo

the falcon 5.5-25x56 scopes? I know a retailer in UK that seem to have them in stock, if this is what you wanted to know...

What you don't seem to GET is that there is a trade off in clarity and light transmission when you get a cheap scope.
You could have a 100mm objective with 50X power and it would still be a piece of crap for $500.
You buy whatever you want, I am out of time on this subject. in parting I will give you one piece of advice......
The guy who spends twice as much on the scope as the rifle is the smart guy.

I.E. $2000 scope, $900 rifle, 1/2 MOA all day

tikka22250.jpg

22250group.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you don't seem to GET is that there is a trade off in clarity and light transmission when you get a cheap scope.
You could have a 100mm objective with 50X power and it would still be a piece of crap for $500.</div></div>

How the hell can you make a blanket statement like that unless you actually own one of them? You're so full of shit it isn't even funny. I can tell you the glass in the pre-production falcon I have sitting right here next to me is every bit as nice as any leupy, and IMHO, better. Just because I didn't pay an extra $500+ for some brand name does not make it inferior. I've had a leupy, I really was dissappointed and no longer own any for that reason. Honestly, I thought it sucked for the price.

I've been looking hard at some nightforce scopes at local dealers. I do intend to buy one for my win mag build, I like them alot. I'd put the glass on par with the falcon, no shit. The mechanicals are probably far superior, but the glass is not, at least not by much. I would also say the falcon glass is FAR superior to the glass in my Horus Hawk, which the MFG says is almost $600 worth of scope. In the same field, on the same rifle, the falcon beat the shit out of it for clarity.

We are talking about some EXCELLENT glass here, at least in the pre production model I have. I doubt it has changed, but I have heard reports of "milky"... I have not experienced this. Also dont forget that things at falcon have changed and the new turets are far superior to the older ones. Still not as nice as the NF scopes or things above it in price range, but HERE is where that $500 tag comes into play. Falcon's shortcommings are in the body of the scope NOT in the glass.

Humble, until you have tried things, don't go around flapping your trap about them. Every scope is different, regardless of price. Barskas are under $500 too, but don't let that cloud your judgement about other scopes.

Is the falcon equivalent to a S&B or a Zeiss? hell no. But it's not $3k either. If you expect it to live up to that, you're foolhardy. If you don't need that level of performance, then there is no reason to rule out an item simply because of it's price tag. That's the same methodology as making snap judgements about someone because of their race or nationality. All zorgs are wizzits, but all wizzits are not necessarily zorgs.

Features, quality, and performance are king. Like I said, the falcon won't disappoint, and if it did, you'd have no trouble dropping it on the classifieds. It is MOST important to consider your intended role:

Are you dragging it through IRAQ? no, so you dont need UBER.
Hunting in timber? maybe the 4-14 is a better choice.
Hunting or shooting in low-light? the 56mm is a safe bet.
Big game hunting on a long hike? go with something lighter.
Popping rodents and want high mag? the falcon is for you.
Paper @ 100yds? anything will do.
Eliminating the need for a spotting scope at close-mid range? Big magnification FTW.

ask yourself the when, where, why, how far do I have to lug it, am I going to beat it to death questions. Personally, I think the falcon would make a decent club, like a USO, because it is one HEAVY sum bitch.

Can we see some pics through the scope at longer distance on 25x?

I'll take some next time i'm at the range. it's hard to get the camera just right, but i'll try. Pics don't usually accurately reflect a scope, but it's still a ballpark idea.

LOL, that's a +10. You know what it will look like because if anyone could build a high quality scope in that magnification range with that big an objective at that price, EVERYBODY would.
To even suggest that some unique secret exists in the UK using Jap glass that nobody else can do is a howl. Have you checked labor costs and labor productivity in the UK recently? They make GM look efficient.
There are no "secrets" anymore in making good optics. It's material, machinery, engineering and assembly QUALITY.
You will also note the Brits are NOT using it or any UK made Falcon scope on their L115A3 sniper rifle. If it's God's gift to the world wonder why they (as we) went with Schmidt & Bender???
I'm sure it's a decent $500 scope but you a'int gonna see any in the Sand Box or in the winner's circle at any major match.
So buy whatever you want but it will NEVER be as good as a $500 fixed power scope.
Gump said it so well!
This is quality and I am done debating reality vs totally untested, unsupported wishes hatched after reading some ad.
Take it over to Optics Talk and get some real experts to do a side by side with a fixed 10 Super Sniper.
sb4-16x50ph.jpg

I never suggested there is any secret to it. I'm saying there is always exceptions to the rule.

Nor did I suggest this scope was of military quality, did you even read what I wrote? try again. You must have selective reading skills. Do try to pay attention.

I love how you have been disputed, so now you change to fixed powers in the same price range. That was never in contest. The whole point is that regardless of whatever vendetta you have against sub $2k optics, The falcon is better than or equal to similarly priced units, and even SOME (not all) more expensive models. Zeiss has some models along these same lines... a $700-$800 conquest that has glass like a far more expensive IOR.

I don't know how much more dense you could possibly be. WTF is "totally untested, unsupported wishes hatched after reading some ad" supposed to mean? I just told you that I have one and use it. Nobody read any ads at all, moron. I was approached by a falcon dealer to test this out, I physically own it and use it. For the price, it kicks the shit out of other sub $500-600 optics. I have used some of them, I'm not making it up. THAT IS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT. Nobody said it was as nice as an S&B, it isn't. Try to keep up here, Humble.

I swear, how do you even remember to keep breathing?

Well put Brad W.

I'm glad you regulated on this subject and gave a honest opinion. It's nice to hear someone who has actually used one many times instead of people who just presume it's no good because it's a midrange scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you don't seem to GET is that there is a trade off in clarity and light transmission when you get a cheap scope.
You could have a 100mm objective with 50X power and it would still be a piece of crap for $500. </div></div>

Of course I know that, but what you don't seem to GET is that I don't want the very best scope for 500$ when it comes to pure optical performance. I want one that meets my requirements, and part of those requirements are MIL turrents, magnification range, high light transmission and MIL-scaled reticle.
I'm a student, thats why I'm very limited on euiqpment's high-quality. Thats the reason why I shoot the .22lr and not 6,5x47Lapua or .308Rem.

I found out that Falcon makes some very nice, affordable scopes which features are exactly what I was looking for.
However, I read that the pre-production 5.5-25x56 was somehow milkier than previeous falcon scopes, and everything I wanted to know is if current models are also somehow milkly, or if that milklyness is a normal effect simply due the higher magnification values. (Every zoom scope gets somehow milkier when increasing magnification)

@bcw1284: Thanks again. You told me what I wanted to hear.

Peace guys!

Regards
Romeyo

Edit: By the way, does anybody know when falcon's home page will be back on line or if there is any site that carries info on all their models and those specs?

you won't be disappointed with either of the mil/mil falcons. I'm a student also, so I know exactly where you are coming from, spare money is a luxury we don't often have. I could sell my soul and still not be able to afford a S&B, lol.

Good luck!

Well Gents, mine just arrived via ups. I bought the 50 version and it looks like a nice piece. I'm new to the scope game so I might be able to answer a couple questions but you might have to explain what you want to know.

When the fuck are the rest of us going to hear something about these scopes? I should have just not been such a cheap bitch and bought a Nightforce, have the money just was going to trya different route. Sorry to say it just sick of waiting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Gents, mine just arrived via ups. I bought the 50 version and it looks like a nice piece. I'm new to the scope game so I might be able to answer a couple questions but you might have to explain what you want to know. </div></div>

who did you order yours through?

CJG

jerrad could you measure max elevation and windage track and make a photo of reticule on max zoom against white background?

50mm version is what I am thinking about

Its not the persons fault that I ordered it through, I would like to choke out those across the pond that are being jag bags. I must just have a bad attitude this week, Sorry for the bitch.

I can take a pic but my camera cost about $100 so I doubt it will turn out good.

So what is your impression of the production version of scope -
optical quality, etc.?

It's the nicest scope I've ever personnely handled. That's not saying alot but from the look/feel it seems like a nice piece.

The turrets feel a little spongy. I rotated them in and out and after a few cycles they felt a little better.

Just looking out the window the glass looks clear. I was looking down the street and could see object clearly. The reticle was hard to see at times but I think this is my problem and not the scopes. I noticed if I moved my eye around I could see the reticle more clearly. The eye relief is a small issue but I still haven't mounted it to my rifle yet so I think me holding it with my hand is alot of the problem.

The lens caps aren't really worth anything IMO. When I tried to open them they would pull half way off so I'd suggest getting something else that is more fitting.