• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace vs. Konus M30

XRAY110

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Arkansas
I am looking to buy my first target turret/long range scope and I am between a falcon menace 4x14x44 FFP EMD mil reticle/ mil adjustments for $384 and a konus m30 6.5x25x44 SFP mil dot/MOA adjustments for around $300. I know these scopes are no where near top notch but my budget is keeping me grounded below 450. I am shooting a savage 30-06 spring. I have read that the falcon has good tracking and is tough but that eye relief is poor (these were old reviews and i wondered if falcon had fixed the issue). I will have some pretty decent recoil so I don't wanna break my nose just to shoot. I love the idea of a FFP scope for target and groundhog hunting in the summer but I want to be able to deer hunt in the fall and wondered if the low light conditions that come with whitetails would be a problem. I also like the fact that the falcon is mil/mil. The plus for the konus is illuminated reticle and SFP but I don't know about how reliable adjustments are. Anyone had either of these or could give me some advice about the choice is more than welcome to chime in.

Re: Falcon Menace vs. Konus M30

Ive owned a Konus M30. the optics are clear. I didn't like the turret locks and not as positive as it could be clicks, but Im sure for the money, one can make it work. Im a guy that likes clarity and maginification. The Konus M30 has that. I would buy another if a low price point scope were my virtue.

I def would not buy a super shiper. I have owned several and all had poor light, poor optics, and parallax. The last one I owned moved zero every time you pulled the trigger on my 300 winny.

You would be better of waiting and saving up $600-900 dollars and buying a better scope. There are a lot of good scopes in that price range now, unlike a few years ago.

In that price range I would go with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 X 44/50. Way better scope than either of the ones you mentioned and the price is right.

+1 on vortex and the customer service is above top notch (not sure about the other 2 but I love vortex.)

Does the vortex viper have quick adjust target turrets and a mil dot reticle?

I have a menace 5.5-25x56 on a 308. Pros glass is decant focus is good knobs are easy to turn and audible retical is nice and FFP is always a pluss if using your scope to rang find. Cons turrets are a little spungy no zero stop no illumination and personaly do not like knob design. Over all mill availability is average. But for the price not bad. I'm happy

First off, i'm wondering why you are comparing two vastly different scopes?

One with a power range of 4-14 and the other a 6.5-25.
Wouldn't it make more sense to either consider the falcon 5.5-25 vs the 6.5x25 or, I belives Konus makes a 4-16 vs the 4-14.

You are also comparing a SFP scope to a FFP scope.

FWIW, Falcon will soon be releasing an illuminated reticle on the 5.5-25 with one to follow later on the 4-14.

I have a Falcon 4-14 EMD, I love the reticle, I loke the ml-16 but I wanted the solid stadia instead of the skeleton type to aid in low light.
Eye relief has never been an issue, I have used it on both a .223 and a .308.
I fixed the mushy clicks by taking the turret caps off and cleaning them out, followed by lubing them with silicone spray lube. I also protected the scope body (for cleanup purposes) and sprayed the orings off with the silicone and wiped them down. Now I have audible and very nice tactile clicks.
I put literally hundred of rounds through a lightweight rifle (PC10) in one week with that Falcon with no issues.
I can't speak for the Konus, many people seem to be very happy with them, though like any budget scope (Falcon included) they have a higher ratio of turds to diamonds.

Have you considered the Weaver Grand Slam series or the Nitrex series? Good warranty and made in Japan (SFP).

Also, don't discount the Bushnell scopes, you may want to consider the 5-15. It is not illuminated, but the glass is good enough for legal shooting times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In that price range I would go with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 X 44/50. Way better scope than either of the ones you mentioned and the price is right.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive owned a Konus M30. the optics are clear. I didn't like the turret locks and not as positive as it could be clicks, but Im sure for the money, one can make it work. Im a guy that likes clarity and maginification. The Konus M30 has that. I would buy another if a low price point scope were my virtue. </div></div>

My Brother has the Konuus M30 on his 308 SPS tactical and it works well for him. Clear optics, good resolution and seems to track well. That said I would go with the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44/50 if it fits your price point.

The reason the scopes are so different is because I'm not sure which type would better suit my needs. I will not be shooting in competition. I will just be target shooting (max probably 800-900)and hunting. I have only had SFP scopes so I don't know if the FFP would be for me or not, but I read that many people like them and guys that make the switch wish they would have done it sooner. I like the idea of having mil adjustments because of the simplicity and since this is my intro to long range I would like to start with one system and stay there. I definitly want target turrets and do not like AO scopes (the weavers and nitrex scopes I found were AO). These were two scopes that fit my budget with most of the features that I want. I have found nothing but good about the bushnell 3200's but all of their tactical scopes are well above my price limit. I guess I was hoping for some insight about which style of scope(SFP,FFP,high mag,med mag) would better suit my needs as well. I appreciate everyone's input by the way. Thanks

When you add hunting to the mix, that changes the dynamic.

I, personally, recommend a low mag of around 3 power, not more than 4 so you have those close shots covered.

A high end of 14 to 16 will fit your needs well.

There is NOTHING wrong with a SFP scope.

The problem with the Konus is the 1/8" clicks, fine for target shooting, sucks for everything else.

i'm thinking that the scope that most fits your limited budget, but with the features you desire and has a mil/mil model available is the Millet TRS-1.
http://swfa.com/Millett-4-16x50-TRS-1-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P42548.aspx

They are a decent scope, the glass is decent, normally track well and has every feature that you are looking for, it is SFP. I will tell you this, on mine, it is damn near impossible to reset the turrets no matter how hard I try, the adjustments still turn (gave the scope to my son). I REALLY like the turret locking feature.

You can spend that extra 150 on a good set of 30mm rings, lows should work depending on who makes them.

Thanks very much for the advice! I am a little confused though. You said you had one and couldn't reset the turrets. Then you said you love the locking turrets. So does the Millet have turrets that are impossible to reset, or locking turrets?

They are not supposed to be impossible to reset, mine are impossible to reset without changing the setting on the turrets.
Loosen the set screw in the center, pull up and reset the turrets. Doesn't really work on mine.

Yes, they have a turret locking feature, they are also available as mil/mil.

I'm currently using a Konus M30 mounted on Burris XTR rings, NF base. Had it for about two years and still going strong. Glass is great I don't have a prob with the mushy turrets. Yes the 1/8 can be a pain. The illuminated reticle shouldn't be a selling point unless you plan to shoot at black silhouettes or shoot in low lights, Otherwise you'll never really use it.

It does feature a built in leveler which is cool and works fairly well when you remember that it's there.

Ive been using it for target and modified f-class up to 1000yds. Always held its zero.

As far as durability I'll put it to the test in about a week and a half when I go to BHTC rifle course. If it holds up there and the 1/8th adjustments don't drive me too crazy then I'm sticking with it.

Hope this helps