• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Falling Block SWS

Tack

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Hi,
I am doing some sniper rifle research and I seem to remember a reference to a falling block .50 BMG sniping rifle developed during the 1970's or 1980's. I seem to remember it being called the Horstkamp or something very similar.
I can find no reference to it in my research material and no mention of such a system on the Internet.
Can someone please enlighten me?
Regards
Tack

Re: Falling Block SWS

The manufacturer was State Arms Gun Co owned by Klaus Horstkamp who is, sadly, no longer with us. The company is still doing well, but with a new owner. When I talked to Klaus about this rifle many years ago he said that he had only built a couple of them.

Here is the lit I could find in my files:

Specsheet.jpg

Actiondescription.jpg

Pricelist.jpg

Hi,
Superb! I thought my memory was playinng tricks on me.
many thanks
Tack

I worked w/ a gunsmith in Richmond Hill GA named John Fowler that built falling block 50BMGs based off the Ruger No1 in the early 90s.

I have lived with and currently shoot a good number of high caliber falling blocks. They are fine rifles and the actions are some of the strongest and simplest around. But, they all have the unique constraints of a falling block:

1. Positive extraction within a falling block format. Providing positive, fail safe extraction is the challenge that a number of makers have risen to. Some provide a self actuating shell kick out, some require manually assisted extraction. Taking full advantage of the mechanical advantage created by the relative short movement of the falling block is the issue.

2. Thrown down levers are an issue for those laying prone. Bottom breaking levers require broad disruptive swings and subsequent receiver movement. To my mind, side lever is the way to go and that means a much higher degrees of technical, material, design engineering and execution skills. In the best situations, the side lever requires no significant movement of the action on its set.

This receiver, A Hall Model F , will take you to 470 Nitro Express. Alan is a master builder and world champion competitor. This was taken before I hit it with the Krylon death skulls.:>

open.jpg

Here is one I did in .50 but not the kind of .50 that rings targets in these parts. But its Sunday, and l thought you would like to see another fine rig. Almost six years to get this one finished.

The whole story here..

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11052&highlight=gemmer

gemmer601.jpg

The only falling block actioned rifle I ever owned (and regret selling on here!!!) was a BSA Martini in .22lr.... Wish I could buy her back!!!

Those are both beautiful rifles. You do amazing work and I'm sure you are very proud of the results. I'm a huge fan of big bore single-shots, sadly my only falling block is a #1 in 375H&H.