• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace 4-14x FFP Copy by Famous Maker Pics

MAX100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2008
SC
I know some of you SH members love your Falcon scopes, so I thought you would like to see this. It's a very close copy of the Falcon 4-14x FFP scope. Only it has a Mildot reticle and 1/4" click turrets but it's half the price, about $150 bucks.

Some pictures of the Famous Maker copy of the Falcon 4-14x44 FFP scope.

The link with more info on this scope:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2905188#post2905188

FM_scope_on_Savage_10FP_top.jpg

The reticle on 4x
FM_Optics_4-14_4X.jpg

The reticle on 14x
FM_Optics_4-14_14X.jpg

It might be an option for someone looking for a very low cost FFP scope with very good glass.

Don't shoot the messenger!

GC

Re: Falcon Menace 4-14x FFP Copy by Famous Maker Pics

Wow, just when you thought a shitty cheap scope couldn't get any cheaper...

Re: Falcon Menace 4-14x FFP Copy by Famous Maker P

The same optics manufacture in China that assembles the Falcon Menace scopes probably made this scope for Famous Maker.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The same optics manufacture in China that assembles the Falcon Menace scopes probably made this scope for Famous Maker.

GC </div></div>

Except Falcons are assembled in England if I'm not mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The same optics manufacture in China that assembles the Falcon Menace scopes probably made this scope for Famous Maker.

GC </div></div>

Whoa there, I thought Falcon scopes were assembled in the U.K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa there, I thought Falcon scopes were assembled in the U.K.</div></div>

What optics manufacture in the UK would that be?

I don't have any inside info but they show all the signs of being assembled in China.

GC

Wow, they couldnt find a better scope to copy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa there, I thought Falcon scopes were assembled in the U.K.</div></div>

What optics manufacture in the UK would that be?

I don't have any inside info but they show all the signs of being assembled in China.

GC </div></div>

Max your info is inaccurate they are assembled in the UK with asian parts.I think you will find a less then cheery response to posting theft of another companies designs here. There may be places its excepted just not here.I'm not busting your balls just giving you a heads up.

If you want to know where Falcon Optics scopes are sourced/ assembled, I suggest you ask them. That's what I did.

But who want's a copy of an already reasonably priced optic that performs well for it's cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Max your info is inaccurate they are assembled in the UK with Asian parts.I think you will find a less then cheery response to posting theft of another companies designs here. There may be places its excepted just not here.I'm not busting your balls just giving you a heads up.</div></div>

If they are assembled in the UK what optics manufacturing facility in the UK are they assembled at? Optics can't be assembled just anywhere. You need a special facility, equipment and trained employees to assemble optics. You need a climate controlled clean room to keep down dust particles during assembly, trained QC staff and so on. Optic assembly is outsourced to China, Philippines and S Korea because they already have a optics manufacturing facility, trained employees and low cost labor. It seems highly unlikely that the Falcon scopes could be assembled in the UK and have a retail price of about $325 local UK.

GC

GC </div></div>

This first statement (above) sure makes it seem like you know, but then later you go on to say you really don't know. My favorite however is the audacity in which you question the integrity of Falcon Optics, Mel @ Snipers Central, and Robert @ RW Snyder by suggesting they are misleading their customers.

Are you really just the messenger, or is this something else?

And if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a little red-assed over your comments. I'm a big fan of Falcon Optics. If you are going to tear down my whole belief system, at least offer me some fucking substantiation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if you can't tell already, I'm a little red-assed about your comments. I'm a big fan of Falcon Optics. If you are going to tear down my whole belief system, at least offer me some substantiation.
</div></div>

Sorry but if you are fan, you should be asking the same question I am. If you don't want to know then that means you don't care. If you don't care then why are getting upset.

GC

What part of my thread suggests I don't care? Nice deflection though.

Frankly, the only thing I question is why I am supposed to respect your self-proclaimed expertise on the international manufacture of optics? How is it that you are more qualified to speak to the situation than the folks who market and sell them? The same people of whom I've already asked these questions.

And by the way, I happen to know a little outfit out in Brea, California that does a pretty good job assembling optics. I find it harder to believe that you would dismiss the idea that a similar operation in the U.K. doesn't exist. Granted John and company don't use Asian components, but if they did (NEVER!) the cost structure would be much more conservative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find it harder to believe that you would dismiss the idea that a similar operation in the U.K. doesn't exist.</div></div>

What's the big deal why don't anyone provide a name or an address. Do the Falcon scopes have a "Made in" label?

GC

Interesting.. But even more interesting is the fact that Falcon's webpage has been down for close to or over 2 fucking months now. Absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.. That alone makes me consider not buying one of their scopes.

Have you ever considering contacting them yourself? Their website is down right now, but normally provides all the contact information you would need. Or try their CS directly;

Nick Watts, [email protected]

I stand by Mel's review;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . the lenses are sourced from Japan and are made to a specified Falcon standard. The big difference is that this standard has been upgraded for the Menace, which now has 92% light transmission vs. the 88% or so for the Merlin. The lenses are all truly multi coated front and back. Like the Merlin, the tube and the majority of the assembly are sourced from China and final assembly and quality control happen at Falcon Optics in the United Kingdom.</div></div>

http://www.snipercentral.com/menace.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the tube and the majority of the assembly are sourced from China</div></div>

To me it sounds like Mel is saying pretty much saying the same thing I am. The majority of the assembly is done in China in a optics manufacturing facility. They should have a Made in China label.

They are probably assembled by the same manufacture that makes the Famous Maker scope that's why they look almost identical.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh for fuck's sake . . . I give up. </div></div>

Awwww, dont do that! I was just heating up the popcorn!

So they've basically taken a Falcon and reduced it to the quality level of a Leupold...

whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So they've basically taken a Falcon and reduced it to the quality level of a Leupold...

whistle.gif
</div></div>

Now that's funny (because I don't own any <span style="text-decoration: line-through">VXIII</span> er, MK4 variables).

MAX100-
Major assemblies made in China, assembled in UK-or can't you read. Mel's comments are not what you stated.

Why does Leupold say "Made in USA", cause their assemblies sure aren't manufactured stateside. They may be assembled here, but the assemblies-ie tubes, bits and pieces, etc are outsourced beyond our borders.

If John at USO outsourced parts, maybe the guys could afford footwear other than flipflops in the "clean rooms"-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Major assemblies made in China, assembled in UK-or can't you read.</div></div>

The majority of the assembly are sourced from China. Not assemblies, can't you read.

You can believe what you want to believe and same here.

This is getting redundant.

The Famous Maker copy looks well made. I might have to try one out.

GC

I had the opportunity to get behind a Famous Maker scope at the range a little while back while I was helping a guy sight in his rifle. The reticle looked like it was bleeding out of it's intended design. What I mean by that is there were numerous little lines perpendicular to the reticle lines almost like when you use a gel ink pen on construction paper and it is saturating the paper and bleeding out. That is the best way I can think of this morning to describe it. Definitely looked like an etching job gone bad.

Other than that though the clarity of the glass and adjustments were rivaling a Barska for quality (sarcasm).

All this nit-picking over sub-assemblies and final assembly and exactly where the manufacturing of component parts takes place.

Just get yourselves new bowls of corn flakes, everyone!

The "made in _____" rules are a bit flexible when parts (including sub-assemblies) are put together in the nation where they are sold. Witness the clever ways to circumvent the GCA '68 rules regarding "non-sporting" handguns which Interarms (or whoever) was able to sanitize by importing certain PARTS and putting them on a US-made frame.

If "Famous Maker" (which name I decided was too close for comfort to mail and wire fraud when I first ran into it several years ago) is having ChiCom-made imitation parts made to imitate the Japanese (mostly? all?) made components of a Falcon, it's their privilege to compete that way. I don't recall seeing any patent notices on *any* scopes lately, and getting a trademark on the physical appearance of an item, or other fishy stuff like Colt's claim to the "M4 Carbine", is all problematical.

*If* there are any trade secrets or proprietary information involved, then Falcon can legitimately object. Absent that, anyone can make a knock-off so long as they don't steal the name like those immoral bastiches who made all those Leupolds or whatever. But of course, I cannot complain because all cultures are of equal value...

How many people who will drop $150 or so on a "Famous Maker" scope really would have bought a Falcon Menace? Not many, I'll say. This market is highly price-stratified.

I have a Falcon, and I am a huge Falcon fan. I realize I have a scope with glass sourced through Japan and mostly all other components through China. Not sure if final assembly in UK is b/c they want a hand in on quality control or if is just a step to get around a "Made in China" stamp. Its the same with many other brands. Its the same with many other scopes, what is now JOL (Japan Optics Limited), the companies they own and afflities provide parts or completely finished scopes assembled in Japan, China, Phillipies with parts sources from same countries (and I think a lot of tubes are Russian). Same thing as if a buy a Vortex, Burris, Nikon, Super Sniper, Mueller, Millet, etc, and same place other higher end domestic places get most of their parts.

Famous Maker is not a scope producer, you can't really say one FM sucks, that means this one does also b/c no telling what the source of each scope is. Its likely the same basic design, tube and knobs as the Falcon, but that doesn't really say anything about the rest of the scope. I think the Waranty on this sucks if I remember recorectly (I looked them up a couple months ago when they appeared to look the same), and you are almost to the cost of a Bushnell 10x Tactical with lifetime waranty. May or maynot be a good deal. I had thought about it for a second but its a unknown and with a dealer account at Grafs I could get the Bushnell tactical, or setup to a Mueller TacII or Millett for only a little more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryan S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Falcon, and I am a huge Falcon fan. I realize I have a scope with glass sourced through Japan and mostly all other components through China. Not sure if final assembly in UK is b/c they want a hand in on quality control or if is just a step to get around a "Made in China" stamp. Its the same with many other brands. Its the same with many other scopes, what is now JOL (Japan Optics Limited), the companies they own and affiliates provide parts or completely finished scopes assembled in Japan, China, Philippines with parts sources from same countries (and I think a lot of tubes are Russian). Same thing as if a buy a Vortex, Burris, Nikon, Super Sniper, Mueller, Millet, etc, and same place other higher end domestic places get most of their parts.

Famous Maker is not a scope producer, you can't really say one FM sucks, that means this one does also b/c no telling what the source of each scope is. Its likely the same basic design, tube and knobs as the Falcon, but that doesn't really say anything about the rest of the scope. I think the Warranty on this sucks if I remember correctly (I looked them up a couple months ago when they appeared to look the same), and you are almost to the cost of a Bushnell 10x Tactical with lifetime warranty. May or may not be a good deal. I had thought about it for a second but its a unknown and with a dealer account at Graf & Sons I could get the Bushnell tactical, or setup to a Mueller TacII or Millett for only a little more. </div></div>

Pretty well said!

If the Famous Maker 4-14x44 FFP is a decent scope it's a heck of a deal for anyone looking to get into precision shooting on the cheap. It is the lowest cost FFP plain scope on the market. It's worth looking into and evaluated.

GC

I think the Falcon Menace comes out of the exact same door as the Famous Maker. If the Falcon Menace is actually assembled in the UK then they'll have no problems showing some pictures of the facility. The whole story just smacks as a cover for passing Chinese garbage off as European...to gullible Americans.

This could be a way for china to get rid of the parts that did not meet spec for Falcon. It may also be why the conterfit MK4's look so much like the real deal.

Just a thought...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This could be a way for china to get rid of the parts that did not meet spec for Falcon. It may also be why the conterfit MK4's look so much like the real deal.

Just a thought... </div></div>

Only problem with that is the fake Leupolds are marked Leupold, these are not being marketed as Falcons, they are being sold under another brand name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This could be a way for china to get rid of the parts that did not meet spec for Falcon.</div></div>

I believe they are made by the same manufacture in China that assembles the the Falcon scopes using basically the same parts. The QC on the Falcons is probably a little better because they are inspected in the UK before they are shipped out.

If it's not true someone provide the name and address of the optics manufacturing Facility in the UK that does the assembly.

GC

Shareing some parts doesn necessary mean sharing all parts, internals can be completely different. One of the more concerning things if you look at the other scopes in the same Famous Maker line as this one is they also have a 4-16 scope that is more expensive than this Menace-type, its knobs and body (except the bell) look exactly like the Walmart Center Point 4-16 and Leapers 5th Gen scopes ($70-80 scopes). Also in the same line for another $75 more than the Menace-like one they have a 10-40x50 scope that looks exactly like a Barska Swat. So maybe they have similar lower-mid level glass that makes their "Falcon" copy cheaper and "Leapers" copy more expensive.

Copying and using other companies trade marks without their approval and infringing patents is illegal and wrong. Making and/or selling similar products under other trade names is normal in a market economy.

Cheaper copies often are of lesser quality than the real thing. Especially in optics there are no free lunches.

Maybe the FM scope & the Falcon Menace cost about the same to manufacture but Falcon Optics has a higher markup. The Falcon scopes were selling for under $300 retail in the UK. That's not to far off from the highest retail price of $200 the Famous Maker scope is selling for in the US.

Some think they have a prized scope in the Falcon Menace but any way you look at it the FM & Falcon are both cheap low cost entry level tactical scopes.

It's just a scope don't lose your hair over it.

GC

The parts may be made in the same factory. I would be the assembly and QC are different.

Falcon Optics has a name to protect. Famous Maker does not. They have already aligned themselves with cheap crap.

Falcon has worked hard to bring a quality entry level scope to market. Famous Maker just copied it.

Who deserves your money? That's a decision for you to make. I have no problem putting cheap scopes on rifles that don't need quality glass. My Savage MkII has a Center Point scope on it. I do have a problem with blatantly copying another companies design and thus I refuse to give them money or promote their copy.

Barska has now released a bunch of FFP scopes. Looks like the market will be flooded with cheap FFPs soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who deserves your money?</div></div>

Neither in my opinion. Falcon hasn't been straightforward with where their scopes are really manufactured. Had they been, they probably wouldn't be quite as popular as they are now and the retail price would be lower.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barska has now released a bunch of FFP scopes. Looks like the market will be flooded with cheap FFPs soon. </div></div>

They appear to only offer MOA turrets on them... useless. Falcon is still the cheapest option if you don't want a mismatched setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Neither in my opinion. Falcon hasn't been straightforward with where their scopes are really manufactured. Had they been, they probably wouldn't be quite as popular as they are now and the retail price would be lower.

GC </div></div>

How can you possibily come to this conclusion given the common knowledge that Falcon starts with a Chinese assembly and Japanese glass, and finishes the job over in the U.K.?

Please explain how Falcon not been straighforward? Their scopes certainly don't say "Made in U.K.", so to what deception are you referring?

For christ's sake man, you've gone from your unfounded "secret squirrel" theory about manufacturing plants to convincing yourself that it is a deliberate attempt to fool the consumer.

max, why is it that you insist Falcon is lying to you? what agenda are you serving? If you want to be a troll, go play on arfcom, we don't need your shit here.

As far as famous maker and leupold clones go, WTF did you think would happen to all the rejected units? Bad etching, out of spec parts, poor quality mechanisms, etc. The Chinese are not stupid, they will use them to make a buck. They don't care if they have to lie, cheat, or steal trademarks/reputation/appearance. Sirry asians.

Just because it looks like a falcon, doesn't mean it is, even if its made on the same tooling. How hard is it to assemble something if you make all the metal parts? easy, just make the tools. Find some cheap tasco-level chicom glass and slap it in. Bingo. a fake falcon.

Why copy the falcons? because they are popular and in demand, same with leupolds. With or without the company name on it, IMHO its still not right. But the chinese don't care, they have no loyalty to a customer.

Countersniper lies about government contracts, and impinges on the way mk4 leupolds look. Does that mean they are really leupold incognito? NO.

Personally, I do like my falcon. I think its a great value for the price. I won't buy a cheap copy, and nor would I buy falcons if they cost what mk4's cost for the same imported crap. I don't buy leupolds because at 1k, they are a rip off, and the glass sucks anyway. Japanese or not, at least the real falcons have nice glass.

Personally, I prefer the Ziess line, and the higher end stuff, but we can't always afford those, and nor does my gopher slayer need a $3k swarovski on it. If I was going to be putting lives on the line, i'd probably buy a USO or a premier or something.

I'd rather pay $300-500 for a reliable scope I can hunt with and target shoot, than one that will fall apart on my BB gun. I've had some barska shit on .22LR's long ago, and even then it doesn't last forever. Don't buy cheaper than dirt style knockoffs. Even if you did get a good one, you're still encouraging a foreign enterprise to prey upon legitimate companies around the globe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why is it that you insist Falcon is lying to you? what agenda are you serving? </div></div>

I didn't say they are lying those are your words.

I'm not the only one saying they aren't being straightforward and there are others thinking the same thing. Go back and read the post above. You have a right to disagree but don't call me a Troll.

I like my Sightron SIII but I could careless if someone made a close copy of it. I might consider buying one if it was well done.

It's just a scope.

GC

You never answered my question.

Please explain how Falcon is not being straightforward?

MAX100, why do you give a fuck? really! who gives a shit if Falcon is being straightforward or not? if you dont like the way they are doing buisiness, dont buy their product! but more importantly, shut the fuck up about this subject! you are really starting to sound like a troll right out of ARFCOM!

If you go back and read. I was called out for voicing my opinion that the Falcon scopes are made in China. That's why I care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do you give a fuck? really! who gives a shit if Falcon is being straightforward or not? if you don't like the way they are doing business, don't buy their product! but more importantly, shut the fuck up about this subject! you are really starting to sound like a troll right out of ARFCOM!</div></div>

Read what you just wrote. Sounds like ARFCOM to me.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How can you possibily come to this conclusion given the common knowledge that Falcon starts with a Chinese assembly and Japanese glass, and finishes the job over in the U.K.?
</div></div>

I think it's been commonly <span style="font-style: italic">said</span> but I don't think anything about Falcon Optics is commonly <span style="font-style: italic">known</span>. In order to <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> we would need to possess first hand information but that is not the case. Have you seen the manufacturing facility or any of the supposed UK infrastructure?

You <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> about as much as the OP, which is not much when you think about the situation. My gut instinct is to assume they are made in China and have a fancy story applied to them but I'm willing to listen to first hand proof. I think the OP has a better basis for his belief when you consider all the Chinese garbage marketed as Navy Delta Strike Force Seal scopes and the striking similarities between the Falcon Menace and the Famous Maker. Further, I think the Menace is made and sold right out of the same place but since there is additional layer(s) of distribution (in Europe?) the price is higher, not because material or labor costs.

It might be time for you to go back and read. You've been called out for your still unsubstantiated claim that Falcon scopes are made completely in China, and that the Falcon U.K. office is somehow acting suspiciously.

And for the the third time, please explain how Falcon is not being straightforward with its customers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think it's been commonly <span style="font-style: italic">said</span> but I don't think anything about Falcon Optics is commonly <span style="font-style: italic">known</span>. In order to <span style="font-style: italic">known</span> we would need to possess first hand information but that is not the case. Have you seen the manufacturing facility or any of the supposed UK infrastructure?

You <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> about as much as the OP, which is not much when you think about the situation. My gut instinct is to assume they are made in China and have a fancy story applied to them but I'm willing to listen to first hand proof. I think the OP has a better basis for his belief when you consider all the Chinese garbage marketed as Navy Delta Strike Force Seal scopes and the striking similarities between the Falcon Menace and the Famous Maker. Further, I think the Menace is made and sold right out of the same place but since there is additional layer(s) of distribution (in Europe?) the price is higher, not because material or labor costs.

</div></div>

So conversations with RWSnyder, Sniper Central, and Falcon CS don't count?

And what is it with all these <span style="font-style: italic">burden of proof</span> requirements for a solidly performing $400 scope? Are you guys even concerned about Falcon anymore, or are you more concerned about deflecting your dubious claims?

You guys are ignoring purposeful explanations from respected suppliers and the manufacturer themselves in order to invent this completely unsubstantiated theory about Falcon's manufacturing plants and business practices. And all because of a few pictures of scopes with similar features?

Are you guys familiar with the legal definitions of liable and slander?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think it's been commonly <span style="font-style: italic">said</span> but I don't think anything about Falcon Optics is commonly <span style="font-style: italic">known</span>. In order to <span style="font-style: italic">known</span> we would need to possess first hand information but that is not the case. Have you seen the manufacturing facility or any of the supposed UK infrastructure?

</div></div>

So conversations with RWSnyder, Sniper Central, and Falcon CS don't count?

What is it with all these <span style="font-style: italic">burden of proof</span> requirements for a solidly performing $400 scope.

You guys are ignoring purposeful explanations from respected suppliers and the manufacturer themselves in order to invent this completely unsubstantiated theory about quality and manufacturing plants. And all because of a few pictures of scopes with similar features?

Are you guys familiar with the legal definitions of liable and slander?

</div></div>

I haven't invented anything, I'm just not going to take anyone's <span style="font-style: italic">word</span> for it. Show me some proof and I'll happily be on your side.

The cost of the scope and who said what is a Red Herring to the argument. So far we have two identical looking products and a <span style="font-style: italic">story</span> about assembly. For so much angst surely someone has personally seen or been to the operation.

There may be well over a hundred name brand Optics manufacturers that sell asian sourced optics in the US, and only a handful of far east optics factories. It's been a relatively quietly kept secret. The brand names conceal their sources as much as they can get away with it. Their job is to "sell" you their scopes, not to be sources of information about them...the less info the better, and such has been the case for decades.

None of them own factories...even the few Japanese factories out source from the Chinese mainland and mark them up, if that will add to their bottom line. It's very difficult to really know what is inside what you are buying and where it came from. Unfortunately, it's a lot like politics...but there is an appropriate military term for all this.

A warranty is an important buying consideration these days, and is heavily factored into, and reflected in the purchase price.

TC