• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace Loose plug????

jay540firebird

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Indiana
I just received my second Falcon menace 4-14x44mm scope and noticed the plug that is on the left hand corner under the scope is about 1/8" out farther than my other Falcon, and is only hand tight. Is this of major concern. I just wanted to check with other members to see what this plug affects on the scope and being loose(hand tight). Thanks for any info that you can give me! Jay.

Re: Falcon Menace Loose plug????

I really was impressed with my first Falcon on my M1A, I purchased another one for my 700P .300 win mag. Sent a e-mail to Falcon to see what happens next. I just don't want to make any adjustments without knowing what this plug does and the affects that it has on the scope. I will post the reply from Falcon when I get it. I just was checking to see if anyone else has run across this. Thanks! Jay.

Are you talking about the screw on the bottom? I myself have always wanted to know what it was for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you talking about the screw on the bottom? I myself have always wanted to know what it was for. </div></div>Yes, right under the objective focus adjustment knob on the left side. Mine was just hand tight. My other falcon, the plug is about 1/8" farther in and it is tight. Just found it rather odd that it was that far out of the scope. I hope it didn't let nitrogen out or mess with the internal adjustments.

I've no education on Falcons, but in most scope designs that have that, it is where the spring setup is mounted/secured that keeps pressure on the erector assembly.
I can't imagine that its not supposed to be tight, and if its not I would demand it be fixed. Many scope makers go so far as to void warranties if you tamper with that (IOR comes to mind, not sure about Burris).

That screw holds the erector spring in. Not sure how tight it should be, mine don't move at all.

Here is the reply from falcon to my e-mail: Thanks for your purchase,

The plug you speak of is the cover for the coil spring (erector). We have used a couple of different designs on the 4-14x44 Front Focal, the more recent models have a larger cover, this is why you are noticing the difference between the two.

So long as that cover has not been removed then no nitrogen will have escaped. The design of the cover makes it very very difficult to move by accident. There is no need to adjust this, you will see that we have not provided the correct tool in the box, it is already set for the correct level of tension.

Contact us again if you need more assistance

Goop it with penetrating Loc-Tite(r) and toss it in the freezer for two hours!@