• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace 5.5-25 50MM ML16

Snipers

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Received a new 5.5-25(50MM) ML16 as a replacement for one that crapped-out after a year (& 600 rounds of .308). The defective scope was one of the first produced and imported into this county. RWSynder was very good about replacing it, although I noticed the warranty is now two years and I think it used to be 5 years –oh well!

I also have an older Falcon with a two-piece tube and over 1000 rounds of .308 with no problems whatsoever. This is a late manufactured unit. I’m hoping Falcon has all the kinks out of the 5.5-25’s by now. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. I may be getting a Nightforce within the year, and then I can retire it to a less used rifle.

That said, I have noticed a few improvements with the newer 5.5-25. First, “gear top” of the metal adjustment towers have been replaced with a “round” unit. This makes tightening the aluminum knobs more secure and precise. Second, I believe the
‘Cross hair” is thinner allowing for more precise placement. The rest seems pretty much the same, although the parallax adjustment and magnification ring don’t need breaking-in this time around. Optical quality appears to be the same. It was packaged a nice velvet bag inside the “big black box”. Still have the same crappy, oversized, but serviceable flip caps (just needs a piece of sticky rubber window sealer). I took it to the range today and it functioned well. Focused nicely, held zero, and I did a little box test with it.

Re: Falcon Menace 5.5-25 50MM ML16

It made a nice square box. I'm not sure each click equaled .1 Mil, but it looked close.

The two piece scope is a 4.5-18x56MM, I don't think Falcon makes them anymore.

The 5.5-25X50MM has always been one piece.

Group size seemed to be increasing. Then I noticed the cross-hair would vibrate/jump when I pulled the trigger during dry firing. I took the scope off, shook it around, and something was rattling a bit. Then I remounted it; went to the range - fired about 5 rounds. The focus went permanently fuzzy. Scope fini! It died a slow death.

"That said, I have noticed a few improvements with the newer 5.5-25. First, “gear top” of the metal adjustment towers have been replaced with a “round” unit. This makes tightening the aluminum knobs more secure and precise."
Got a picture of that....

No - but if you take the aluminum turret caps off, there is a metal piece that the three screws in the cap grab onto. On the original falcons, this piece had a gear shape because the caps would slide down onto the gears and you would fasten the one top screw. That was done away with for a more traditional resetting of the turret cap (better alignment). The original 5.5-25X50MM was set up for the older style cap, but installed the newer style cap instead. The problem with the initial setup was the three little cap screws would deform the gears and provide less surface space for the screws to grab onto. I would think the new set-up would improve this for a better fit.

I am also convinced the cross hair is thinner too. At 100 yards and 25 power, a one-inch target dot would show some around the center of the cross hair. A half-inch target dot was pretty much impossible to use. When I went out yesterday, it seemed I had a lot more target dot showing from what I remember. Unfortunately, had no half-inch dots to absolutely make certain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No - but if you take the aluminum turret caps off, there is a metal piece that the three screws in the cap grab onto. On the original falcons, this piece had a gear shape because the caps would slide down onto the gears and you would fasten the one top screw. That was done away with for a more traditional resetting of the turret cap (better alignment). The original 5.5-25X50MM was set up for the older style cap, but installed the newer style cap instead. The problem with the initial setup was the three little cap screws would deform the gears and provide less surface space for the screws to grab onto. I would think the new set-up would improve this for a better fit.
</div></div>

I noticed that too. my serial nr is in the mid 300.. I got a problem with my turret cap, I just got some new 40 moa bases and had to make a new Zero.. I now noticed that I have a hell of a time getting my turret to rotate in the right way, it looks ok when put in place, but giving it a rev to go to 7-8 mRad makes it clear that it is jumping up and down!!!

HPIM3854.jpg

Just had the turret cap of.. I can see the will be a problem some time, and my screws always seems to go loose.. No matter what, when I take it out of the safe after a while, 2 out of 3 screws are loose.. That is starting to p... me of.. It will not get better over time..
Maybe I should contact Falcon as I made the buy directly though them..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HPIM3854.jpg

Just had the turret cap of.. I can see the will be a problem some time, and my screws always seems to go loose.. No matter what, when I take it out of the safe after a while, 2 out of 3 screws are loose.. That is starting to p... me of.. It will not get better over time..
Maybe I should contact Falcon as I made the buy directly though them.. </div></div>

Mine don't loosen just sitting, but if you are in a course of fire, better check them after each course or so. I'm wondering if a longer set-screw may be the way to approach this. If there are more threads engaged, there'll be more friction to hold them in place.

I have this exact scope and honestly the above method of tightening the turret knobs (3 allen set screws) is really my only beef with the scope. I usually make it a habit to give the screws on both turrets a little tighten down before each range trip - as they tend to loosen slightly after 100 rounds or so.

I have noticed though that the design looks like they would be easy to overtighten and strip the threads out - so maybe I'm just not getting them tight enough initially.

Other than this design - I REALLY am impressed with the scope for the money. Have had it for about a year and amd still surprised at how well it shoots from 500-1000m.