• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 FFP [pic heavy]

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
I just received the newest Menace from RW Snyder. Great to do business with; extremely fast delivery.

For those of you who are curious about this model, I thought I would share my new experience with it.

First impressions upon delivery:

Comes in a simple black box, one printed page of directions, a couple allen wrenches, and a lens cloth.

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

First impressions of scope:
- Heavy
- One solid tube construction
- Nice matte finish
- Matching finish 2" shade
- Thin rubber coated magnification ring; very tight when adjusting
- Very crisp and very audible turrets that line up on movement
- Smooth parallax rotation
- Supplied flip caps are extremely useless; they will be used for target practice
- Absolutely no manufacturer markings; only SN on bottom side of main housing

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Next to the Super Sniper 16x

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Mounting was extremely easy; plenty of clearence using Badger 20 moa base and USMC rings.

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

Re: Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 FFP [pic heavy]

I decided on the Enhanced Mil-dot Reticle over the ML16 because the dots, if halved, provide .1mil measurements.

Initial impression of glass and reticle:
- Very clear and defined images; manageable distortion as you reach the edges (way better than what I was expecting!)
- Reticle is crisp, solid black, and no defects
- About 3" eye relief @ 5.5x; very small difference (-) @ 25x
- At 25x, only 14 of the 16 hash/dots are visible
- At 5.5x, the hash/dots are easy to make out

Sorry, this is my first attempt of through the scope pics; they don't do justice.

This is a tower, looking out of the back yard, at approx. 500-600 yards away.

Tower @ 5.5x:

IMG_0667.jpg

@ 10x:

IMG_0671.jpg

@ 15x:

IMG_0674.jpg

@ 20x:

IMG_0675.jpg

@ 25x:

IMG_0676.jpg

Sometime this week I plan on heading to the farm to set zero and try doing a vertical string test and maybe a box test depending on how much ammo I have left.

More pictures and updates coming...

stungib,

Nice write up. Very detailed.... Excellent pictures, but closeups of naked women through the scope would be much better than geeky celltowers. Please try harder next time.

Wait...you got printed directions with your Falcon??? WTF over. I have two Falcons and never got any paper of any kind. Did you have to pay extra for pre-printed directions???
smile.gif

Wait...were the directions in English???

Inquiring minds want to know,

Funning aside, Nice job,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wait...you got printed directions with your Falcon??? WTF over. I have two Falcons and never got any paper of any kind. Did you have to pay extra for pre-printed directions???
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1 on that... I got a scope pouch and no paper...

Palle

Some scopes came with the pouch and some didn't as for the directions it was up to the dealer to include them in with the scopes, now I'm not perfect so I might of forgot to include them with some of the scopes.

Hopefully when flacon finally gets there website back up they will have a downloadable version of the instructions on there site.

Equipment Overview

Fast Focus Ocular Lens / Diopter Adjustment

· It’s important that the reticle appears sharp and defined at all times.

· Use the fast focus eyepiece to adjust the sharpness of the reticle to suit your eyesight, by pointing the scope at a featureless bright area such as a wall or open sky. Never point at the sun.

· If the above is not carried out correctly then parallax error may become a problem. Do this first, before the scope is even mounted.

Mounting

· All Menace equipment is built around a 30mm tube section of one-piece construction.

· Always use good quality mounts/rings. Poor quality mounts/rings may damage your scope and will almost certainly hinder performance.

· Be careful not to crush or crimp the scope tube by over tightening the mounts/rings. Refer to literature supplied with the mounts/rings to ensure the correct torque settings are used.

Using your Millradian (‘MRAD’) or (‘Mil’) based reticle

· All Menace equipment with the exception of Menace 1.5-5x30IR utilise a MRAD based reticle.

· 1.0 MRAD equates to 1.0 Meter @ a distance of 100 Meters.

· Mil Dot (Standard) & Mil Dot (Skeleton) offer 1.0 MRAD spacing (Dot-Dot = 1.0 MRAD/Mil).

· ML20, ML16, Enhanced Mil Dot (Standard) & Enhanced Mil Dot (Skeleton) offer 1.0 & 0.5 MRAD spacing. In the case of all four reticles, 0.5 MRAD spacing is indicated using small hash lines.

· For more information on all reticles then please visit www.falconoptics.com or contact Falcon Optics directly.

Side Parallax Adjustment

· ‘The third turret’, calibrated in Yards or Meters dependant on the option purchased.

· Use this turret to dial out parallax error and bring targets into focus.

· This is not an accurate range finding method. Distance increments serve as a guide only.

Windage / Elevation Turret Adjustment

· Menace equipment supplied as ‘Metric’ or ‘MRAD’ will have an adjustment value of 0.1 MRAD/Mil per click. This translates to 1.0 Centimetre @ 100 Meters.

· Menace equipment supplied as ‘MOA’ will have an adjustment value of 1/4MOA per click. This equates to just over ¼” @ 100 Yards.

· Both windage and elevation turret caps can be disengaged, removed and re-inserted using the Allen Key provided. Simply slacken off the holding screw and remove. Then disengage the turret cap by easing it off the internal spline. A little force may be required to break the O-ring seal. Reposition the turret cap as desired; tighten the holding screw to secure.

Care and Maintenance

· Other than the repositioning of turret caps, adding and removing external sunshades and thread protectors then do not dismantle the scope. This kind of action will void any warranty.

· Menace 1.5-5x30IR, 7.5x50, 10x42, 4.5-18x56 and 4.5-18x56IR models are all supplied with a ‘built in’ secured sunshade. This also acts as a locking ring for the objective lens assembly so do not try and remove it.

· Wipe lenses with a clean soft flannel cloth. There’s a chance that certain cleaning fluids may damage lens coatings. For that reason Falcon Optics can not recommend that cleaning fluids are used.

Aftercare

· For any query regarding your purchase then please visit www.falconoptics.com or contact Falcon Optics directly using the details provided below.

· Please be sure to retain your original proof of purchase.

· If you have purchased via Mail Order or Online then be sure to check the scope thoroughly upon delivery.

· If you need technical assistance or you are concerned that your scope may have developed a fault then you either need to contact Falcon Optics directly or you can contact the Falcon Optics Authorised Dealer that supplied the scope.

· It may be that the issue can be rectified over the phone or via email but in some cases the scope will need to be returned.

· Do not return a scope without prior authorisation from either Falcon Optics or the supplying dealer.

Falcon Optics, The Poplars, Strawmoor Lane, Oaken, Staffordshire, WV8 2HY, United Kingdom.

Tel: +44 (0) 1902 847972 Email: [email protected] Web: www.falconoptics.com

If these are the models that your gonna try and set up a group buy on then hell yes Im in for one.

stungib, is that model mil/mil? or mil/moa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has to be mil/mil as the moa version has not been released yet.

Yes it is the same scope that I'm tring to get a GB going on. </div></div>

Fantastic

Is it just me or does the scope looks like the reticle isn't properly leveled to the rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just me or does the scope looks like the reticle isn't properly leveled to the rifle... </div></div>

It's not just you, looks way off to me as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just me or does the scope looks like the reticle isn't properly leveled to the rifle... </div></div>

I used LowLight's method of using feeler gauges when I mounted it.

I think it looks canted because of the way the rifle was leaning when I took them.

I have not used the plumb line to confirm if it's level or not.

They are reffering to the reticle vs the turret.Not the way you have it mounted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are reffering to the reticle vs the turret.Not the way you have it mounted. </div></div>

What you see is that cheap flip cap that won't stay on straight.

That, and perhaps the rifle is canted slightly on the bipod? Or that the tower (which one would think was damned close to vertical) is out of alignment with the reticle.

RWS,

Thank you for posting those instructions. One of the things I noticed was this statement;

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"· Menace 1.5-5x30IR, 7.5x50, 10x42, 4.5-18x56 and 4.5-18x56IR models are all supplied with a ‘built in’ secured sunshade. This also acts as a locking ring for the objective lens assembly so do not try and remove it."</span></span>

Now I know why the sunshade on my 10x42 would not come off....glad I did not try to force it.

However, my 7.5x50mm did not come supplied with a "built in" sunshade, but rather only 1 removeable one. Guess Falcon Optics made an engineering change.

Thanks again,

Bob

So sunshade on 5,5-25x50 (56) model could be completely removed?

damn... I didn't know the Falcon's were made without the ranging reticle...

That is nice. What's the tag on that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ares</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So sunshade on 5,5-25x50 (56) model could be completely removed? </div></div>

Yeah, it just screws off easily if you want to shorten the scope.

Yes, that is why i asked. Full length is a bit long for 20" barreled rifle :lol:

I just got mine in last night from Matt at sightwondes. I must admit he is a real class act. He took the time to answer all my questions on a real busy day. I called him on Mon, which is the first day you could order his Gen 4 WOTAC scope. He was very patient and professional and answered all my questions w/o trying to rush me.
I mounted the scope last night w/ XTR high rings and they are a little high. Mine is the 50MM objective w/ML 16 reticle and I should have went w/ medium rings for it. Overall the scope is very impressive. Yes it does get a little cloudy at high power but it is still useable on 25X even after sunset. The reticle thickness scared me a little when I ordered it but does not appear to be a factor. On 25X its about the size of a duplex reticle. On 5X the reticle is small and not useable for ranging, however the range reticle becomes very useable at 8X. The scope seems well built. The scope covers are useless, I have always heard they were and wondered why everyone hated them. The reason is that when you try to open them they are more likely to come off the scope than they are to actually open. You have to hold the piece that goes around the ring and then try to flip them open. I have mine mounted on a 300 RUM and won't get to fire for about anouther 2 weeks. The eye relief may be a little limiting but I wont know until I shoot it. If I have any problems w/ the eye relief I will let you guys (and Gals) know. The turrents seemed perfect to me. They were very audible and I did not think they were msuhy. I did not check overall adjustment yet. Overall I am impressed w/ this scope and think it will suit me well.

Nice scope.. Where can a guy get one and how much??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carvercalls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice scope.. Where can a guy get one and how much?? </div></div>
They are $475 + shipping
sightwonders.com has the 5-25X50 ML16 and the 5-25X56 ESLR (call to place order as they are not listed on the website yet)
http://rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/default.asp has som in stock as well (I think)

Robert, all scopes now are one piece tubes? I thought the 4-14 was a two piece?

Thanks!

Here are some more pics:
The first 2 are of it mounted on the gun.
falcon.jpg

falcon1.jpg

Here is a pic on 5X at 80 yards. Sunset was at 1940 and these pics were taken at 1940. It was taken through glass/screen window.
falcon3.jpg

And finally here is one at 25X. It laserd at 81 yards. A plate is 12" wide so using the Mil formula I got: 12/36= .33333 multiplied by 1000= 333.33 divided by number of mils (4) = 83 yards. To me they look fairly accurate.
falcon2.jpg

It was not fully answered above so would someone please school a rookie. Why does it matter if the reticle is canted vs the knobs? If the scope tracks properly then it should be a non issue, correct? I hope this is not coming off as a wise guy but I am curios what the fuss is about. If it affects performance I would like to know but if its just cosmetics then it not a factor for me.
Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1 on that... I got a scope pouch and no paper...

Palle </div></div>

You got a scope pouch??? All I got was the allen wrench...

Falcon needs to step their game up.

I just got my 4-14 ffp today it came with a pouch. Im very impressed by Matt at sightwonder.com I emailed him he promptly responded. Ordered my scope thursday and it arrived on monday.

yes, if anybody has contact with falcon, you should mention that. About getting their shit together. In 2009 not to have an operational website is ridiculous. Not to include any paperwork, directions, warranty card, anything in the box is unprofessional. And we are not talking about adding much expense to include a pamphlet. I have had 25 dollar scopes from kmart that came with all the paperwork. I am hope that I dont need the warranty card, but. Thanks RW for posting the information you had on the scopes.

As said I got a scope pouch as "Goodwill" gift, the pouch wasen't intended to be released untill bout now, as I got mine it was a "extra" due to some rather freq. e-mail with Nick from Falcon Optics, + that I live in mainland Europe gave me a slight lower wait time on the scope and dealing directy with Falcon as there are no dealers in Denmark..

Just curious...
My serial number is in the 340's. Whats yours...

Palle

I recently purchased a GAP Crusader (.308). My next purchase is the scope. I want, like everyone else, a S&B, USO, or Nightforce, but my fund are lacking right now. I'd have to wait a year before I could buy one of those scopes. What is the Falcon line-up missing, other than the <$2K price tag, that these high-end scopes have? I'm ready to go shoot and it's driving me nuts waiting to scratch the $$ together for some glass.

I don't own any high end glass but I would have to say the biggest difference would be in optical clarity / contrast. The lower line of glass is not as clear but overall its a great scope for the money. I think the area hit the hardest would probably be low light shooting and/or shooting from a lighted area to a darkened area. Like most folks I would loved to own a high end scope but the wife about freaked at a sub $500 scope. I don't know if I could ever justify the price of a USO/nightforce, to myself or her.
From what others have said it tracks perfectly and is very durable so you not giving up much in that area.Sure some high end scopes can be shot and continue to function but to be honest I hope I never get shot at. I like punching paper and hunting, I have no interest in becoming the hunted.

The 5-25 group buy offerd by Rob at www.RWSnyderGunsmithing.com will be closed sometime tommarrow.

If anyone wanted to pick one of these up nows the time.

Big thanks to Rob for committing to the buy even though the orders were shy.

Great write up! Anyone got a recommendation on the torque? I have a 4-14 and just mounted it in Burris XTR Rings. I started with 20 in/lbs. It felt snug and I didn't want to go any further. Sorry, this is the first time I've mounted rings. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great write up! Anyone got a recommendation on the torque? I have a 4-14 and just mounted it in Burris XTR Rings. I started with 20 in/lbs. It felt snug and I didn't want to go any further. Sorry, this is the first time I've mounted rings. Thanks! </div></div>

12 to 15 in/lbs. unless other specified by ring manufacturer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As said I got a scope pouch as "Goodwill" gift, the pouch wasen't intended to be released untill bout now, as I got mine it was a "extra" due to some rather freq. e-mail with Nick from Falcon Optics, + that I live in mainland Europe gave me a slight lower wait time on the scope and dealing directy with Falcon as there are no dealers in Denmark..

Just curious...
My serial number is in the 340's. Whats yours...

Palle </div></div>

You got a serial number??!?!!

Just kidding, the first line of mine starts and ends in letters, but the second's in the 1400's.

I have one of the new 5-25x56 and i also own a NF 5.5-22x56. From what i can tell, the falcon is about half the scope at a third the price, so all in all a pretty good value for the money.

Reticle: I can tell a little blead at the edged, but only at 25X, and thats when the reticle is thickest.

Turrets: not as precise as the NF. The NF clicks feal super precise and like it falls into a perfect "valley" on each detent. The menace has good audible clicks, but at each detent there seams to be a little slop or at least its like the knob can be tensioned one way or the other, but if tensioned in one direct it lines up with the marks. The falcon turrets arent quite as heavy duty as the NF either.

Glass clarity: The NF is better but for 90% of users probably not 1k better.

The biggest selling point for me on the NF is due to it being a 2nd FP scope the reticle is SUPER crisp at 22X therefore making it really easy to aim very precise. Turrets on the NF are superior. Glass too.

Overall the falcon is a pretty good value and seams like the construction is pretty good, i dont think it will fall apart at all.

Like i said, its about 1/2 the scope at a 1/3 of the cost. Makes a good scope for someone getting into the hobby or a scope to beat on during practice etc.

CJG

By looking at the pics provided by stungib and Spear Fisherman, it would appear that the EMD is actually a finer retical than the MP16. Am I seeing things. Or are they different thicknesses?

John

I would have to agree with jrob they do "appear" to be different thicknesses. However I would assume with the nature of the photographs/camera etc it makes it hard to determine.

Compared side by side, and straightened:
comparedreticlesp.jpg

Both supposed to be 25 power. So either there is a slight issue with zoom accuracy, or cameras are playing with it.

It does show to me that the EMD seems less busy, afterall. And the MP reticle being smaller, but having the thicker looking posts is rather interesting.

I notice the lower part of the EMD crosshair that is covering the tower looks thicker (more pronounced). I think it's the way the camera interprets the extreme difference in contrast between the sky and the crosshair, they are bleeding together making it appear thinner.

For reference both line thickness 0.06 mil:
falcon EMD
falcon ML16

Poison Miller: For the first look at the picture, the two circles are not same in the size, so how do you want to compare them?

Jeremy: That PDFs are for 4-14x44 scope, not for 5,5-25x

Here you can compare size and thicknes of the reticles
I leveled them, resized to the same size (mil=mil using reticle, not stadias)

leveled, resized and overlaid for comparision
EML_ML16_1.jpg

ML16
ML16_1.jpg

and EML
EML_1.jpg

Great PI work to all.

It would appear that the EMD is indeed thinner, even though overexposure in it's photo seems to be responsible for some of it.

It's of issue to me because I really want to like this scope for future purchase, but hate obstructive reticles at high mag.

I do like the solid stadia of the EMD also, as well as the capability for .1 mil resolution.

John

I saw few other photos of EMD reticle and if I measured as accurate as possible from the photo, it is about 0,035 mrad thin and dots are about 0,15 mrad in diameter.

lol the best part of all this is I ordered the ML16 instead of the EMD because I thought it wouldn't be quite as obstructive on the target.
cry.gif
lol ..ho hum..

I just ordered a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP with mil/mil and the burris low rings from sightwonders, $462.95 total with shipping. I bought a used GAP Crusader 3 months ago and have been chomping at the bit to get some glass. Don't have $2500 for the top end optics, so I will shoot this scope and move up from there. I'm new to tactical shooting anyone have a thread for mounting scopes and first day at the range type info? Suggestions are highly encouraged, I'm VERY excited to send some lead down range.