• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Optics....are they any good?

charlest49

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
NJ
I have been looking at Bushnell Elite 6500, Nikon Monarch X, and Leupold V3. How Would a Falcon Menace match up to these scopes? I know there is a price difference. Thanks for all responses.

Re: Falcon Optics....are they any good?

a great mil/mil ffp option for the money

Best bang for the buck out there, IMHO. Search, read, learn, buy, shoot.

Try searching google for some reviews or here as well, it's been discussed multiple times.

I have a MIL/MIL one of the 4-14's and I'm very impressed with it.

It's a great starter scope, and it can easily hold you over until you decide to upgrade down the road.

http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/default.asp
Usually has them in stock, or he can get them pretty fast for you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlest49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking at Bushnell Elite 6500, Nikon Monarch X, and Leupold V3. How Would a Falcon Menace match up to these scopes? I know there is a price difference. Thanks for all responses.</div></div>

To answer your question, it doesn't. The Falcon scopes are not in the same league. They are good made in China scopes for the money.

GC

Made in the UK
Using Japanese Glass....nothing to be ashamed of at all...

Some internal components are made in China

Considering China is the mecca of modern industry today
they are utilizing all the newest machinery the world
has to offer...
I work for a Premier German Machine tool company,,the only
customers buying anything are in China..

Other than that the industry is at a stand still...

Made in China is far from a blanket statement for garbage
today,,,maybe 20 years ago....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made in the UK

has to offer...

</div></div>
+1

China can make quality when they are paid to make quality under set QC standards and inspections.

Most of the time they are paid to make cheap junk and that is what they make.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bang for the buck out there, IMHO. </div></div>

+ 1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">China can make quality when they are paid to make quality under set QC standards and inspections.

Most of the time they are paid to make cheap junk and that is what they make.

GC

</div></div>

Max
You're so far off base it isn't even funny...
I'd venture to say talking out of your ass

Show me a laptop computer that is made in the usa?
99% are made in China,,,,,,90% of all highest technology
along with the most stringent standards are made in China
Walk into a warehouse in best buy and look at all the products
you know the most up to date cutting edge consumer products
Made in China.....China is today what the USA was 50 years ago

Yep it sucks ,but living with your head in the sand sucks worse

They are buying more autos than the USA 3rd year in a row.
I just had a gal over for dinner (my girlfriend's friend) that is
a representative for Bentley Autos from the UK ,just returned from
the auto show in NY,over the weekend where they didn't allocate jack
shit,3 semis used to be 21,,,,GM has 6 used to have 35...

Now they are headed to China as I type this,,,she said that's where
they will make money...

I traveled internationally to install manufacturing cells worth millions to all the big corps....China and even Mexico have their
shit together and their workers are so dedicated it's scary...

Deal with it!

China is the cutting edge,,,because it's where the manufacturer's are dumping their money into ,,,meaning the best equipment and materials...

Back to the Falcon
The glass is made in the same quality labs in Japan as the likes of Nikon who are now sourcing products from China..

read the link....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/china.htm

I have had Leupold V3's,,,,,you think that glass is good? lol!
shit I have Mark 4's who's glass isn't any better than a menace
4x14 ffp ,,,,so Nikon and Leupold hasn't any better clarity than the
Menace scopes...

I have only noted a difference when looking through a high end Euro glass that is above 2 g's,,,,,,Hensoldt ,Carl Zeiss,S$B ,,,

Just to prove I'm not talking out my ass I have a Mk4 currently for sale here that I would take a Menace 4 x 14 ffp as a partial trade for.

I have the 5-25 flacon and it is a real nice scope, matter of fact I would take it over any Mark 4, no doubt about it. My only wish is that they would make an illuminated version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Show me a laptop computer that is made in the usa?
99% are made in China,,,,,,90% of all highest technology
along with the most stringent standards are made in China
Walk into a warehouse in best buy and look at all the products
you know the most up to date cutting edge consumer products
Made in China.....China is today what the USA was 50 years ago
</div></div>

Like I said when they are contracted and paid to make quality they can make quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had Leupold V3's,,,,,you think that glass is good? lol!
shit I have Mark 4's who's glass isn't any better than a menace
4x14 ffp ,,,,so Nikon and Leupold hasn't any better clarity than the
Menace scopes...</div></div>

Your opinion. Glass is only part of how well a scope is made. Some of the Falcon scopes have had problems with QC, the turrets and two piece separation. The Falcon scopes overall are good scopes for their price range.

GC

Yeah some ...about 3 so far as I can tell from my research,,,care to discuss how many problems with mechanical issues Leupold have had??

we wouldn't have enough room on the servers...

For the money ,simply the best scope going today....

Another thing about this company,,,unlike all the others,they have eyes and ears on these forums and actually execute the implementation of new
features and improvements damned near immediately.

The issue with the bell coming loose was with the 4.5 x 18 x 56 illuminated ,2 piece tube....guess what they are already addressing that problem with 1 piece tubes and the knobs are available to customers who felt their witness marks weren't lined up on zero.

With regards to mechanical capabilities,,the scopes have been run through plenty of tests on many boards on 50 cal and 338 L and have passed with flying colors,,,tracking and return to zero has been flawless in all accounts....mechanically sound.

I'm glad we can both agree that they are a great deal...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Your opinion. Glass is only part of how well a scope is made. Some of the Falcon scopes have had problems with QC, the turrets and two piece separation. The Falcon scopes overall are good scopes for their price range.

GC </div></div>

GC,

I've been shooting with Leupold scopes for a very, very long time (40some years) and they are not what they once were. My suggestion is that you compare the current Falcon production scopes to comperable scopes at 2X the price if you find any. You may be very surprised to find that the Falcons hold up very well in terms of features and optical quality. I recently received a Falcon 5.5-25x56FFP prototype scope and compared it side by side with a 35 year old Leupold Vari-X II scope, IOR 3-18x42FFP and a new S&B PMII 5-25. The Falcon was surprisingly clear at 25x and compared well with the Leupold scope which was build back when Leupold really built the only affordable entry level high-end scopes. The IOR and S&B had clearly better glass but considering their prices are 3X and 7X respectively of the 5.5-25FFP Falcon there is really no contest for those of use who live in the real world.

Cheers/Chip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 5-25 flacon and it is a real nice scope, matter of fact I would take it over any Mark 4, no doubt about it. My only wish is that they would make an illuminated version. </div></div>

Stand by adam,,,it's coming,,I want the same thing...

As soon as the MK4 MRT sells that I have I'm getting 2 Menaces...asap

Since I'm not a name brand whore but rather advocate common sense with regards to $$$ and what features I can get...

I'm thinking 2- 5 x 25 x 50mm illuminated FFP mil mil will be purchased as soon as they arrive.

Sure hope they have the illuminated reticles...?

I have one and I love it, I'm waiting on the 5-25 to come out to buy another one. IR would be a plus also.

Buy one and try it out, if you not happy, you can sell it easily. You don't see too many used Falcons for sale and when you do, they don't last long.

Great scopes for the money and great dealer service. I had a problem with a 10x42 menace, and it was taken care of in less than a week by RWS.

I'm definitely going to pick up at least one 5-25x50 when they hit the market.

Can't say enough good things about the Menace FFP line.

They dominate the market that they are in.
That market being full featured optics under $1,000.
Front Focal, clear / bright glass, good reticle choices, and MIL/MIL adjustment options.

Holy shit guys i did not want to start any fistfights/but thanks for all the response to my qusetion/i now await my new falcon scope and will post when it arrives.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlest49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit guys i did not want to start any fistfights/but thanks for all the response to my qusetion/i now await my new falcon scope and will post when it arrives.
Thanks </div></div>

You are going to like it. Post when you get back from the range.

I love it when people who don't own one start bagging on it. Have you actually owned and used one of these scopes, max100? I would like to know if you actually have any experience with them or if you just like to run off at the mouth.

I have one falcon right now, and am wating on a new version that I have already ordered. I should have it in the next couple of weeks, and I will flog it unmercilessly and post a review.

Here is what I can tell you about the 4.5-18x56 falcon I have been using:

*sighted in extremely easy
*knobs are repeatable, although a bit "mushy"... my only gripe with these scopes
*glass is phenomenal for the price of these. Better than leupy glass IMHO
*there was a "bad batch" where the occular bell would come off the main tube. To my knowledge, falcon replace the half-dozen or so it actually happened to. Mine has never had any problems there, it is rock solid.
*It is NOT on par with a $3k schmidt & bender... but it cost $300 so get a grip
*you probably can't flog it like a USO either, but that's not what it is about.
*I'm not sure i'd choose it as the combat optic for a national military, but for general paper/target/varmint/coyote/etc shooting, you can't go wrong
*i'm waiting on the new one with new knobs right now. I will post back once I have evaluated them in a couple of weeks.

I will personally not give leupold any of my money. I have looked at one of them countless times, and shot many different VX series scopes on friends rifles. I am not impressed by the product or the business model (suing and screwing your own authorized service providers). Leupy has had alot of canted reticle issues, even after supposedly "fixing" many of them. I'm not willing to put such a big chunk of change down for what i feel is a half-hearted attempt at optics. When I want to spend about $1300 on optics, I will go to Nightforce or Zeiss every time. More money would take me to USO, PR, or S&B. I know alot of people love their leupy's and that's fine, i'm just not one of them.

so there you have my take on things. For the price point, I feel the glass is superior to average leupolds, and while the 1st gen knobs are not the best, they still beat the living shit out of alot of other cheap optics i've seen.

Also in the price range of the falcon is the burris fullfields, and for a little more, the XTR series. Pretty decent stuff there too, for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you actually owned and used one of these scopes, max100?</div></div>

What you said in your post pretty much agrees with everything I have said so far about the Falcon scopes.

I never owned a Falcon but I have mounted & bore sighted a few for customers. For my personal use I prefer Sightron scopes.

It's just a scope don't so bent out of shape.

GC

Sightron scopes are twice the price and still don't have the features the Falcon Manace has.
Throw in the decent optics and solid construction you have a <$400 wonder!

When I read max100's bogus misinformation (doesn't compare with bushy, nikon and leupy. Not in the same league, etc.) I wasn't pissed, I just wondered what the hell he was talking about and figured he really didn't know.
Turns out that was the case after all!

Sightrons are cool too. I might be interested in one if I shot a budget benchrest.

Don't gloss over the fact there is reason why they are in the $400 price range.

You can buy them for less than $300 @ OpticsWarehouse.

GC

Gloss over?
You know something we don't know? What reason would that be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made in the UK

has to offer...

</div></div>

+1 I hate seeing that myth continually perpetuated.

Still harping on that one max? Wow, that's quite a (as in 1) pic you have there.
I just gotta classify all your crap as bogus misinformation.
Hope you don't mind.

i just got my ffp 5-25x56 and i could not be happier. Id rather have a schmidt bender, but i saved about 2 grand this way.

id say it is about 2/3 of a s&b scope for about 1/10th the price IMO

1300 rounds of .308 and lots of up, down and windage. It's still going strong. Tested the tracking up to 33 MOA and it tracked true for both windage and elevation approaching the end of it's travel (37 MOA on mine with a 20 MOA base). The glass is as clear as most of the Mk4's I have looked through. Nowhere near as good as Nightforce and USO.

The Downside? Somewhat mushy clicks and the markings on the turret don't always line up with the click detents. Both issues I can live with compared to the price.

My rifle is not a safe queen. When I am not shooting it's usually in the trunk of my cruiser. The scope has proven itself reliable, repeatable and durable enough that I don't have a problem putting it into service until my SN-3 is finished. It's held up to stalks, walks, drops and rough handling.

Is it the end-all, be-all of scopes? No.
Does it compare to scopes costing 6 times as much? No.
However I would rate them as a "best in class" for features and value.

Would I buy another? Yep. If I get into the Mil/Mil setup on my SN-3 then I will probably be buying a Mil/Mil Falcon for my .22LR.

I've got a new 5-25x56mm Falcon FFP mil/mil on my 338 Lapua. So far 50 flawless rounds through it, repeatable zero. Only gripe is that the knobs are a little mushy. Glass is clear as well, already got a few friends that are lining up to buy the scope after I get enough saved to buy a NF FFP mil/mil

Wolf / kchu02,

My teen aged sons and I are sort of paintball nuts and we all shoot Dye/Proto markers which happen to use almost 30 O-rings internally. So being anal about maintenance I keep on hand about half a zillion O-rings to maintain our markers.

Guess what? If you replace the stock Falcon installed O-rings under the adjustment knobs the mushiness can almost be completely eliminated depending on the size of the O-rings you use. Sure it's not ever going to click like a USO, S&B or my IOR but it is a big step up and makes them click very clearly and tactilely. Being mostly a range shooter I opted for O-rings with a moderate fit and they work great on my Falcon mil/mil 5.5-25x56FFP scope. PM me is you want to try some different O-rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Guess what? If you replace the stock Falcon installed O-rings under the adjustment knobs the mushiness can almost be completely eliminated depending on the size of the O-rings you use. </div></div>

Actually, it's even easier than that. Just remove the turret caps (one screw each) and clean out the grease in the underside and on the O-ring, regrease with something lighter, and replace the caps. Done. There isn't a lot of grease in the turret caps, but damn is it thick stuff. Use a solvent/cleaner to get it out. My 4-14 FFP now clicks crisply.

This scope made me a firm convert to the church of matched reticles and adjustments. Get them now while they're still cheap because they aren't going to stay cheap.

BUY THE FALCON SCOPE

SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY ON AMMO

IT WONT MATTER WHO HAS THE CLEARER GLASS WHEN THE GUY WITH THE $2000.00 SCOPE CANT AFFORD TO SHOOT IT.

Save up for a good scope... Buy once... Ammo will come and go but a good scope will last you a lifetime.

do a search.. Some love the falcons but I would get a Nikon Monarch X

I've had mine for almost a year now. my only gripes are 1. cross hairs are to fat, 2 turret markings don't line up.

They can't make the reticle any thinner on an FFP. If they do, you will not be able to pick it up on 4x.

It's a real beotch at night.

The tick marks on the turret not lining up is a bit of an irritation though.

My main complaint with falcon scopes is eye relief, admittedly i have not looked at the new 5-25 model, but both the 4-14 and 4.5-18 models have issues with eye relief.

the aluminium cylinders that the turret detents are marked on came loose on my falcon - so when turning the turret, the detents moved aswell... i unscrewed the turret body and locktited both back in before reassembling as quickly as possible. (i have no idea if the nitrogen escaped or what, but it works fine and doesnt fog up so who cares)

Sending the scope back to the USA for warranty wasnt an option for me, but now the turret detents line up and the scope works great. Build quality and quality control are my only gripes with an otherwise excellent value scope. Im undecided about buying the 5-25x50 falcon for my next scope, or try another brand...

Got my 5-25 today. All I have to say is that it is very nice and shouldnt even be in the same category as the Nikons that I am hearing aboout in this post. But I guess everyone has an opinion. +1 for the Falcon Optics line!

How is the eye relief on it? Everyone is saying that there is much, I have asked several times, being as I shoot a 300wsm, I need some eye relief. What are you putting it on, and about how much do you have?
Thanks in advance
Ubet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the eye relief on it? Everyone is saying that there is much, I have asked several times, being as I shoot a 300wsm, I need some eye relief. What are you putting it on, and about how much do you have?
Thanks in advance
Ubet </div></div>

I'm interested to know this also, thinking about putting one on my .300 Wby.