• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace vs. Hawke Sidewinder 5-25x56/6-24x56

jcfd2201

Playing with fire!
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
NE Arizona
I have researched prior posts and compared both scopes and really can't decide on which one to get. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me which one to get but rather point out good points or bad points that I may have missed in the other posts or that weren't covered.

I'm not looking at other scopes either as this is for a prairie dog rifle and not something that will see huge amounts of use or abuse and these fall in the price range I'm looking to spend currently.

Both have good warranties.
Both are in the power range I am looking for.
Both have reticles I like.
The Falcon is FFP the Hawke is not.
Both have side focus.
Both have received decent reviews from what I have found.
The Hawke is illuminated the Falcon is not, not needed by me.

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Falcon Menace vs. Hawke Sidewinder 5-25x56/6-24x56

Take whatever money you plan to waste on either of those shit scopes, and donate it to Wounded Warrior.

Either result will leave you scopeless, but at least one will leave you feeling good about yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take whatever money you plan to waste on either of those shit scopes, and donate it to Wounded Warrior.

Either result will leave you scopeless, but at least one will leave you feeling good about yourself. </div></div>

good reply

Honestly, unlike some here, I know what it's like not to be able to afford the high priced toys.

You clearly have a low budget for this. That doesn't mean you can't buy a good scope, it just means you have to decide if it's better to search for a high quality used scope, or gamble on a low quality new scope. It really is that simple.

If search enough on sights like ebay and gunbroker.com you will find a high quality scope that you won't regret buying, and more importantly, if you ever go to sell that HIGH QUALITY used scope, you will get back most if not all of what you paid for it!

When you try to sell you used low quality scope, you will be luck to get half od what you paid, if that.

That's the tact I would take, and you can take it to the bullseye

Thanks JRose! I would much rather donate to the 100 Club here since they help our brothers and offer grant money to other departments.

As for the scope it will get upgraded but after getting permission to build a new rifle the wife drew the line and set a $ cap. I went over my intial budget on the rifle. Once I'm off restriction again I will buy better glass but in the mean time prairie dog season opens the 16th and I really want to shoot this rifle.

If it is only between the 2 choices listed... go with the Hawke.

DK

Thanks for the input Ivan and Z71.

Look at the new Super Sniper's. Bang for the buck, I feel their the best I've found.

I love my high end glass, but there's definitely a diminishing return at a certain point. Especially for the recreational shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the new Super Sniper's. Bang for the buck, I feel their the best I've found.

I love my high end glass, but there's definitely a diminishing return at a certain point. Especially for the recreational shooter. </div></div>

+1!

I'm ditching my Falcon 5-25 50mm soon. Pick up a used 3-12 44mm FFP mil/mil Bushnell, or Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP mil/mil in the optics for sale section. Much better scopes for the money and second hand only a hundred or so dollars more than a new Falcon. The Super Snipers are killer scopes for the money as well. They are introducing the mil/mil fixed power scopes pretty soon, and if they are anything like the other scopes they are making you will be well served to check them out.

What is funny is that if you look back at posts of two+ years ago, the Falcon scopes were the flavor of the month.

They are a very decent scope, they have a new, limited lifetime warranty. The 5-25 is available with an illuminated reticle. It is FFP, it is mil/mil, it comes in three different reticles, all of which are superior to a standard mil-dot. The glass on my 4-14 was surprisingly good. Accurate, repeatable adjustments, fairly large adjustment range.
They do, however, need re-lubing of the orings under the turret caps. An easy, two-minute fix with silicone spray.

The Hawke seems to be well liked by those that have bought them. The miss-matched reticle/turrets is a turn off for me.

Another budget scope to consider is those made by Konus.

If it was me, I would go with the only FFP, mil/mil scope that has has a decent track record in your budget.
That is the falcon. Buy from SWFA, as any warranty issue will be easier to resolve.
RW Snyder gunsmithing also sells falcons, he sold me mine. Great guy to deal with.

Adding this:
This is a VERY highly regarded scope that might fall into your budget, the warranty is unbeatable. Once again though, miss-matched turrets/reticle
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13285.aspx

Ive owned a falcon and didnt have any problems with it tracking or RTZ. Glass was good for the money. Only issue is the reticle is a bit thick.

I have a Falcon 4-14 and I have no problems with it. I picked it up used here and would purchase it again in a heartbeat. When I finally save up enough for the Vortex PST I plan on moving the Falcon over to my .22-250. I like it an have no plans on ditching it.

I've got three Falcons and they serve a purpose within my collection (which includes Nightforce, Sightrons Meopta's etc).

All three track well and have been used on anything up to .300WM out to beyond 1000 yards. Have recently got the fixed 10x which has just started to be offered again and am really impressed with it so far.

If we could get them over here in the UK I'd certainly have had a Super Sniper but unfortunately they won't export, so kinda stuck with the Falcons for now. Nothing wrong with them though in my experience.

I own a Faclon Menace and for the price it is hard to beat! It does what I want it to do, I have a USO and it does what I want it to do as well. For what you want to use it for you will not regret it! I have about 1k rounds with the Falcon and so far so good, very few things to complain about. If you can't find one used here on the hide look at SWFA they are one of the best places to purchase a scope from.

I have the 4-14 Falcon, No complaints really, was decently priced and tracks well. I can see pretty clearly. I works.

I put it back on my .308 mule rifle as I work up some heavy bullet loads....

I look daily at the optics for sale section for a good deal on used glass. I have bought from SWFA on numerous occasions and Dillon has always taken good care of me. I am definitely a fan of SWFA.

If you need the higher power, get this one! Hawke If you plan on shooting more under 1k yards then you might want something smaller, having a big scope for closer ranges sometimes sucks.
They are good scopes, they are not pos, they do the job and that is what counts, people that have not owned/used a product should shut there mouth about it.

If it was me, I wouldn't want a scope with FFP for p-doggin. Reticle could cover the object your trying to eradicate.

Thanks Knight and ZL! I am going to go with the Hawke and will order from Dillon at SWFA tomorrow.