• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace issue.

Omni

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2004
Lowell, Arkansas
I just got my 4-14 menace in and everything looked great. The knobs were not to mushy, the glass looked decent, it was FFP, everything I was looking for.
The only problem I did see was the hash marks on the elevation were off compared to where the clicks stop. It is between two hash marks at the current factory zero and as you turn the knob it slowly matches up and then starts to widen again. I didn't figure it would matter since when I shot the dope I would have the adjustments I need. To me this was OK for what everyone says is a cheap scope, but then again it is the most expensive piece of glass that I have ever owned.

Then I went and tried to mount it. I am using a Badger 20 MOA base with Badger rings on a R700. I used some feeler gages to make sure that it mounts square, indexing off of the top of the base and the flat bottom of the scope. When I got the scope square I looked at the reticle and it leans to the left. The reticle is 1/8-3/16 off at the top.

I went and read Lowlights mounting article again. Everything seems good except that the scope will not level. One thing I did notice is that the flat on the top of the scope and the flat on the top of the Badger rings does not line up. The right side of the scope flat is higher than the ring flat and the left side of the scope flat is lower than the ring flat. Any hints at what I should check and do next.

Re: Falcon Menace issue.

See what happens when you start measuring stuff!
smile.gif

I say keep it simple. Use a plumb bob (i.e. a weight hanging off a string) or a vertical level, and align your reticle's verticle component to match.

Then get to shooting. Shooting is what will increase your performance, more so than stressing over every little imperfection in your gear.

My natural rifle hold results in canting the rig, so how do I line up my scope when nothing on it will allow an index of my hold? Get to the range my man, and send some rounds on the target. Fire for effect!
smile.gif

I can tell you that I've been burned a couple times when using the feeler gauges. If (to get the correct spacing) you are forced to use a stack up of shims that comes from different places in the stack (two from the bottom, one from the middle, etc) then the end of the gauge stack closest to the pivot screw can sit higher than the end furthest from the screw. This scenario creates sort of a ramp in the gauge, and if you aren't careful can angle the scope out of alignment.

You might try removing the screw, and taking all the shims out of the gauge holder completely. Then stack them up between the scope bottom and top of the rail without the holder to ensure they are flat all the way across.

I am starting to suspect a combination of the kitchen table, swivel bipod and me. I hung a cord from the ceiling and weighted it down with a flashlight, it still looked off. I am going to remove the rings and try to mount it again to see what happens. I will also look into the ramped feeler gages.

I personally think the feeler gauge trick is bogus!! I use levels to mount my scopes. I just received a 5x25 falcon today and it looks great!! Lee

I think that I got it, I removed the scope and rings then remounted it all again. I also removed the needed feeler gages from the rest and the scope magically looks right. I didn't have a ramp but, I was using the thin gages so maybe the weight of rest bent the others and caused the cant. That is all I can think of that changed. I will go shoot it and see if I notice anything off or out of track.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

This is interesting. Do the number of clicks per revolution not match the indicated number of clicks per revolution? Could you possibly post the numbers? I think it is supposed to be 60 clicks / 6 mils per rev.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only problem I did see was the hash marks on the elevation were off compared to where the clicks stop. It is between two hash marks at the current factory zero and as you turn the knob it slowly matches up and then starts to widen again. </div></div>

With the feeler guage issue take the screw out and use them flat on eachother ie take it apart. Feeler guages are cheap and can be picked up at auto zone for under 10 bucks so you can get a dedicated set for scope mounting. I did this and it worked like a charm. One peice of advise is ues the flat guages not the one with a bend at the tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally think the feeler gauge trick is bogus!! I use levels to mount my scopes. I just received a 5x25 falcon today and it looks great!! Lee </div></div>

where did you get the 5x25? or was it a mythical demo one?
grin.gif

The other thing to watch out for is that the reticle and the turrets are square with each other. I take a level and sharpie and mark a vertical line on the target. Then I level the rifle and make sure the retical is level. Then when I run my elevation up I make sure it tracks straight up as well.

I have not seen it but have heard of others going crazy on the range when the alternated between hold overs and dialing for elevation when the reticle and turrets were not aligned.

Are you sure you are not confused about the hash marks too?
I have not seen this with the Falcon Menace and mine is right on the money.

Test your tracking. Maybe you got MOA knobs that are marked mil or vice versa?

Re: The hash marks lining up

Have you tried zeroing your elevation knob? By doing so, you should be in control of where the hash marks line up.

I have a 4.5-18 mil and I like the optics and zero seems to hold real well. But ...

I was at the range this week to get set up for F-class. I used JBM to calculate the comeups for 300 and 600 yards, so I would be on the paper and to check scope calibration. The range I was using was only 100 yards so I took my level out and drew vertical lines on the target board. On each vertical line I drew horizontal hash marks 4.5 and 14 inches above a .5 inch dot, these are the calculated comeups. 4.5 inches at 100 yards is 1.3 mils the calculated drop at 300 and 4.1 mils is the drop at 600 yards.

The rifle is zero'ed at 100 yards so I dial up 13 clicks and I am quite a bit above my horizontal mark at 4.5 inches right on the vertical, I find that 9 clicks nails the mark at 4.5 inches when aiming at the zero dot, and 30 (instead of 41) clicks nails the mark at 14 inches. This is repeatable, I can return to zero and go up 9 clicks and nail the 4.5 and 30 clicks above zero nails the 600 yard mark.

My clicks seem to be about 1 and a third larger than they should be. Does anyone else have this problem. I will be sending the scope back but anted to know if anyone has seen this?

Thanks

my falcon 5-25x56 had turrets a tad mushy for me, so i removed the turrets to find the stickiest greace known to man, i cleaned off this grease, added miltec to the orings , and experienced a remarkable improvement, it feels much more positive, and in my opinion , the turrets are just as good now as a leopuld if not better

My reticle is true to the turrets (scope tracks true to the reticle) but the bottom of the turret housing is not true to the reticle.

In other words, if I mount the scope using feeler method, the reticle will be canted (adjustments follow the reticle). But if I mount with the plumb method, everything's OK.

Using feeler gauges is a great way to do it, also if you have access to a machine shop with micro inspector or PMM they are accurate to one ten thousand of an inch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobb_50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my falcon 5-25x56 had turrets a tad mushy for me, so i removed the turrets to find the stickiest greace known to man, i cleaned off this grease, added miltec to the orings , and experienced a remarkable improvement, it feels much more positive, and in my opinion , the turrets are just as good now as a leopuld if not better </div></div>

Could you post up a quick "how to" on this? I'd like to do the same, but I'm a little hesitant to just start disassembling a good scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Davinho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobb_50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my falcon 5-25x56 had turrets a tad mushy for me, so i removed the turrets to find the stickiest greace known to man, i cleaned off this grease, added miltec to the orings , and experienced a remarkable improvement, it feels much more positive, and in my opinion , the turrets are just as good now as a leopuld if not better </div></div>

Could you post up a quick "how to" on this? I'd like to do the same, but I'm a little hesitant to just start disassembling a good scope. </div></div>

I was wondering the exact same thing myself Davinho, and I just sent him a PM asking for his help. If he responds I'll send you a copy of his reply.

-Pat

what is so hard about zeroing the adjustments, removing turrets, and cleaning the greace, replace turrents and check zero?

seems basic to me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Davinho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobb_50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my falcon 5-25x56 had turrets a tad mushy for me, so i removed the turrets to find the stickiest greace known to man, i cleaned off this grease, added miltec to the orings , and experienced a remarkable improvement, it feels much more positive, and in my opinion , the turrets are just as good now as a leopuld if not better </div></div>

Could you post up a quick "how to" on this? I'd like to do the same, but I'm a little hesitant to just start disassembling a good scope. </div></div>

I was wondering the exact same thing myself Davinho, and I just sent him a PM asking for his help. If he responds I'll send you a copy of his reply.

-Pat </div></div>
I did mine the other day. Just use the little L wrench you got with it, pull them off, wipe off the grease, apply some lube/grease of your own, reseat them, screw them down.

I don't get it.
Why is any old grease of your own better than what comes with the scope?

because the greace falcon uses is like molasses. i replaced it with a light penetrating synthetic oil that is thin like water. ask anyone on here or at any quality gunshop what miltec is

it works

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it.
Why is any old grease of your own better than what comes with the scope? </div></div>

It's not so much the quality as it is the quantity. Mine was literally caked in it, making it VERY hard to feel/hear the clicks.

I wiped it out with some q-tips and applied gun butter to the o-ring and other areas.

The difference is night and day

OK. Found Militec and Gun Butter grease on google.
They both look pretty good. Which is better?
Are you guys sure these will hold up over the long haul?
Will the scope still be as waterproof?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. Found Militec and Gun Butter grease on google.
They both look pretty good. Which is better?
Are you guys sure these will hold up over the long haul?
Will the scope still be as waterproof?

Thanks. </div></div>

I've used/own both, can't say either way. They are both good products and very long lasting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sommers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I did mine the other day. Just use the little L wrench you got with it, pull them off, wipe off the grease, apply some lube/grease of your own, reseat them, screw them down. </div></div>

So you're not actually removing the adjustment turrets, just the turret caps? That I've done, but I don't recall seeing any thick grease under there. I'll give it another shot.