• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace 4-14 or Leupuld VX-R Patro 3-9l

5280EM!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Denver, CO
Please help me decide which scope to purchase. The Falcon has higher magnification and is a lot cheaper than the Leupold. I've have not looked through the glass of either so I can't assist clarity. Both are mil mil.

Other suggestions are welcomed. Looking at spending $350-$550 on glass.

Re: Falcon Menace 4-14 or Leupuld VX-R Patro 3-9l

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One is a quality scope, the other is made in China. </div></div>
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In your price range also consider SWFA SS 3-9 (keep your eyes open on the Samples List page) and the Vortex Viper HS 5-15 (at MidwayUSA).

Unless I am mistaken, the Leupold has .5 moa adjustments.

That, to me, makes it a non-starter.
If the reticle was moa based, it would be fine, but I am not a fan of mis-matched reticle/adjustments.

Other than that, the scope appears to be very well designed.

Burris MTAC series has something in your price range, though it is an AO and not side focus.

The Falcon is really a decent scope and you still can not get into FFP mil/mil at a better price point.
They have very good reticles, a new limited lifetime warranty and illumination on the 4-14 model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless I am mistaken, the Leupold has .5 moa adjustments.</div></div>

Luckily, you are mistaken. The patrol has 1/10th mil turrets (6 mils/rev). This is a great scope. I keep one in the patrol bag for my patrol rifle in an ADM mount. The reticle is SFP and a little thick - which is exactly what I want for this application. Don't know if you can see the markings on the turret in this pic.

IMG_1812.jpg

2012-06-04153521.jpg

Dot isn't on here, and scope isn't attached to the rifle, so if you're prone to bleeding heart over-reaction, save it.

For an SPR-ish type rifle, this thing is perfect for my needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless I am mistaken, the Leupold has .5 moa adjustments.</div></div>

Luckily, you are mistaken. The patrol has 1/10th mil turrets (6 mils/rev). This is a great scope. I keep one in the patrol bag for my patrol rifle in an ADM mount. The reticle is SFP and a little thick - which is exactly what I want for this application. Don't know if you can see the markings on the turret in this pic.

Dot isn't on here, and scope isn't attached to the rifle, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">so if you're prone to bleeding heart over-reaction, save it.</span> </span>

For an SPR-ish type rifle, this thing is perfect for my needs. </div></div>

It took me a second to figure out wtf you were talking about.
It appears to be a cat, so real men don't care.

As far as the adjustments go, I did not realize that the VX R AR series had different adjustments than the AR patrol series, this is good to know as it makes an attractive choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It appears to be a cat, so real men don't care.</div></div>

Yes it is, I agree, and some people REALLY don't share that view. Or so I have been told.

After owning the vxr for awhile I would say it's a good scope for a hunting or 1.5MOA on a good day type of rifle. Reticule is too thick for accurate shooting imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It appears to be a cat, so real men don't care.
</div></div>

I took a through-the-scope pic once that accidentally included my neighbor watering his bushes. All the safety nazis came out of the woodwork about that one. Nevermind that the scope was on a tripo I was still an asshole lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After owning the vxr for awhile I would say it's a good scope for a hunting or 1.5MOA on a good day type of rifle. Reticule is too thick for accurate shooting imo.
</div></div>

Agreed. I also have the BSA twin of the Falcon (MidwayUSA exclusive), and like the reticle much more than the one on my VX-R Patrol. One of my favorite reticles is the MP-8 on my IOR 2.5-10... at the same magnification, I can be much more precise with it than with the VX-R Patrol. But that's a different ballpark price-wise.