• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Falsely accused & pissed

Sandhog308

Petty Officer of the Hide
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    Between the Ozark and Ouachitas
    Something happened yesterday that has me pissed big time. Not sure WTF I can do ?
    As I have mentioned on threads before , I have been a long distance runner most of my life.

Most of my runs are early in the mornings when it’s still dark. Since I run in the dark I notice when streetlights are out. I either turn them in the the Power Company online , or write the locations down and give a list to my towns street department head for him to turn in to the Power Company.

After months of nothing being done to fix the lights , I wrote up a fresh list of lights out and stuck it under the windshield wiper of a Power Company supervisors truck. on the list I included my contact info , along with my email address , phone number , etc. A week later I had a call from an unknown number from a Power Company employee telling me I needed to go through my towns street department to report the lights.
    Soooo yesterday I look outside and see an unmarked police car in my driveway, two detectives get out.
    One walks towards my front door , the other walked to the back of my house looking in my garage.

When I saw him walking back towards the front door , I walked up behind them and asked what could I do for them ? They asked me whether I remember leaving the written list on the windshield ? Then they asked if I had any shooting skills , since my email address is longshot_308 @……..com?
    Then he mentioned my Vietnam War Vets license plate on my truck. I asked WTF are they getting at ? Then one detective asked if I was shooting out street lights ? So because I have a shooting themed email address , and was a VietNam Vet , I get accused of shooting out street lights. They ( police) weren’t even from my town. They weren’t assholes , but they tried to manipulate the questions they asked.

So instead of being a well known pillar of my town looking out for public safety, I get two cops accusing me of something I did not do. Should I request the police report to find out who got this shit going ? Is there anything I should do to Straighten out this mess ?😡
    Sorry for the book sized thread , I’m so pissed off not sure what I should do next.
    🙈

Well they’re fucking retarded if they think you’re shooting out street lights and then reporting them.

A lot of cops just assume that everyone they come in contact with is up to no good and I’d bet they were no different.

Personally I’d go to the police department and file a complaint. That’s fucked up that you’re trying to help them out by letting them know what lights are out and you get accused of a crime for trying to do the community a service.

Some bitch-ass at the power company interpreted your email address as a veiled threat and called the police. In this day and age, they're obligated to at least have a look. If they were nice about it and you didn't say anything to keep their interests, you'll probably never hear from them again. I'd be irritated, too.

They probably saw and determined you're not crazy and closed it out.

No good deed goes unpunished. And by that, I mean you reporting the outages....

My first stop would be the power company if you need to confront someone. They initiated this. If the streetlights have not been repaired, and no broken glass under, how do they know they were shot out?
    This was a fishing expedition.
    And when and how does this become your job to determine which lights need to be replaced?

Tell the cops that unless they have evidence of such then they can go have a nice day.
    I asked one of them , why would I report lights out , with ALL of my contact info, then shoot lights out ? I think they saw it was bullshit after a minute or two.
    I talked to my towns mayor and he didn’t like police from another town showing up and questioning me.
    Thanks guys 🇺🇸

Welcome to todays America. I greatly regret that what we are passing to our children is not what was passed to us. I would join whatever face book groups your town has and republish your post there including the name and badge numbers.

Some bitch-ass at the power company interpreted your email address as a veiled threat and called the police. In this day and age, they're obligated to at least have a look. If they were nice about it and you didn't say anything to keep their interests, you'll probably never hear from them again. I'd be irritated, too.

They probably saw and determined you're not crazy and closed it out.

No good deed goes unpunished. And by that, I mean you reporting the outages....
    I get that they have to follow-up, but I always appreciate when the cops I encounter use common sense.

The encounter could have/should have gone something like this:
    Cops: Knock knock(in place of snooping around his house)
    Citizen: hi officers, can I help you?
    Cops: yes sir, sorry to bother you, but the power company received a letter from you about street lights being out, and for some reason they think you might be the one shooting them out. Have you shot any out or noticed anyone that might have?
    Citizen: no sir, that’s absurd, I run early in the morning and the lights are always out. I went through the proper channels repeatedly and have been ignored, which is why I left the note.
    Cops: Gotcha, we’ll let them know. Sorry for bothering you.
    Citizen: Hey no problem, y’all have a good day.

My first stop would be the power company if you need to confront someone. They initiated this. If the streetlights have not been repaired, and no broken glass under, how do they know they were shot out?
    And when and how does this become your job to determine which lights need to be replaced?
    A few days after I left the list I had a VM from someone at the Power Company showing up as a unknown number , that it wasn’t my job to report them , it was my towns thats responsible. I have had probably reported 30-40 over the years.
    NEVER will turn another one in for sure.
    Tried to reach someone at the Power Company, left 2 messages with customer service , never got a reply. 😡

A few days after I left the list I had a VM from someone at the Power Company showing up as a unknown number , that it wasn’t my job to report them , it was my towns thats responsible. I have had probably reported 30-40 over the years.
    NEVER will turn another one in for sure.
    Tried to reach someone at the Power Company, left 2 messages with customer service , never got a reply. 😡

"We're the Power Company. We don't care, we don't have to"........:rolleyes:

Probably worth getting a non-virtue-signally email address for recipients who don’t need to know you have a passion for the world‘s greatest rifle chambering.

Are the lights even the power company’s problem or some public works department? Possibly your reports are going to the wrong people anyway.

Calling their supervisor is a great way to get more attention.

Cops are never on your side. They are on the side of finding a perpetrator. You or the next guy, doesn’t matter to them.

Probably worth getting a non-virtue-signally email address for recipients who don’t need to know you have a passion for the world‘s greatest rifle chambering.

Are the lights even the power company’s problem or some public works department? Possibly your reports are going to the wrong people anyway.

Calling their supervisor is a great way to get more attention.

Cops are never on your side. They are on the side of finding a perpetrator. You or the next guy, doesn’t matter to them.
    It’s a statewide power company , think they repair them and my town reimburses them for doing it ?

I get that they have to follow-up, but I always appreciate when the cops I encounter use common sense.

The encounter could have/should have gone something like this:
    Cops: Knock knock(in place of snooping around his house)
    Citizen: hi officers, can I help you?
    Cops: yes sir, sorry to bother you, but the power company received a letter from you about street lights being out, and for some reason they think you might be the one shooting them out. Have you shot any out or noticed anyone that might have?
    Citizen: no sir, that’s absurd, I run early in the morning and the lights are always out. I went through the proper channels repeatedly and have been ignored, which is why I left the note.
    Cops: Gotcha, we’ll let them know. Sorry for bothering you.
    Citizen: Hey no problem, y’all have a good day.
    Agreed. Everyone has his/her own personality and we don't know what the BS complaint actually said. But, if Mr. @Sandhog308 kept his cool, as it sounds like he did, the interaction was likely more like what you laid out than otherwise.

In this case, I think I'd be more irritated by the Power/Light company than the police.

No... I would not go near the power company and 'confront' anyone! That will just escalate.

I would have an attorney send the power company a letter explaining your actions. Stating that there was nothing more involved than a good citizen trying to give them information to help them keep their lights on. And stating that in future you will leave the 'lights' issue to them and there will be no more contact from you re. their lights. Thank you and have a nice day. Have them copy the PD if the attorney thinks it is a good idea. Send it registered.

No contact at all.... next step they will accuse you of stalking, being aggressive (confrontational, etc.).

Sucks what they did. But welcome to clown world.

If you knocked them all down and left a BLM sticker, they would be stopping by to apologize for putting their lights on land stolen from Indians. Fuck them.

Sirhr

Makes sense. I dunno. I’ve seen both city works trucks and power company trucks doing it in various towns.

No such thing as customer service anywhere.

"Get off my lawn or you'll soon find out how good a shot I am."

Reactions: Sandhog308
    Agreed. Everyone has his/her own personality and we don't know what the BS complaint actually said. But, if Mr. @Sandhog308 kept his cool, as it sounds like he did, the interaction was likely more like what you laid out than otherwise.

In this case, I think I'd be more irritated by the Power/Light company than the police.
    The police weren’t assholes , but not friendly either. I think they saw what I said was true and left .

I admittedly don’t like people snooping around my house, regardless of occupation but yeah, in my experience it could have gone either way.
    I have dogs that are friendly, yet intimidating when strangers come up to the house. Best for everyone just to come straight to the front door.

No... I would not go near the power company and 'confront' anyone! That will just escalate.

I would have an attorney send the power company a letter explaining your actions. Stating that there was nothing more involved than a good citizen trying to give them information to help them keep their lights on. And stating that in future you will leave the 'lights' issue to them and there will be no more contact from you re. their lights. Thank you and have a nice day. Have them copy the PD if the attorney thinks it is a good idea. Send it registered.

No contact at all.... next step they will accuse you of stalking, being aggressive (confrontational, etc.).

If you knocked them all down and left a BLM sticker, they would be stopping by to apologize for putting their lights on land stolen from Indians. Fuck them.

Sirhr
    Great advice !
    Going to let it die down for now. Have a friend that a lawyer that I’ll talk with…don’t want to spend $$ for one at this time.

Reactions: Slash0311
    I admittedly don’t like people snooping around my house, regardless of occupation but yeah, in my experience it could have gone either way.
    I have dogs that are friendly, yet intimidating when strangers come up to the house. Best for everyone just to come straight to the front door.
    That’s what really bothered me. He had 0 reason snooping around.😡

I'd suggest changing your email address/getting a new email address for future use. Unfortunately, all it takes is for the wrong person to interpret a threat and this can/will happen to you. In some cases, businesses have a zero tolerance policy with stuff like this.

Have a friend make a "suggestion" to the local press about a story on how you (the good samaritan) were taking the time to report the broken lights on behalf of community safety only to have the power company unjustly send out of town police to harass you. Make 'em work for you....have the list of broken lights handy if they interview you.

Sirhr
    You are right!

Definitely understand that... the feeling of a privacy violation. If he saw the garage open, he may have just thought you were outside/back yard, etc and that he might find you there?

If they felt like there was any threat when they arrived, I doubt they would've split-up. I mean, if I really think I'm going to talk to a crazy person, I don't go to the door alone....

First of all if there is 0 evidence of lights being shot out they are making false allegations, harassment and intimidation. Depending on how he was looking in to your garage it could also be a 4th amendment issue. Next if you are unable to address the cheif of police you need to go to the state attorney General since they are responsible for training police. You need to make clear whom ever you are dealing with this is a petition for redress of grievance as that is your right in the first amendment for remedy of the situation. The petition should be written and delivered.

If you're feeling brody send a notice of liability to the power company or the county roads, who ever is responsible for fixing the lights. You'll have to look in to it to make sure who's job that is and you should research a bit on the notice of liability process.

And if you really wanna hit them with some administrative violence, see if you have any neighbors that wanna do the same notice of liability for the lights.

Last edited:
    I hear you brother. Granted I’m a crabby, some might say paranoid vet, but our home is supposed to be the one place we expect a semblance of privacy. I have built redundancy into my homes security. By the time you pull into my drive you’ve already tripped one motion sensor and at least two cameras. I’ll know when someone is at my house before they even get out of their car, whether I’m there or not.

I've reached the point of...

300px-The_Three_Wise_Monkeys%2C_Nikk%C5%8D_T%C5%8Dsh%C5%8D-g%C5%AB%3B_April_2018.jpg

...unless it directly involves me or someone I care about.

Had an Incident happen about 10 years ago. A city Employee in plain clothes was in the back yard. Seeing an unexpected unknown person, btw the drive way is about an 1/8 mile long, I walked out with a shotgun and asked him who he was. Told me and immediately I put the shot gun inside. Any way, He reported me, a cop came by and took a report. Then, when nothing happened, he changed his story and falsely reported me as threatening him and pointing, which I never did.

Total liar.

And, if they were from a different town or county, WTF were they doing outside of their jurisdiction ?
    The bitch-ass power co. employee might have given @Sandhog308 's note to his cop neighbor in another town, who then proceeded to check things out without being dispatched, etc. There may be no report of the complaint or visit at all....

I'll bet if your email address was longshot_260 instead of longshot_308, all the lights (especially the ones farther out) would be non-functional.

Kidding, you ran into a nancy at the power company.

Sirhr
    Might want to have the attorney send a copy to the local and other PD that showed up so everybody is on the same page.

Reactions: FWoo45
    I've reached the point of...

300px-The_Three_Wise_Monkeys%2C_Nikk%C5%8D_T%C5%8Dsh%C5%8D-g%C5%AB%3B_April_2018.jpg

...unless it directly involves me or someone I care about.
    Yep. I USED to always call in when I'd see a big chunk of tractor trailer tire, or other crap, in the highway. Now they always ask for your name and # like you've done something wrong. I just tell them "Thanks, but I dont want a reward, just being a good citizen, bye." and hang up.

Well they’re fucking retarded if they think you’re shooting out street lights and then reporting them.

A lot of cops just assume that everyone they come in contact with is up to no good and I’d bet they were no different.

Personally I’d go to the police department and file a complaint. That’s fucked up that you’re trying to help them out by letting them know what lights are out and you get accused of a crime for trying to do the community a service.
    A fair amount of arson fires are started by firemen...

Whoever called the police on you threatened your life. It is no different than if the man that reported you would have threatened to kill you himself. It’s a shame that people are so quick to do so. This is a huge ordeal and you have every reason to be pissed.